Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: AT853's > Deneke PS-2 > MT24/96...HELP! how do I keep from brickwalling?  (Read 6849 times)

Offline symoka01

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection Regular
Please help! I just picked up AT853's and a Deneke PS2 with 1/8" jack going into my MT24/96.  I'm taping a loud show on Tuesday but while testing my new rig today at home, I could not keep the test from brickwalling...even though my MT was on the lowest possible input setting.  Can anyone tell me how the hell I can get these mics to keep from brickwalling loud sources? I used to use CSC's (core sound stealthy cards) and had no probs at all with brickwalling. 

I'm pretty new to phantom power mics.  Do I want to keep the phantom power setting on my MT off? What can I do? I'm at a loss as to what I should do.

Any advice is appreciated.

Thanks!

nameloc01

• Trade Count: (0)
strange i have the same mics and power supply. and, even though i've only used them 3xs so far, the results lead me to believe that this combo is very hard to brickwall ( in fact, there were occasions where i EXPECTED them too and they did not what so ever.). did you test them with your stereo or something, if so,man thats like minimal SPLs and something is way wrong. i have never used an MT so i cant help with that.hang in there, i'm sure someone will intervene that may know what the hell is going on.

so the MT is capable of providing PP? i would think that should be off, since you're running the PS-2.
« Last Edit: June 22, 2007, 08:36:23 PM by nameloc01 »

Offline Zaphod

• Taperssection All-Star
Are you running mic-in or line-in on the MT?
we are the people the rescuers will never find

Offline symoka01

• Taperssection Regular
Are you running mic-in or line-in on the MT?

Yea, I don't know what is wrong.  I've been running them mic-in using the 1'8" jack.  Even with my MT input settings at the lowest possible setting, it brickwalls when i put it up to my decent speakers at a pretty loud level...nowhere near a loud rock show though.  So I have my AT853's feeding into the Deneke PS-2, with a new duracell 9v battery, feeding into my MT via the 1'8" jack.  Any suggestions?

Offline Zaphod

• Taperssection All-Star
Try running line-in into the MT, I bet that will solve your problem.

Offline symoka01

• Taperssection Regular

I only have the 1/8" jack Deneke PS-2.  Can I run that line in? is there an easy way to convert the Deneke ps-2 to line in if its not possible with the 1/8" jack?

Offline Zaphod

• Taperssection All-Star

I only have the 1/8" jack Deneke PS-2.  Can I run that line in? is there an easy way to convert the Deneke ps-2 to line in if its not possible with the 1/8" jack?

Nope you'll need an XLR to 1/4" male adapter to run line in....

Question is why are you running a PS2 when the MT provides phantom power via line-in?

nameloc01

the denecke has a 1/8 male line out.. what does the MT have?.. a 1/4 in or a 1/8 in.
yeah, whatever you need to do to run the denecke into the line in jack is what probably needs to be done.my mic ins on my hi-mds do the same thing,i always run line in.

i am a little confused as to what you are saying.where would the XLR adaptor come in?(other than between the mics and denecke, unless you dont have a ps-2 model and you need 2 male mini XLRs to single 1/8 male for the output)
 you should have this:
  mics(mini xlrs)>nady cbm 40s ( i assume)>denecke ps-2 (1/8 male line out)> line in MT.
« Last Edit: June 22, 2007, 10:05:26 PM by nameloc01 »

Offline Zaphod

• Taperssection All-Star
the denecke has a 1/8 male line out.. what does the MT have?.. a 1/4 in or a 1/8 in.
yeah, whatever you need to do to run the denecke into the line in jack is what probably needs to be done.

Unless its been modded the PS2 has XLR outs I'm fairly certain.

nameloc01

yeah, whatever you need to do to run the denecke into the line in jack is what probably needs to be done.

Unless its been modded the PS2 has XLR outs I'm fairly certain.

they do come like that.SP sells the PS-2, which had the XLRs (out) modded to a 1/8 male.if you dont have this mod, they sell a cable that is double mini XLR to a 1/8 male.
i have the modded ps-2. its a lot easier not having to deal with that extra cable.

Offline bluntforcetrauma

• Trade Count: (11)
  • Taperssection Member
    • http://themovementschool.org
running the denecke with the 1/8 " might be a problem" i dont know.  I run the Denecke with XLR's with DPA 4002 mics.  The 1/8" does not have the 3 pin like the XLR to handle the input.  this is probably totally useless to you.

Do you need the Ps2 to run the AT 853's?

nameloc01

the 853 need phantom power to run correctly, otherwise they are very easily overpowered ( with a standard BB)

Offline symoka01

• Taperssection Regular
Yes, I have the Deneke ps-2 w/ the 1/8" jack mod.  therefore I am not certain if I am even capable of running line in. I was told that getting the ps-2 for my AT853's would be all I need to record via my Microtrack. I can record but like I said, it still brickwalls quite easily.  I was hoping to tape on tuesday using it but I wouldn't be able to get a part by then I dont think.  Any suggestions on what can be done based on what I currently have?

nameloc01

Yes, I have the Deneke ps-2 w/ the 1/8" jack mod.  therefore I am not certain if I am even capable of running line in. I was told that getting the ps-2 for my AT853's would be all I need to record via my Microtrack. I can record but like I said, it still brickwalls quite easily.  I was hoping to tape on tuesday using it but I wouldn't be able to get a part by then I dont think.  Any suggestions on what can be done based on what I currently have?
you need to run that 1/8 line that is coming out of the denecke, into the LINE IN JACK on the MT, not the MIC IN  on the MT. it does have a LINE IN jack right?

Offline Church-Audio

• Trade Count: (44)
  • Needs to get out more...

the 853 need phantom power to run correctly, otherwise they are very easily overpowered ( with a standard BB)

That's not totally true.. With my 4.7k mod you dont even need a battery box. You just need a good recorder with a good built in preamp for really loud shows... And for quieter ones a good external 2 wire preamp and the 853 mics will perform as well or better then with phantom power.

Chris
for warranty returns email me at
EMAIL Sales@church-audio.com

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.092 seconds with 39 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com