Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: JB3 and Creative's repair of  (Read 2852 times)

Offline rockinws

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Regular
  • "here's to feeling good all the time"
JB3 and Creative's repair of
« on: August 11, 2004, 05:23:30 PM »
I put my JB3 for sale in the "Yard Sale" section of this site. They cant/wont repair the broken LCD issue because the unit is out of warranty !?! recommended that I buy the newer model instead. The CR is spoke to mentioned possibility of a repair, but just got an e-mail saying "no repair as out of warranty timeframe". Seems like they are hanging us out to dry. This unit is barely 15 months old!!!

Here is my sale post :

I bought if off e-bay in May and worked perfectly until last weekend, when the LCD went dead for no apparent reason. At start up, the backlight flashes for a quick moment, then nothing. The unit itself works perfectly, it plays, it is recognized both input and output by my computer, etc etc, just no LCD display. Creative states that anything out of the warranty period is “not to be repaired” unquote!!!! Perhaps as they no longer make this model ? This is perfect for one who feels confident in repairing the unit themselves, or perhaps just wants the portable hard drive.

I just ordered a new one as replacement. I will take the best offer for the following package :

JB3, 20G HD
AC Adaptor
Installation disc, 2 connecting cords (USB, ieee 1394)
The box the unit came in
Cassette adaptor for the car
Two internal batteries
Sturdy, round carrying case

Buyer pays shipping
contact me at ->  dansisler@excite.com

- Dan Sisler

hexyjones

Re: JB3 and Creative's repair of
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2004, 06:31:33 PM »
Why not keep the broken one for backup parts?...there seems to be quite a DIY community among users...

or why not by another broken one of ebay and swap LCDs..? I've heard of more than one person doing that sucessfully...

Oh well...they are cheap enough...who cares...!

jpschust

« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2004, 08:40:52 AM »
I put my JB3 for sale in the "Yard Sale" section of this site. They cant/wont repair the broken LCD issue because the unit is out of warranty !?! recommended that I buy the newer model instead. The CR is spoke to mentioned possibility of a repair, but just got an e-mail saying "no repair as out of warranty timeframe". Seems like they are hanging us out to dry. This unit is barely 15 months old!!!

Here is my sale post :

I bought if off e-bay in May and worked perfectly until last weekend, when the LCD went dead for no apparent reason. At start up, the backlight flashes for a quick moment, then nothing. The unit itself works perfectly, it plays, it is recognized both input and output by my computer, etc etc, just no LCD display. Creative states that anything out of the warranty period is “not to be repaired” unquote!!!! Perhaps as they no longer make this model ? This is perfect for one who feels confident in repairing the unit themselves, or perhaps just wants the portable hard drive.

I just ordered a new one as replacement. I will take the best offer for the following package :

JB3, 20G HD
AC Adaptor
Installation disc, 2 connecting cords (USB, ieee 1394)
The box the unit came in
Cassette adaptor for the car
Two internal batteries
Sturdy, round carrying case

Buyer pays shipping
contact me at ->  dansisler@excite.com

- Dan Sisler

Dude, I would argue up and down.  I'd get on the phone and go as far up the foodchain as you can get.  I'm sorry, creative's warranties on these units is unacceptable.

Offline The Kilted Taper

• Needs to get out more...
  • Real men wear kilts.
« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2004, 05:07:33 PM »
Does Creative have plans to introduce something that can do what the jb3 does for us tapers? It would totally suck if the gave up on the recording features.
"The guy who's been dissed, dismissed and demoted so often that he should have officially changed his first name to "Backup." "

Offline SparkE!

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2004, 03:01:58 PM »
I bought this unit from Dan and the problem turned out to be a damaged display module.  The display showed no physical signs of damage, so I suspect that the damage was actually confined to the chip-on-glass LCD driver.  I suspect that the damage resulted from overvoltage at the 5V DC input to the NJB3.  If you use a Radio Shack AC/DC (wall glump) supply, those do not regulate the voltage well.  They are essentially a step-down transformer that feeds a full wave rectifier whose output is terminated in a capacitor.  The average DC voltage may well be 5 V, but the peaks go to 6 or 7 V, which is too much for the LCD driver.  Their car adapters work better since they are not rectifying an AC signal, but they still let voltage spikes through.  I would not recommend using anything but a power adapter that is supplied by Creative.  Another possibility is that the display was damaged from static discharge.  The flex circuit is very close to the top edge of the display and it would be possible to zap the display with static electricity that results from getting out of a car and reaching back in to pick up the recorder without touching the body of the car first.

Regardless, the unit is working again thanks to a display I bought from Gary Swandells in the UK.  He has an eBay shop for NJB3 and other jukebox models.  He normally does not have a display (he calls them "screens" - silly Brits) listed on eBay, but he'll list one for you if you ask him to.  I think the display with shipping was about $16.50.  His prices are in British pounds, so the US price will vary depending on the current exchange rate.  I had the display exactly one week after ordering it.
How'm I supposed to read your lips when you're talkin' out your ass? - Lern Tilton

Ignorance in audio is exceeded only by our collective willingness to embrace and foster it. -  Srajan Ebaen

Offline EA

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #5 on: October 09, 2004, 09:40:27 PM »
Hmmm, seems that you may want to stick around here as our in house JB3 tech support  ;)
T+ to ya

I bought this unit from Dan and the problem turned out to be a damaged display module.  The display showed no physical signs of damage, so I suspect that the damage was actually confined to the chip-on-glass LCD driver.  I suspect that the damage resulted from overvoltage at the 5V DC input to the NJB3.  If you use a Radio Shack AC/DC (wall glump) supply, those do not regulate the voltage well.  They are essentially a step-down transformer that feeds a full wave rectifier whose output is terminated in a capacitor.  The average DC voltage may well be 5 V, but the peaks go to 6 or 7 V, which is too much for the LCD driver.  Their car adapters work better since they are not rectifying an AC signal, but they still let voltage spikes through.  I would not recommend using anything but a power adapter that is supplied by Creative.  Another possibility is that the display was damaged from static discharge.  The flex circuit is very close to the top edge of the display and it would be possible to zap the display with static electricity that results from getting out of a car and reaching back in to pick up the recorder without touching the body of the car first.

Regardless, the unit is working again thanks to a display I bought from Gary Swandells in the UK.  He has an eBay shop for NJB3 and other jukebox models.  He normally does not have a display (he calls them "screens" - silly Brits) listed on eBay, but he'll list one for you if you ask him to.  I think the display with shipping was about $16.50.  His prices are in British pounds, so the US price will vary depending on the current exchange rate.  I had the display exactly one week after ordering it.
Why is there no boxing in the special olympics?

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.254 seconds with 30 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com