Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: recording strings question  (Read 1520 times)

Offline spcyrfc

• Trade Count: (8)
  • Taperssection Member
  • Live from River City
    • BordersCrossing.net
recording strings question
« on: December 29, 2009, 09:00:02 PM »
i have recently been recording a band that has three fiddles (at times they function as violins) and a cello played thru a fender twin.  the fiddles go thru the meek PA that the fender blows away.  I have been setting my levels conservatively, often times with music below the 12db mark.  The cello, at times, blows the fiddles away.

should i let it ride and try and boost the quiet parts in post, or should i be riding the levels trying to keep the music above 12db?

recording strings and reeds raises, for me, the same question.  these instruments are very dynamic.  i record with the philosophy that it is best to avoid OVER.  should i revise my philosophy?  i record at 24/48

thanks all.
luke
mkh8040>aerco mp-2>pcmd-50
PFS: AKG 414xls

Record Local

www.borderscrossing.net

Offline RobertNC

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Taperssection Member
Re: recording strings question
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2009, 10:36:57 PM »
Is there something that you feel like you are missing by running conservatively?

As long as your equipment is good enough to have a reasonably quiet noise floor, there is nothing technically unsound about lower volume recordings in the 24bit realm.  I generally try to run any kind of recording so that I never peak much over -12dB.

Riding the levels in real time is not something I would do, especially in 24bit.  As far as adjusting the levels in post at some variable rate, I know there are different philosophies and some people routinely use compression etc.  My own preference is if the original presentation is very dynamic, I think the subsequent representation should retain that same dynamic element as well.  If it is so extreme that it is difficult to listen to, I might try to compress some parts, but I don't like a lot of production on amateur recordings.

The issue of one instrument overpowering the others is something you might can address with variable gains in terms of making a more listenable recording in terms of end to end volume, but it is fundamentally a "mix" flaw and with two ambient mics, there is only so much you can do.

I don't know if it would help, and can guess it might in fact make things even worse, but I think between a combination of the fact that you are running two distinctly different signals into each mic, and I assume that the Fender is basically in front, it might be interesting to at least see what you get from a Mid-Side recording.

SD:  Microtech Gefell M210 > Silver Clad XLRs > SD722
LD:                   ADK A51 TL > Silver Clad XLRs > SD722
Guns:               DPA 4017    > Silver Clad XLRs > SD722

Offline spcyrfc

• Trade Count: (8)
  • Taperssection Member
  • Live from River City
    • BordersCrossing.net
Re: recording strings question
« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2009, 02:22:21 PM »
this band plays is in a small room and, they are the FOH.  i guess i'll ask the cellist to turn down a bit.
riding the levels does suck and can cause more harm than good.  i try not to do it.

mid-side would be nice.  still waiting on senn to come out with an 8000 series 8.

thanks for the suggestions.

cheers
mkh8040>aerco mp-2>pcmd-50
PFS: AKG 414xls

Record Local

www.borderscrossing.net

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.05 seconds with 27 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com