Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: taping for idiots. meaning me.  (Read 9201 times)

Offline Tim

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Needs to get out more...
Re:taping for idiots. meaning me.
« Reply #30 on: January 10, 2004, 07:54:23 AM »
tim just likes to see how wasted he can get and stilll pull a tape, but he's been doing this for years so don't listen to him ;)

best advice... ever
I’ve had a few weird experiences and a few close brushes with total weirdness of one sort or another, but nothing that’s really freaked me out or made me feel too awful about it. - Jerry Garcia

Offline F.O.Bean

• Team Schoeps Tapir that
  • Trade Count: (126)
  • Taperus Maximus
    • MediaFire Recordings
« Reply #31 on: January 10, 2004, 10:52:38 AM »
tim just likes to see how wasted he can get and stilll pull a tape, but he's been doing this for years so don't listen to him ;)

tim and i need to start taping together!!! :drunk: :smoking:
Schoeps MK 4V & MK 41V ->
Schoeps 250|0 KCY's (x2) ->
Naiant +60v|Low Noise PFA's (x2) ->
DarkTrain Right Angle Stubby XLR's (x3) ->
Sound Devices MixPre-6 & MixPre-3

http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/diskobean
http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/Bean420
http://bt.etree.org/mytorrents.php
http://www.mediafire.com/folder/j9eu80jpuaubz/Recordings

Offline Chuck

• Trade Count: (42)
  • time between the notes...
    • My recordings on the LMA
« Reply #32 on: January 10, 2004, 11:06:41 AM »
Then in all honesty, taping might not be for you - I'd classify taping as independent labor. No talking, no singing, not much dancing or socializing in general. Gotta get there early, leave late, carry all your shit around, etc. If you're recording bands that aren't taper-friendly, then no MOVING. It's no picnic...but to those of us that do it, the rewards are more than worth it.

This is the best advice yet for you axelrose.
For the most part we all really dig the details of this stuff. The part that you would consider hard work. Like anything else, you have to put in the time to get it right. Do you think Micheal Jackson was good at child molesting in the beginning? No, he had to practice and get all the details down right. (Probably a bad example, because he probably knew what he was doing right from the start.) But you get the point.
Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one.

Microphones: AKG C 480 B comb-ULS/ CK 61/ CK 63, Sennheiser MKE 2 elements,  Audix M1290-o, Micro capsule active cables w/ Naiant PFA's, Naiant MSH-1O, Naiant AKG Active cables, Church CA-11 (cardioid), (1) Nady SCM-1000 (mod)
Pre-amps: Naiant littlebox, Naiant littlekit v2.0, BM2p+ Edirol UA-5, Church STC-9000
Recorders: Sound Devices MixPre-6, iRiver iHP-120 (Rockboxed & RTC mod)

Recordings on the LMA: http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/ChuckM
Recording website & blog: http://www.timebetweenthenotes.com

Offline nickgregory

• Admitted Jeter Homer
  • Trade Count: (2)
    • Hurricanes Insider
« Reply #33 on: January 10, 2004, 11:11:50 AM »

best advice... ever

I have to agree...you have to be a professional to pull this off...amateurs need not apply  ;D

Offline pfife

• Emperor of Ticketucky
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • I love/hate tickets.
« Reply #34 on: January 10, 2004, 12:42:12 PM »
Then in all honesty, taping might not be for you - I'd classify taping as independent labor. No talking, no singing, not much dancing or socializing in general. Gotta get there early, leave late, carry all your shit around, etc. If you're recording bands that aren't taper-friendly, then no MOVING. It's no picnic...but to those of us that do it, the rewards are more than worth it.

Do you think Micheal Jackson was good at child molesting in the beginning? No, he had to practice and get all the details down right.

hahahahahahahahahaah  :lol: :realhappy:
Tickets are dead to me.  Except the ones I have, don't have, and lost.  Not to mention the ones you have, don't have, and lost.   And the ones that other dude has, doesn't have, and lost.  Let me know if you need some tickets, I'm happy to oblige. 

Tickets >>>>>>>> Oxygen

Offline pfife

• Emperor of Ticketucky
  • I love/hate tickets.
« Reply #35 on: January 10, 2004, 12:43:20 PM »
drinking and stealthing don't mix...

that is, unless you want to record yourself pissing, or you want to stand there needing to piss for a while.

Tickets are dead to me.  Except the ones I have, don't have, and lost.  Not to mention the ones you have, don't have, and lost.   And the ones that other dude has, doesn't have, and lost.  Let me know if you need some tickets, I'm happy to oblige. 

Tickets >>>>>>>> Oxygen

BobW

« Reply #36 on: January 10, 2004, 05:10:54 PM »
!/2 the fun of this hobby is trying stuff and then figuring out what buggers- up the recordings,
Start easy, work your way in deeper as you like.

My take ?
Get :
1)  nomad JB3
2) an inexpensive combo Pre-amp/Analogue to Digital converter.- like a Graham-Patten DMIC-20
3) whatever Mics suit your style and budget

Try stuff out a while and work on technique. Mediocre mics can make good recordings, if you know how to work them well.
Then buy more equipment as you get drawn deeper and deeper into the hobby. Soon you will quit your dayjob and buy a VW camper to follow festivals all around the countryside.

-Bob
P.S.- Be sure to trade recordings with those across the pond !

Offline George

• May the schwartz be with you!
  • Trade Count: (7)
  • Unofficial TS thread killer
« Reply #37 on: January 10, 2004, 11:03:07 PM »
Like everyone else has said, you really gotta be into the idea of keeping still and quiet will taping, otherwise you'll be your worst enemy for getting a decent tape.  Just go research up on all the aspects of taping before spending any cash.  Best of luck.
SP-CMC-4s (C, H, SC terminated to mini xlr)>Tinybox>Sony M10/Tascam DR-2d
Countryman B3 (Omni, mini xlr)>Tinybox>Sony M10/Tascam DR-2d
Audix 1200 series cable from Chris Church, pair of Audix M1280 card capsules

Listening: Oppo 980HD>Yamaha RXV667>Rega R1's + Rega RS VOX + Rega R5S's

"Every time I see a group of teenagers gathered around an iphone laughing at some youtube video, I walk up to them, slap the iphone out of their hand, get right up to them nose to nose, and scream at the top of my lungs:

TAKE A LOOK

IT'S IN A BOOK

READING FUCKING RAINBOW."

Offline twatts (pants are so over-rated...)

• <://PHiSH//><
  • Trade Count: (16)
  • Lego made a Mini-Fig of me!
« Reply #38 on: January 11, 2004, 02:42:34 AM »
I went to GuitarCenter today here in Raleigh to get some XLR>RCA cables...

Saw that they sold a package from Sony that included a Sony Minidisc recorder, a Sony Microphone, and a few other things that you need.  I didn't ask how much it was, but basically it is a "beginner's rig in a box" - probably the cheapest you can find...

Terry

***Do you have PHISH, VIDA BLUE, JAZZ MANDOLIN PROJECT or any other Phish related DATs/Tapes/MDs that need to be transferred???  I can do them for you!!!***

I will return your DATs/Tapes/MDs.  I'll also provide Master FLAC files via DropBox.  PM me for details.

Sony PCM R500 > SPDIF > Tascam HD-P2
Nakamichi DR-3 > (Oade Advanced Concert Mod) Tascam HD-P2
Sony MDS-JE510 > Hosa ODL-276 > Tascam HD-P2

Offline Jimna

• Zappa for President
  • Trade Count: (3)
  • Audio DeutchKraft & Busman Audio
    • F.M.Record Company
« Reply #39 on: January 15, 2004, 04:01:59 PM »
ive been taping for about 3 yrs now and i found when the experimenting becomes a full addiction you will be bummed out that you purchased lesser equipment in the end.  check out micsupply.com too
Co-Founder of F.M.Recording 
SD: Busman Audio BSC1-K1/K2/K3/K4 > Grace Lunatec V3 > Busman Hybrid R4
LD: ADK A-51TL MP > Busman Hybrid R4
+ 48 Channel Multi-track rig

Canon 5D Mark II, Canon 2x Extender Mark III, Canon 15mm f2.8, Canon 85mm f/1.8 USM, Canon 100mm Macro f2.8, Canon 16-35mm L f2.8, Canon 24-70mm L f/2.8, Canon 70-200mm L f2.8 IS, Canon ST-E2, Canon 580ex II (x2), Canon 430ex II, PocketWizard PLUS II(x4), Radiopopper PX System

http://jmimna.com/

Information is not knowledge
Knowledge is not wisdom
Wisdom is not truth
Truth is not beauty
Beauty is not love
Love is not music
Music is THE BEST
-FZ

ClevelandMike

« Reply #40 on: January 17, 2004, 01:00:05 AM »
Are you thinking of taping in bars, or larger concerts?
If concerts... you should start by patching in to different rigs.

my guess is the taping scene in ireland isn't all that happening.

busknuckle

« Reply #41 on: January 17, 2004, 05:21:58 AM »
mics - these are (arguably) the most important part of the setup. They are the "ears" that hear the music. spend the most here.

pre-amp - this does 2 things: provides power for the mics, takes the signal that the mics are sending out, and boosts it to line level. line level is the best for recording

a/d (or analog/digital converter) - this is best done externally (apart from your recording device) it takes the analog signal and converts it to a digital signal

recording device (DAT/MD/PDA/CD burner/etc) this is where all your music is being stored. It's advisable to go with a recorder that has the following:

no compression of the incoming signal (md compresses)

Digital output capability (Sony portable DAT decks have this but you must use a special cable) most md decks (portable) do NOT have this. If you go the md route AND you desire to have pure digital transfers to cdr (preferable way to do it) you will need a home MD deck with digital output capabilities (coax/optical/toslink/all)

Once you have your recording, you probably want to put it to cdr. This should be done digitally and can be done a couple of ways:

- Get a standalone cd burner (phillips, otari, hhb) that has digital input which matches the output on your recording device
- Get a soundcard with digital input capability that matches the format used by your digital output machine.

That's enough for now....let's see how long you want to do this hobby now!

Offline Mobius

• Taperssection Regular
  • Degenerate Extraudinaire
« Reply #42 on: January 19, 2004, 10:05:29 PM »
Drunken/Drugged blur and taping usually don't mix.  Sad as it may sound you usually* have to be at least somewhat sober to get a decent recording of a show.

* Now having said that I'm sure someone's going to chime in with an account of how they made the best tape ever and were so drunk/ripped they don't even remember being there. :)

yup :D

I sometimes it works out you do a somewhat less than professional recording, but when you got a simple setup like myself, and youre stealthing, it takes the edge off and you enjoy it more :D

..though a little note, on one of my better sounding recordings you can hear me drop beer bottles into a pile at my feet in between songs (i had a friend bringing me a steady flow)

its the ONLY way to tape :D
« Last Edit: January 19, 2004, 10:09:44 PM by Mobius »

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.101 seconds with 38 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com