Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Retro Recorder  (Read 4326 times)

Offline Teen Wolf Blitzer

• It's all ballbearings these days.
  • Trade Count: (6)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • I am Rattus Norvegicus.
    • Support Festival Radio
Retro Recorder
« on: June 23, 2009, 01:35:58 AM »
For your iphone.   :P  Might have already been mentioned here.

http://www.retrorecorder.com/

Put some fun back into audio recording with Retro Recorder by McDSP. The highly stylized yet simple interface makes recording easy on any iPhone. Patent pending Audio Level eXtension (ALX) technology improves recording quality beyond the capability of hand held recorders costing many times more. Even without an external microphone, Retro Recorder can capture detail other recorders cannot - up to 32 times more signal level.
Recorded files can be exported individually or in batches. Exported files may then be downloaded to a PC or Mac, using a Wi-Fi network.

Supports iPhone and second generation iPod Touch. An external microphone is required to use Retro Recorder on the second generation iPod Touch.

Feature highlights:

Up to 30 dB (32 x) more signal level with ALX technology
Audition ALX processing instantly during playback, the original recording is preserved
Export original recordings or ALX enhanced versions in WAV format
Wi-Fi download page allows downloading to any Mac or PC with most web browsers
Batch rename, delete, and export makes organizing a snap
User interface rotates 180 degrees for better iPhone microphone orientation when recording
External microphone support
Record short ideas or lengthy meetings for hours, even in sleep mode
Pause, fast forward, or rewind signals during playback
Filter list of recordings by keyword to find your recording fast
Recorder page allows quick review of last clip recorded, great for level checks
Supports mono signals only, up to 22,050 Hz sample rate
Developed and supported by a prof

Offline SClassical

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Taperssection Member
Re: Retro Recorder
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2009, 06:06:23 AM »
The sample they put in the website is REALLY bad. The noise (don't know if that is room noise or traffic or recorder noise) is as loud as the talking. They should have at least uploaded a better recording.
Mics: DPA3552 kit/DPA3521 kit/DPA SMK4081 kit/DPA SMK4060 kit/Schoeps 2X MK21, 2X MK22 and 2X MK4v and 2X Schoeps CCM2S
Mixers/preamps: Sonosax SX-M32/Sonosax SX-M2 LS/Grace Design V3/DPA MMA6000/Millennia HV-32P
Recorders: SD722/PCM-D50/MT2
Playback: Grace m903 - Sennheiser HD650 / Bowers & Wilkins Nautilus 805s

Offline sunjan

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taping since 1988, 28 years of fine recordings...
    • Just a handful of stuff I put on etree
« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2009, 10:06:41 AM »
I think I stumbled on this, but didn't bother posting when I read the specs:
Supports mono signals only, up to 22,050 Hz sample rate

At least Audiofile FiRe does 16/44 on iPhone, too bad Apple crippled the bloody thing:
http://taperssection.com/index.php/topic,118890.0.html

To name just an example, you can't transfer a recorded WAV over USB, because the protocol is proprietary!
http://www.audiofile-engineering.com/support/forums/read.php?10,3290
Mics: A-51s LE, CK 930, Line Audo CM3, AT853Rx (hc,c,sc),  ECM 121, ECM 909A
Pres: Tinybox, CA-9100, UA5 wmod
Recorders: M10, H116 (CF mod), H340, NJB3
Gearbag: High Sierra Corkscrew
MD transfers: MZ-RH1. Tape transfers: Nak DR-1
Photo rig: Nikon D70, 18-70mm/3.5-4.5, SB-800

Offline Colin McDowell

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2009, 06:46:21 PM »
Howdy ,

my name is Colin McDowell. My company, McDSP, makes this highly stylized iPhone recorder app called Retro Recorder.

We're having a contest that ends August 31st 2009 whereby you could win up to $50 if we use a recording example from you demonstrating the ALX processing in Retro Recorder.   So if you folks did not like that recording we posted - here's your chance to show us up!

For your pro audio people, Retro Recorder has another update coming shortly that will add stereo recording, and sample rate support up to 44.1 kHz.  Some other nice features too.  This update will be free, as per the McDSP decade long tradition of doing so.

Finally, I've been asked if the Audio Level eXtension (ALX) feature on Retro Recorder was similar to the digital photo zoom in features in iPhone apps like Camera Genius and Camera Zoom-In.

In a word, YES !!!!

With ALX, Retro Recorder is the only iPhone recorder app that offers a distortion free audio zoom in (level maximization) capability. You can still export your original and/or ALX-processed recordings to your Mac (ok a PC too).

So ALX is like a volume control? Nope. A simple volume control could cause the audio to clip, creating so much distortion the recording would be useless. ALX uses patent pending techniques to turn up the quiet stuff and balance it out with the loud stuff.

So, in my completely biased opinion, Retro Recorder is perfect for field recordings, interviews, dictations, your kids first words, and even music.

You can find out more about Retro Recorder and the Audio Clip Contest at www.retrorecorder.com.

Colin McDowell

Offline DSatz

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (35)
« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2009, 10:08:44 PM »
> So ALX is like a volume control? Nope. A simple volume control could cause the audio to clip, creating so much distortion the recording would be useless. ALX uses patent pending techniques to turn up the quiet stuff and balance it out with the loud stuff.

That type of feature is undesirable for most music recording, since it distorts the dynamics of the original performance--whenever the band gets really loud, it ducks the levels, and it brings up the room noise relative to the average or peak levels of the music.

Agreed, though, it has its uses. So the important thing is, don't get so carried away with your patent pending technology that you forget to include an "off" switch for the ALX.

--best regards

music > microphones > a recorder of some sort

Offline philR

• Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #5 on: August 20, 2009, 08:29:16 AM »

Agreed, though, it has its uses. So the important thing is, don't get so carried away with your patent pending technology that you forget to include an "off" switch for the ALX.

it does have an "off" switch.  i picked up this app yesterday, haven't had time to play around with it yet. 
Neumann AK40 > LC3KA > KM100 > V2 > 744t

Offline sunjan

« Reply #6 on: August 21, 2009, 04:23:22 AM »
For your pro audio people, Retro Recorder has another update coming shortly that will add stereo recording, and sample rate support up to 44.1 kHz.

ALX uses patent pending techniques to turn up the quiet stuff and balance it out with the loud stuff.

Welcome and T+ for joining TS.com,

Agree with Dsatz. If you're preaching to pro audio people, we rather not "turn up the quiet stuff".
It would also be nice with more documentation on the product site. Have you tested and confirmed compatibility with the external dock connectors on the market? Kinda like this overview:
http://blog.faberacoustical.com/2009/iphone/dock-connector-audio-io/

Offline Colin McDowell

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #7 on: August 21, 2009, 04:14:29 PM »
Howdy all again,

if you are familiar with the McDSP ML4000 plug-in for Pro Tools, then you already have an idea of what ALX processing is like.

As others have already pointed out here, you can turn ALX processing on or off.  Retro Recorder keeps the original files as well as ALX processed ones when you 'serve' them to your Mac or PC.

Other than the info on the FAQ and main page, what else would you like to see on retrorecorder.com? 

We do have an Alesis ProTrack dock here and have used it with much success.  Retro Recorder is written within the specs provided by Apple, and I would not anticipate problems with the other docks either.

Finally, if "turning up quiet stuff" is not a useful feature to you - then what would you like in an iPhone recorder app?  Bring it on!  We're a bunch of dsp nerds over here!

Colin
8/21/2009

PS-> A 'more cow bell' feature is already slated for another product...!

Offline Lil Kim Jong-Il

• Trade Count: (6)
  • large Marge sent me
« Reply #8 on: August 23, 2009, 02:20:11 PM »
ALX uses patent pending techniques to turn up the quiet stuff and balance it out with the loud stuff.

Isn't this exactly what a dynamic compressor does or am I missing something?
The first rule of amateur neurosurgery club is .... I forget.

Offline sunjan

« Reply #9 on: August 24, 2009, 04:06:59 AM »
Other than the info on the FAQ and main page, what else would you like to see on retrorecorder.com? 

We do have an Alesis ProTrack dock here and have used it with much success.  Retro Recorder is written within the specs provided by Apple, and I would not anticipate problems with the other docks either.

Finally, if "turning up quiet stuff" is not a useful feature to you - then what would you like in an iPhone recorder app?  Bring it on!  We're a bunch of dsp nerds over here!

T+ for asking, we really appreciate when developers find their way here  ;D
Concerning the UI, take a good look at the Rockbox recording screen. The interface is almost as good as it gets, within the limits of a small handheld unit. Add in a live histogram and stereo L/R imaging plot (like that REP build)...

DSP wise, I guess there's not more to do than trying to preserve the integrity of the line-in signal to get nice clean 16/44.1 PCM files.

I haven't tried Audiofile FiRe, but I'm sure that you keep track of your competitors and "get inspired" by their work.  ;)

A user forum on your web site would be the ideal place to source for feature requests, get feedback, and reports on third party accessory functionality. Again, check out Audiofile.  ;)

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.09 seconds with 39 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com