Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: What is the deal with this wave form?  (Read 2373 times)

Offline hoyt

• Trade Count: (5)
  • Taperssection Member
    • http://www.the-hoyts.com
What is the deal with this wave form?
« on: April 22, 2006, 12:30:26 PM »
It sounds like the left channel (on the top), goes in and out, then in and out.  It's just a basic mboh 603/ka200n > 722 recording, still at 24 bit too.

http://download.yousendit.com/7CCB0FA725619099

Thanks for taking a look (and listen)!

--hoyt

EDIT: This went into the wrong forum, oops :)

dpa4028/4023/4011er > sx-m2d2/ sx-r4+

Offline bluegrass_brad

• Trade Count: (16)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • Old and in the way.
Re: What is the deal with this wave form?
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2006, 12:38:24 PM »
That's phase shift.  Was it windy or were you stealthing?
CK1x, CK2x, CK3x > Hub Industry Cables > Naiant PFA or MK46 > 460B
CK1, CK8, CK63 > 460b

"That was back in a time when society was not quite ready for this music. Anyone remember those days? That's when punk rock was dangerous, right?" - Mike Ness

Offline hoyt

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2006, 12:40:57 PM »
That's phase shift.  Was it windy or were you stealthing?

Nope, indoors at a small acoustic cafe running DINa at about 6 feet.  Would someone stepping infront of one channel cause that?  Thanks!

--hoyt

Offline bluegrass_brad

• Old and in the way.
« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2006, 12:51:08 PM »
Im not sure about that.  Although it looks to me as if both channels have it. Was there a ventilation system or a ceiling fan?
edited to add:
Does the whole wave form look like this or just this section of it?
« Last Edit: April 22, 2006, 12:53:12 PM by bluegrass_brad »
CK1, CK8, CK63 > 460b

"That was back in a time when society was not quite ready for this music. Anyone remember those days? That's when punk rock was dangerous, right?" - Mike Ness

Offline cleantone

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2006, 01:02:02 PM »
Did you use shockmounts? It is sort of like what wind will do but very abrupt. If there is wind moving your diaphram to extremes you will lose the high end detail. That is happening here. But it is so abrupt it might have been bumped or something for that half second. Was there more instances or just this? There is obviously a jump in amplitude and it is all low end. Someone stepping in front of your left mic would cut the high end but not bump all that low end at the same time.
ISO: your recordings of The Slip, Surprise Me Mr. Davis and The Barr Brothers. pm me please.

Offline hoyt

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #5 on: April 22, 2006, 01:15:36 PM »
Im not sure about that.  Although it looks to me as if both channels have it. Was there a ventilation system or a ceiling fan?
edited to add:
Does the whole wave form look like this or just this section of it?

I'm pretty sure it's just this section, but I haven't looked over the whole show at this level yet.  I just heard it when playing back today and it caught my attention.  I don't think there was a fan above my mics, but I don't remember specifically checking. 

Did you use shockmounts? It is sort of like what wind will do but very abrupt. If there is wind moving your diaphram to extremes you will lose the high end detail. That is happening here. But it is so abrupt it might have been bumped or something for that half second. Was there more instances or just this? There is obviously a jump in amplitude and it is all low end. Someone stepping in front of your left mic would cut the high end but not bump all that low end at the same time.

Yup, I had shockmounts.  It's possile the stand got bumped, but wouldn't that effect both channels pretty equally?

Thanks!

--hoyt

EDIT:  Oops, I was thinking of the wrong show.  Yes, I was under ventilation at this show.  I had my mics suspended over a balcony actually.  For this one the mics were AB, so I would think that both channels would reflect any phase shifting caused by wind.
« Last Edit: April 22, 2006, 01:21:06 PM by hoyt »

Offline bluegrass_brad

• Old and in the way.
« Reply #6 on: April 22, 2006, 01:27:41 PM »

EDIT:  Oops, I was thinking of the wrong show.  Yes, I was under ventilation at this show.  I had my mics suspended over a balcony actually.  For this one the mics were AB, so I would think that both channels would reflect any phase shifting caused by wind.

They do.  Look closer, they are both suffering from phase shift.  The left just has a more noticible spot in that section.
CK1, CK8, CK63 > 460b

Offline hoyt

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #7 on: April 22, 2006, 11:09:14 PM »
They do.  Look closer, they are both suffering from phase shift.  The left just has a more noticible spot in that section.

Ok, I can see that if I look at where the top channel crosses the axis, I can see similar movement in the other channel.  I won't worry too much about it then, the sound of such a sudden drop out in the one channel freaked me out a bit.  :)  Thanks!  +t's to you guys!

--hoyt

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.051 seconds with 36 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com