Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: End of power problems?  (Read 6009 times)

zowie

• Trade Count: (0)
End of power problems?
« on: February 03, 2004, 02:56:52 AM »
Hope the question is not naive, but is there any reason one of these type things (cut and paste, don't click, link):

http://store.l-f-l.com/cgi-bin/cp-app.cgi?rrc=N&pg=prod&ref=CAR-ADAPTER-600

plus whatever 12V battery/pack one might care to clamp it to is not the ticket to using pretty much any devices we want in the field?
« Last Edit: February 03, 2004, 03:10:14 AM by zowie »

Offline leegeddy

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection All-Star
Re:End of power problems?
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2004, 03:20:14 AM »
Hope the question is not naive, but is there any reason one of these type things (cut and paste, don't click, link):

http://store.l-f-l.com/cgi-bin/cp-app.cgi?rrc=N&pg=prod&ref=CAR-ADAPTER-600

plus whatever 12V battery/pack one might care to clamp it to is not the ticket to using pretty much any devices we want in the field?

that gadget is a DC>AC converter or simply called an inverter.  it's input is 10-15v DC, it's output is 110V AC.

you could run your laptop with it in the field.

marc
"I'm a taper, he's a taper. Wouldn't you like to be a taper too?"
"Mics? What mics? This is my hat."

zowie

« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2004, 03:31:34 AM »
I was fantasizing about being able to use all the quality studio front ends that take regala IEC cable AC, like MOTU.   Or recording 24/96 to a reliable Masterlink.  Or . . .

Offline leegeddy

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2004, 03:41:33 AM »
I was fantasizing about being able to use all the quality studio front ends that take regala IEC cable AC, like MOTU.   Or recording 24/96 to a reliable Masterlink.  Or . . .

definitely possible.  i would love to drag the Universal Audios 2192 A>D converter to a gig.

marc

Offline BCostigan

• I can resist everything except temptation
  • Trade Count: (2)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • Loose Lucy is my delight
    • GranitePhotography
« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2004, 07:20:10 AM »
Also remember that the conversion rate is about 3:1 using an inverter.  That means for every 3aH the battery puts out you get 1aH (too early in the am to convert to watts) of AC current.   I looked into this and you wind up lugging a car battery around.  :P
"A Hippie is someone who walks like Tarzan, looks like Jane, and smells like Cheetah."  ~Ronald Reagan

Offline leegeddy

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2004, 08:41:40 AM »
Also remember that the conversion rate is about 3:1 using an inverter.  That means for every 3aH the battery puts out you get 1aH (too early in the am to convert to watts) of AC current.   I looked into this and you wind up lugging a car battery around.  :P

i wouldn't doubt that at all.  if you get the 300W model and you draw full power, the inverter needs to supply 300W/120V = 2.5A, and these inverters probably run at best around 90-95% according to some specs, so let's use 85% in the real world.......2.5A/85% = ~ 3A.  yup!! you'll need a big Die Hard to run it for several hours.

marc

zowie

« Reply #6 on: February 03, 2004, 11:24:22 AM »
Yeah, but the assumption of full power is bad.  I'm sure one could use gear that consumes it, but add up your own gear's actual requirements and you'll probably come out closer to 25%.  I was thinking one of the cheap and manageably-sized 7A lead acid rechargables would be serviceable.

Offline leegeddy

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #7 on: February 03, 2004, 12:05:36 PM »
Yeah, but the assumption of full power is bad.  I'm sure one could use gear that consumes it, but add up your own gear's actual requirements and you'll probably come out closer to 25%.  I was thinking one of the cheap and manageably-sized 7A lead acid rechargables would be serviceable.

i'm sure you could run something under full power. many electronic gears comsumes less than 75W. a preamp would probably use more. a tube pre, even more.  a home DAT deck would probably use around 50 or so.

it's definitely do-able with a large enough power supply.

marc

Offline VA_TAPER

• Taperssection Member
  • SPA AKG C33E->Hamptone HVTP2->Tascam DV-RA1000 DSD
« Reply #8 on: February 03, 2004, 08:13:41 PM »
The biggest problems with inverters is that they are noisy as hell (not acoustically but electronically) spewing all kinds of garbage and DC switching noise downstream in to your gear, which then manifests itself as noise in your recordings.  There are one or two brands of high end pure sine filtered inverters.  Chris Brown uses them to power his trak2, off hand I don't know of the brand name.  

peace, chris
My recordings and transfers at archive.org: http://www.archive.org/search.php?query=berryman%20AND%20mediatype%3Aetree%20AND%20collection%3Aetree

“Those who cast the votes decide nothing. Those who count the votes decide everything.”  Joseph Stalin

jpschust

« Reply #9 on: February 04, 2004, 01:03:51 AM »
well most are noisy as hell acoustically too!

Offline MattD

• Taper Emeritus
« Reply #10 on: February 04, 2004, 09:13:27 AM »
Chris Brown uses them to power his trak2, off hand I don't know of the brand name.  

Do you mean Chris Jones? I think he uses a Lind.
Out of the game … for now?

Offline Bri

• Complaint Dept.
  • There is nothing you can hold, for very long.
« Reply #11 on: February 04, 2004, 04:34:38 PM »
http://www.wwtsasia.com/generator.htm

would be nice if we could get one of these to 12v!

Bri

jpschust

« Reply #12 on: February 04, 2004, 08:28:55 PM »
dude only if you are gonna stand there and crank my gear for me.

Offline VA_TAPER

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #13 on: February 05, 2004, 03:15:52 PM »
Chris Brown uses them to power his trak2, off hand I don't know of the brand name.  

Do you mean Chris Jones? I think he uses a Lind.

Yeah, that was my bad!

chris
My recordings and transfers at archive.org: http://www.archive.org/search.php?query=berryman%20AND%20mediatype%3Aetree%20AND%20collection%3Aetree

“Those who cast the votes decide nothing. Those who count the votes decide everything.”  Joseph Stalin

Offline VA_TAPER

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #14 on: February 05, 2004, 03:18:47 PM »
http://www.exeltech.com/

this is what I remember him using, not sure if he is still running it or not.

chris

Offline Lee

• Team Bama
  • "I hate the f***in' eagles, man!"
« Reply #15 on: February 13, 2004, 05:51:58 PM »
http://www.wwtsasia.com/generator.htm

would be nice if we could get one of these to 12v!

Bri

anyone ever see those little "shaker" flashlights that generate power by shaking them real fast?  I'm envisioning a 12v model that we can attach to a particularly rowdy dancing w00k, run a 50ft cable back to the section, and power everyone's rig.  Here's hoping...
Denon AVR 3808ci > Paradigm Reference Studio 20 + Velodyne DLS 3750

Offline softy

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #16 on: February 16, 2004, 11:24:57 AM »
You should probably email them, maybe they can get one for you.  Those hand generators look really cool!

Offline sickrick43

• Taperssection All-Star
  • I'm NOT a fucking llama!
« Reply #17 on: March 09, 2004, 08:59:08 AM »

?Diehard Car Battery?

DON'T LAUGH!!  I had a friend (Tony Lochner) who dragged one around on a luggage cart to run his Nak PCM & Sony Beta deck, back in '82/'83 - and ran this FOB at Dead shows.  You'd have REAL FUN trying to get on on an AIRPLANE nowadays though.

Rick
4 Track & CD Live Rig: TLM-170's->V3->SD-744T  CDLive->TC Finalzer Express->Tascam CDR-900SL

24 Track Rig: Audix D6/D2/D4/I5/SCX1-C/O->Whilrwind SPC82 ISO Splitters->DigimaxLT's->Alesis HD24 (Lucid GenX192 Master Clock)

Canon 1Ds MarkII - 16-35/2.8L - 24-70/2.8L - 70-200/2.8L IS - 180/f:3.5 Macro - 550EX Flash

"this isnt a dramatic bitchy exit, its just time to go." - Big Ray (queen of the dramatic bitchy exit)

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.088 seconds with 43 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com