Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Monitoring: Headphones vs. Computer Speaker  (Read 1842 times)

Offline Thom Joad

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection Member
  • Team TNT!
Monitoring: Headphones vs. Computer Speaker
« on: January 20, 2008, 10:16:57 AM »
Putting a major addition on the house this summer.  Decided to sell off the main playback rig so it wouldn't be exposed to the construction or sitting in boxes not being unused. I've been thinking about starting over from scratch anyway.  Just bought one of those Pioneer HTIB (made for XBOX ones) to get us through the summer for TV/DVD/background music.

I used to use this rig for "sound quality" monitoring, before I track out recordings for which I just use a set of AKG 141's and the computer's headphone out (which surprisingly doesn't sound too bad).  So now I'm left without anyway to make sure something sounds good.  I figure I can either upgrade the crappy speakers that came with the PC or invest in a decent headphone rig.

Couple of things to keep in mind:
Echo Mia soundcard (been using the S/PDIF out)
I wear hearing aids so not all headphones are going to work for me (no IEM's, Grado's, etc)
~$300 to spend

So which would sound better for monitoring my recordings?

FWIW I run 4022>AERCO MP2>671

Offline Jammin72

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Member
Re: Monitoring: Headphones vs. Computer Speaker
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2008, 10:34:35 AM »
Headphones are always the least expensive way to go for serious quality and can represent some very enjoyable listening experiences taboot.  Only caveat there is that if you're doing mixing and you're purposely placing tracks in various spots of the soundstage a set of monitors will give you a better idea of what's happening for most folks that are going to listen in that domain.

There is a flood of Chinese Headphone amps that use USB and sound darn good for the money out there if you need to save a buck.  Check out the Zero 24bit on eBay, full opAmp rolling available for both the DAC and the Amp sections, elna Caps, small footprint and will drive any set of cans with authority.  There are still some HD580's out there for not a terrible amount of money new and always cropping up used.  I think that setup makes for a more than ample serious monitoring rig for less than $375
Not sure what your budget intent was.

Have fun and kudos for having the balls to sell the main rig  :)
Yes, but what do you HEAR?

Offline boojum

• Needs to get out more...
« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2008, 01:34:29 AM »
If you are going to do any serious mixing you will need monitors.  A good stereo recording will sound like it has a big hole in the middle when played through headphones.  When played on monitors it will sound correctly spaced.  Also, if you have read Michael Williams' "Stereophonic Zoom" you will see how sounds can get squashed on the edges or center of the sound field if the mics are not set up properly.

Williams' paper in short form is available on the Rycote site.  I recommend it to all who wish to become better at capturing audio.  It has valuable and simple advice for placing omnis and cards to get a good and authentic spread.

Cheers
Nov schmoz kapop.

Offline Thom Joad

• Taperssection Member
  • Team TNT!
« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2008, 06:04:24 PM »
Thanks for the replies!

I'm not going to be using this setup for mixing, placing tracks, etc.  At most it would be used to apply any minor EQ to recordings that need it.  Most of my recordings do not.  My main use for this set up will be to have a way to critically check the sound quality of the recordings to see if they do need any work.  Also, this is just temporary until next fall when I get to re-build my main 2 channel system that I can run the recordings through to check the sound.

So, what would sound better (keeping in mind my ~$300 pricetag):

A. DAC/headphone amp>headphones

B. upgraded computer speakers or possibly a set of powered monitors (if I could afford anything "good")

Offline Jammin72

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2008, 06:23:07 PM »
If it's frequency issues you're after with a small rig.... Headphones!

For imaging... not so much.
Yes, but what do you HEAR?

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.049 seconds with 33 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com