Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Mixing Stereo Techniques  (Read 2061 times)

Offline TAlderson

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection Newbie
Mixing Stereo Techniques
« on: October 18, 2013, 10:11:51 PM »
I'm wondering if it's a no-no to use two different stereo techniques to make a recording. A friend was wondering if I'd help him with some recording at low-key gigs, and he's got an H4n. I was thinking of putting the recorder (XY internals) up close to him, then placing an ORTF setup back further to get more of the room sound. Would this sound OK? Would a spaced pair of omnis be better for the room? I just don't want to have problems in the mix.

Offline Phil Zone

• Trade Count: (22)
  • Taperssection All-Star
Re: Mixing Stereo Techniques
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2013, 10:55:43 PM »
Sure you can mix to different configurations, I think that's the best way. But always beware of the sound in the room, personally I would never run an omni inside unless I'm onstage. If you can I'd put both as close as you can to the source and then widen up your mics if you want some room sound. I'm just starting to undergo the transition to 4 track recording myself, so I would suspect ill usually run hypers pointed at stacks then a din config for the other set.

Good luck
Microphones: AKG 460B, 480B, Naiant Actives,CK1,CK61,CK62,CK63, CK69, Busman BSC-1, CA-14
Preamps: Naiant Littlebox, Naiant Tinyhead
Recorders: Zoom F6, Tascam DR-05

LMA Shows: http://archive.org/search.php?query=taper%3A%22Cam%20Keough%22&sort=-date

Offline Gutbucket

• record > listen > revise technique
  • Trade Count: (16)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • "Better to love music than respect it" ~Stravinsky
Re: Mixing Stereo Techniques
« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2013, 06:17:29 PM »
If the purpose is gaining mixing control by using one pair of mics for up close direct sound and a second pair for ambient room sound, you want to reduce the amount of direct band sound in the room mics and the room sound in the direct mics.  You can then blend them to get a good balance, otherwise if you have direct sound in both it limits the control you gain over that direct/reverberant balance.   

Your close mics (the X/Y mics in the Zoom placed close to the source) are synonomous with a dry soundboard feed, the room mics provide the sense of space, ambience, and crowd reaction.

In that case, omnis can be a good choice for an ambient room pair.  Spaced omnis are one of the best configurations for recording an ambient enviroment with a nice sense of space.  I sometimes put them below the stagelip facing the audience so that the stage is blocking the direct sound coming from the band on stage but the sound of the room and audience is clear.

You can mix two pairs both of which were setup to get a decently balanced sound on their own, but that offers far less balance control and more potential interaction problems.  It may sound good or it may not, but two sepearate pairs run that way are usually more valuable for comparison between the two or simply for redundancy in case one pair has a problem.
musical volition > vibrations > voltages > numeric values > voltages > vibrations> virtual teleportation time-machine experience
Better recording made easy - >>Improved PAS table<< | Made excellent- >>click here to download the Oddball Microphone Technique illustrated PDF booklet<< (note: This is a 1st draft, now several years old and in need of revision!  Stay tuned)

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.035 seconds with 29 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com