Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Recording with an iOS device?  (Read 1105 times)

Offline deejayen

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Newbie
Recording with an iOS device?
« on: February 27, 2024, 01:33:23 PM »
I'm wondering what it would be like to record with an iOS device.  I suspect it might be require a lot of components and cables to hook everything together, so it might be less convenient than a standalone recorder, but I'm curious about some of the details.

I know I'd need a portable Class Compliant interface with a mic preamp.

Presumably I'd also need a power bank to power the interface. 

I think I'd also need an Apple Camera to USB adaptor, but are there different versions of this? I read someone saying they'd bought the wrong one and needed one with power.

What about software - I'd just need a mono or stereo recorder.  I've seen the Hindenburg Pro app mentioned, but that might do more editing than I'd need.  However, if the recording side is simple to operate then it would do the job.

Where would the audio files be created and saved - directly on the iOS device or somewhere on the Cloud?

Finally, how would I get WAV files of the recording into my Windows DAW?

Offline heva

• Taperssection Regular
Re: Recording with an iOS device?
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2024, 01:45:39 PM »
Get the cck with the power option. Connect iphone to windows and trust the device, then copy filesin Explorer; alternatively you could try iTunes to copy files.

Offline grawk

• Trade Count: (6)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2024, 01:54:17 PM »
apogee metarecorder is the most popular recording software for iOS.  Works well, also supports dropbox for file sharing, but there are a number of ways to copy the files off the phone.

There are a few preamp/dacs that support the iPhone natively, they get discussed here frequently.

You want the camera connection kit with a usb port and a lightning port, so you can hook up an external battery if you need it.

Files are saved to the phone itself, generally.  You can also livestream if that's what you want to do.
4015gs/4018vlgs/kk14->mma:a d-vice/sonosax minir82/sonosax sx-m2d2/nagra vi/lectrosonics spdr

Offline deejayen

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2024, 02:45:30 PM »
Thanks - that's very helpful.

Offline rocksuitcase

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Needs to get out more...
    • RockSuitcase: stage photography
« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2024, 06:02:46 PM »
I'm wondering what it would be like to record with an iOS device. 
I know I'd need a portable Class Compliant interface with a mic preamp.
Finally, how would I get WAV files of the recording into my Windows DAW?
I roll with kindms who records using an iPhone.
He uses a Sonosax SX-M2D2 but there are others.
He uses a talentcell 11000 maH to run both Pre-amp and phone
metarecorder uses CAFS files for longer than 2GB files. You then use a converter to create .wav from CAFS
Hopefully he or someone else will chime in and add to this and/or correct me.
music IS love

When you get confused, listen to the music play!

Mics:         AKG460|CK61|CK1|CK3|CK8|Beyer M 201E|DPA 4060 SK
Recorders:Marantz PMD661 OADE Concert mod; Tascam DR680 MKI x2; Sony PCM-M10

Offline deejayen

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2024, 03:49:22 AM »
metarecorder uses CAFS files for longer than 2GB files. You then use a converter to create .wav from CAFS

Thanks!  The Sonosax is something I'm interested in. I'd probably try a cheaper interface first, but if I got on with this method of recording I'd consider upgrading to that.

I thought the Sonosax had an internal battery - do you know if it's possible to run everything without the external battery pack for shorter recording sessions?

Offline breakonthru

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection Regular
« Reply #6 on: February 28, 2024, 07:07:55 AM »
" I suspect it might be require a lot of components and cables to hook everything together, so it might be less convenient than a standalone recorder, but I'm curious about some of the details."

depends on the setup. in many cases it is more complex and less fool-proof than a standalone recorder. the primary function of a phone is not to run your recording app and its doing any number of other things at a given time, where dedicated recorders are single purpose and rarely crash/reboot/fail to do their job

"I know I'd need a portable Class Compliant interface with a mic preamp."

yes it must be class-compliant, but does not need to have a preamp in all cases. your particular setup might be already powering the mics and feeding it a line signal. its important to distinguish what a "preamp" does. fundamentally it amplifies a mic-level signal to line level for recording at proper level. that said there are a zillion preamps from multi-thousand dollar dedicated boxes, to a simple analog gain corcuit or digital algorithim in the recording device itself. when you  say to "need to have a preamp", mostpeople would take it one of two ways:
-you need something with a gain stage that can make a decent recording with mic level signals
-you need a device to power the mics as well

the latter is technically a  "power supply", which are often integrated into what we consider to be a preamp. to complicate things, not all mics take the same power. most common are mics which require phantom power (typically 48V, sometimes called P48, but can be as low as 12-24V). jsut about any microphone that has an XLR connection wants (or will work with) P48, it is the standard

examples of class compliant interfaces that phantom power mics as well as provide gain would be something like motu M2, any of the scarlett usb mic pres, rme babyface, apogee duet, sonosax sx-m2d2, etc.

while these are all great units they are usually designed for other purposes (home studios, etc) and are pretty bulky relative to say a zoom F3, centrance mixerface, or other stand alone recorders and add points of failure between the phone itself and the extra cabling in between. an intermittent analog connection in a rig might cause noise. an intermittent connetion between a phone and recorder might sink your whole recording

to complicate things, not all microphones require phantom power. some use lower voltages like 2-5V ("bias voltage" often called 'plug-in-power (PIP) ) and this ranges from $5 electrets up to top-shelf small condensers like the DPA series which are designed to run with either P48 mic bodies, or bodies which use 5V bias power. these mics can often be adapted to run on P48 via off-the shelf adapters

examples of class-compliant devices which provide bias power: sonosax sx-m2, dpa d:vice
examples of standalone devices which provide bias power: most handheld recorders (though the 2-3V is too low for recording loud concerts with most mics), recorders and transmitters from zaxcom/lectrosonics/deity like lectrosonics SPDR, deity BP-TRX and (hopefully soon) pr2. Probably some otehrs i am forgetting.

but thats if your mic needs power. if you have a separate power supply/preamp you can also record to a phone using line in, such as with the rode AI-micro, or dpa-dvice with modified cabling.. i would hesitate to recommend a phone setup to take line in as there are so many small recorders such as the sony A10 that are smaller, more reliable, and have longer battery life than a phone

"Presumably I'd also need a power bank to power the interface.

I think I'd also need an Apple Camera to USB adaptor, but are there different versions of this? I read someone saying they'd bought the wrong one and needed one with power."

not necessarily. depends on the interface. larger ones that provide P48 like a motu M2 need a camera adapter to power the unit from an external source. an iphone with one simple cable connection can power a d:vice running mics for 7-10+hour and there is no camera adapter or external power needed
sonosax sx-m2d2 doesn't "need" battery power but i don't know how long it lasts in real world situations. today its common to bring a power bank into a show so no big deal with security

"What about software - I'd just need a mono or stereo recorder.  I've seen the Hindenburg Pro app mentioned, but that might do more editing than I'd need.  "

apogee metarecorder as mentioned

"Where would the audio files be created and saved - directly on the iOS device or somewhere on the Cloud?"

on the device initially. as mentioned, metarecorder can send to dropbox right after the show if you dont mind burning 2GB on your data

"Finally, how would I get WAV files of the recording into my Windows DAW?"

4 ways:
1. via itunes
2. via third party app like copytrans filey
3. via external usb stick like a sandisk ixpand
4. get on wifi> send to dropbox>download

hope that helps
« Last Edit: February 28, 2024, 07:10:35 AM by breakonthru »

Offline deejayen

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #7 on: February 28, 2024, 09:05:26 AM »
Yes, that's very helpful, thanks!

I'd mainly be using it to record at home with a single dynamic mic, although I'd like the option to be able to use a condensor mic with 48V phantom power.  I was thinking along the lines of a small Motu interface (M2 or Microbook IIC) initially to test the concept, and if it all works out I'd probably buy an M2D2.  I wouldn't need a long record time (less than 1 hour, and maybe 30 minutes would do).  The built-in battery of the M2D2 definitely seems convenient, but I could probably live with external power to another interface for now.

I don't actually have an iOS device, but was thinking about buying a used iPod Touch (either 6th Gen or 7th Gen).  However, I'd need to make sure the field recorder software would work with these.  I think the Apogee one runs under iOS 10, so should be fine, but Hindenburg seems to require iOS 14 which would rule out the 6th Gen.

Offline grawk

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #8 on: February 28, 2024, 09:11:07 AM »
so you don't have an IOS device, you don't have a device to use with the IOS device, and you don't have microphones, and your goal is to record yourself playing music?

Check out this device: https://zoomcorp.com/en/us/handheld-recorders/handheld-recorders/h1essential/

It's not as fun to imagine all the great things you can do with it, but it does what you want to do, designed for what you want to do, and is $99
4015gs/4018vlgs/kk14->mma:a d-vice/sonosax minir82/sonosax sx-m2d2/nagra vi/lectrosonics spdr

Offline deejayen

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #9 on: February 28, 2024, 09:34:41 AM »
I'm not looking for that type of device, thanks.  I have a Zoom H4N anyway, but it's not really ideal for what I need.

I already have microphones and an audio interface, but the interface is tied to my studio PC, so I'm happy to buy a more portable unit which could be used with my laptop or another portable device (ie an iOS device).

I'm just curious about recording with an iOS device.  It might not work out for me, but I'd like to give it a go.  I think it makes sense to try the concept and the apps without buying a fairly expensive Sonosax and then discovering I don't get on with the iOS-style configuration and recording process. 

I've been close to buying a Zoom F3, so that's still in the mix, as is a MixPre-3.

Offline aaronji

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (9)
« Reply #10 on: February 28, 2024, 10:26:26 AM »
Just get a MixPre-3 (or F3). Every extra connection is a potential point of failure. With the MP3, you just plug in your mics. P48 if needed. Simple to operate and easy to get the data out. Portable. Especially considering you are talking about buying an outdated iOS device from a discontinued product line. The batteries are also difficult to replace and long in the tooth, at this point.

Offline kindms

• The Breakfast
« Reply #11 on: February 28, 2024, 01:27:16 PM »

Thanks!  The Sonosax is something I'm interested in. I'd probably try a cheaper interface first, but if I got on with this method of recording I'd consider upgrading to that.

I thought the Sonosax had an internal battery - do you know if it's possible to run everything without the external battery pack for shorter recording sessions?

Yes. m2d2 has internal rechargeable battery and ios has its own battery

i only run external for longer run times and peace of mind

if you have newer iphone with usb-c you should be able to go direct to phone without need for camera adapter as well
AKG c426, AKG414 XLS/ST, AKG ck61, ck22, >nBob colettes >PFA > V3, SD MixPre >  TCM-Mod Tascam HDP2, Sony M10
Little Bear tube Pre >Outlaw Audio 2200 Monoblocks > VR-2's

Offline Ronmac

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #12 on: February 28, 2024, 02:20:10 PM »
Just get a MixPre-3 (or F3). Every extra connection is a potential point of failure. With the MP3, you just plug in your mics. P48 if needed. Simple to operate and easy to get the data out. Portable. Especially considering you are talking about buying an outdated iOS device from a discontinued product line. The batteries are also difficult to replace and long in the tooth, at this point.

^^^This

Both of the above devices will act as an audio interface, as well.

Offline kindms

• The Breakfast
« Reply #13 on: February 28, 2024, 04:32:25 PM »

just a fwiw i use an iphone 7 w/ metarecorder. its got more than enough horespower for 24bit recording if folks are wondering if they need something special etc. its an older phone i had after an upgrade but your point about dated hw still stands.
AKG c426, AKG414 XLS/ST, AKG ck61, ck22, >nBob colettes >PFA > V3, SD MixPre >  TCM-Mod Tascam HDP2, Sony M10
Little Bear tube Pre >Outlaw Audio 2200 Monoblocks > VR-2's

Offline aaronji

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (9)
« Reply #14 on: February 28, 2024, 05:23:45 PM »
No doubt. But if I was trying to put together a new rig right now, for the OP's stated purpose, I don't think I would start with an iPod that was discontinued, what, two years ago, especially when there are some easy, decent all in one solutions for him. Apple is also pretty protective of their space; the currently available versions of the apps might not be useable with an older device on a new install.

All of that said, I am pretty jealous of your Sonosax/iPhone rig! I think about taking the plunge, but I always end up blowing money on tickets and travel instead...

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.08 seconds with 40 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com