Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Leegeddy's interconnects v. Audioquest copperheads  (Read 1850 times)

Offline Tim

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Needs to get out more...
Leegeddy's interconnects v. Audioquest copperheads
« on: July 03, 2005, 02:04:34 AM »
been doing some serious a/b tonight since I have the place to myself for the weekend...

I've been a/bing the pair of Leegeddy Bumblebee Miagi-II interconnects that I have with my pair of AudioQuest copperheads ($75/pr for 1m). The copperheads are not highend by any means but they are pretty well regarded cables for the money, I've had them for about 4 months now. I'm not sure exactly what Marc's prices are for the pair of interconnects that I currently have, sorry.

The build on the bumblebee's is excellent as usual, the cable is a little thin... definitely smaller diameter than the AQ's. In the highend I found the bumblebees to be cleaner than the AQ's... the AQ's had this smear on the cymbals that I didn't care for. Marc's cables were clean and smooth...

The midrange was much closer but again I just found the bumblebees to be cleaner and smoother. the midrange didn't seem quite as smeared or colored as the highend but I could detect a bloom of sorts on the guitars.

On the Cowboy Junkies version of "Sweet Jane" I found her vocals to be harsh and brittle when she really stretches it out at the end with the AQ's... the difference in the two cables was extremely noticeable here, Marc's cables clearly outclassed the AQ's.

As for soundstage and imaging, the two cables are very close... one of my system's strenths is the soundstage, width and depth. No complaints about either cable in this department...

I switched the sub off early in the night so as to not disturb the neighbors so I'll get more into that later if anyone is interested...

so the AQ's, which I have been happy with, sound nice. In fact they're on right now and are very enjoyable but the bumblebees have them beat as far as clarity throughout the range, and smoothness in the top end - the latter by a sizeable margin. I'm sure some of the hi-fi gurus on this board have heard better cables, I don't have a true audiophile budget so I can only compare with what I have had a chance to play with myself and once again I come away very pleased with Marc's cables. The sonic differences are pretty classic copper v. silver differences - copper with a slight bloom and silver smooth and clean

I have a pair of miagi-II eries II speaker cables that I'll be reviewing in the future as well as giving my thoughts on one of Marc's power cables.

discs:
Miles Davis - Kind of Blue
Dave Brubeck - Time Out
Thelonious Monk - Straight No Chaser
Cowboy Junkies - Trinity Sessions
Phish - Pebbles and Marbles from the IT Live DVD (no video on though)

gear:
toshiba 3960 coax out (Synergistic Research)->Bel Canto DAC2.0(INTERCONNECTS HERE)->ASL aq1003dt->bumblebee miagii speaker cables series I->B&W602.5Paradigm pdr-8
I’ve had a few weird experiences and a few close brushes with total weirdness of one sort or another, but nothing that’s really freaked me out or made me feel too awful about it. - Jerry Garcia

Offline F.O.Bean

• Team Schoeps Tapir that
  • Trade Count: (126)
  • Taperus Maximus
    • MediaFire Recordings
Re: Leegeddy's interconnects v. Audioquest copperheads
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2005, 02:27:31 AM »
nice review bud!

I knew i struck gold w/ the quality/bargain of these cables ;D
Schoeps MK 4V & MK 41V ->
Schoeps 250|0 KCY's (x2) ->
Naiant +60v|Low Noise PFA's (x2) ->
DarkTrain Right Angle Stubby XLR's (x3) ->
Sound Devices MixPre-6 & MixPre-3

http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/diskobean
http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/Bean420
http://bt.etree.org/mytorrents.php
http://www.mediafire.com/folder/j9eu80jpuaubz/Recordings

Offline leegeddy

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2005, 10:39:37 AM »
tim;

thanks for a thorough review. i run some AQ Coral in my system and the sound difference is noticeable.

i believe i have about 4 pairs of AQ Coral that i'll switch out.

marc
"I'm a taper, he's a taper. Wouldn't you like to be a taper too?"
"Mics? What mics? This is my hat."

Offline Tim

« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2005, 02:07:23 PM »
thank you Marc...
I’ve had a few weird experiences and a few close brushes with total weirdness of one sort or another, but nothing that’s really freaked me out or made me feel too awful about it. - Jerry Garcia

Offline Kyle

• Made it back alive!
  • Trade Count: (2)
  • Still loves his mic pre's
« Reply #4 on: July 03, 2005, 02:20:23 PM »
I have a pair of leegeddy speaker interconnects coming soon and I am excited ;D

should be a nice step up from the monster I have now

nice review!
Schoeps CMC6/MK4  //  Nakamichi CM-300/CP-1/CP-2
E.A.A. PSP-2   // Grace Design Lunatec V2
Sonic AD2K+ 
Tascam HD-P2 (Oade BCM)  //  Sony TC-D5 PROII

Duncan - 12/84 > 8/8/05 - Miss you everyday

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.07 seconds with 30 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com