Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Was this a good deal?  (Read 1866 times)

Offline Diamond_D

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Member
  • Who's not honoring me now?
Was this a good deal?
« on: May 04, 2005, 01:06:41 AM »
A few years ago when I was home working for the summer, a kid I worked with offered me a sub for my dorm room that his neighbor was getting rid of. Having very little clue at the time I took it home, listened to it, was impressed, and wrote the dude a check for $40 I think the next day.

Now that I've got my taping rig set, I needed a new obsession to procrastinate during my last month of college, so I've been trying to educate myself in the world of playback audiophilia. Anyway, reading the excellent "What's your system" thread I saw some fluffing of Velodyne, which sounded familiar... I checked, and the random sub I bought was a Velodyne CT-80. Looks like most reviews I can find report purchase prices of $200 - $350!

Not sure what you guys with tons of experience think of this sub, but for tiny dorm rooms it's been amazing, and when I move into an apartment next fall it should make a great addition to a starter system! I guess it just goes to show you never know when a sweet deal will come along! Now I need to start saving to upgrade from my Aiwa 5.0 HT-in-a-box stereo so I can start REALLY listening to my tapes :) :)
SP-C4's > Canare Star Quads > UA5 (bm2p+) > H120

"Drums, Guitars, and Death. They finally got it right."
        Beavis & Butthead

Offline Lil Kim Jong-Il

• Trade Count: (6)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • large Marge sent me
Re: Was this a good deal?
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2005, 10:29:30 AM »
I haven't used that sub in my system, but I have known people with Velodyne subs and they sounded good in the systems I heard. 

You should be happy, that's a nice score.
The first rule of amateur neurosurgery club is .... I forget.

Offline pfife

• Emperor of Ticketucky
  • I love/hate tickets.
« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2005, 10:48:34 AM »
I don't have that one either, but I love my velodyne sub.
Tickets are dead to me.  Except the ones I have, don't have, and lost.  Not to mention the ones you have, don't have, and lost.   And the ones that other dude has, doesn't have, and lost.  Let me know if you need some tickets, I'm happy to oblige. 

Tickets >>>>>>>> Oxygen

Offline John R

• Trade Count: (2)
    • www.tapers.org
« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2005, 12:14:47 AM »
I don't have that one either, but I love my velodyne sub.

me three
we all live downstream.

Offline Ed.

• your popsicle's melting
  • FJ Baby!
« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2005, 01:50:51 AM »
i sold a velodyne sub on ebay a little bit ago, never listened to it tho...but it helped purchase my v3.

Because nothing says "I have lots of money and am sort of confused as to how to spend it" like Bose.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.05 seconds with 29 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com