Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: trying to get a stereo recording  (Read 1945 times)

Offline panther65

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Regular
trying to get a stereo recording
« on: November 27, 2006, 05:41:25 PM »
I taped David Grisman Quintet at the Troy Savings Bank Music Hall last week. The hall is considered to have some of the best acoustics in North America. The sound was great and I could hear some seperation of the instruments. Flute was mostly from the left, guitar was mostly from the right-in other words, basically as the musicians stood. When listening to the recording however, I can hear little or no seperation. All instruments are glommed in the center. My mic configuration was ORTF and I sat halfway back in the hall. Wondering if M/S would give the impression of more of a stereo soundstage. I have the ability to do M/S with my VMS5U. Is there a better mic configuration for stereo seperation?
Running MK4s and a Tascam HD-P2.
Schoeps MK4>KCY250/5I>Schoeps VMS 5 U>Tascam HD-P2

stirinthesauce

Re: trying to get a stereo recording
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2006, 06:15:37 PM »
I taped David Grisman Quintet at the Troy Savings Bank Music Hall last week. The hall is considered to have some of the best acoustics in North America. The sound was great and I could hear some seperation of the instruments. Flute was mostly from the left, guitar was mostly from the right-in other words, basically as the musicians stood. When listening to the recording however, I can hear little or no seperation. All instruments are glommed in the center. My mic configuration was ORTF and I sat halfway back in the hall. Wondering if M/S would give the impression of more of a stereo soundstage. I have the ability to do M/S with my VMS5U. Is there a better mic configuration for stereo seperation?
Running MK4s and a Tascam HD-P2.

Just curious as I didn't see you mention or noted in your sig.  How do you plan on doing m/s without a fig 8 cap?

Your side cap is a fig 8 and your mid normally would be a card though not necessarily. 

As for stereo recordings, the impact zone is the best place for that, at least in me experience.  Think of a triangle.  You will be equidistant from the PA as main stack are apart from each other.  Nothing though beats recording all acoustic ensembles/orchestras for stereo imaging using a stereo config.  You will never want to go back after that  ;)

Offline panther65

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2006, 08:56:36 PM »
At the moment lacking a fig 8 cap but would get one if the results are good.
Perhaps I'm too far back to get stereo imaging.
I however, have yet to hear an audience recording that conveys a decent stereo image.
I like classical music, so maybe I'll try an orchestral recording. I have not come across an acoustic band/duo etc. that plays without any amplification at all. Which ones have you seen?

stirinthesauce

« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2006, 09:08:43 PM »
As for orchestral, just one this summer.  70+ musicians.  Ran cards DIN in the center, flanking subcards.  Here is a link to the pics/discussion.  http://taperssection.com/index.php?topic=68805.0  Stereo imaging was amazing.  Other all acoustic was my sister's wedding.  We hired a bluegrass band for the reception.  Ran from about 3' away with omnis spaced about 18" pointing to the outside of the group with cards DINa run lower in the mix.  Great stereo imaging on that too.  I find less imaging on PA driven, but still get it when in the sweet spot/impact zone.  Onstage is also fun for a good stereo image.  Even from a mono mix, with a stereo mic config, it will sometime sound "stereo" in playback.   Remember, location is everything.  I also find I can really hear the separation on a good set of cans rather than as much from my playback.  Of course YMMV.  This is all from my personal experiences.

Offline panther65

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #4 on: November 27, 2006, 10:09:00 PM »
Cool stuff! I'm from upstate NY, but played tennis for a school in Alabama and we played Sewanee a couple of times. It was ages ago, but remember how cool the U was. Very rural drive to get there. Lots of farmhouses. We had breakfast at a small place up the road. Nice school in the hills of Tn.
Unamplified music is the way to go to get the best stereo. I'll be on the lookout for something that comes my way.
Bill

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.063 seconds with 29 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com