Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Transfers in the Hotey Pt.2 - Port Protocol  (Read 5744 times)

Offline Just Taper Mark from NC

• when the bass kicks..all I need is a mic and a stage and mix.
  • Trade Count: (2)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • Dodgertown 90090
Transfers in the Hotey Pt.2 - Port Protocol
« on: November 08, 2009, 12:44:11 PM »
did a quick search but didn't see anything but I'm sure I missed something  :P

anyhow,I'm pretty stupid when it comes to laptops(computers in general)but in shopping
around it doesn't appear that anybody makes them with a firewire port built in so I was wondering how people are hooking up their 7xx series recorders and getting torrents going back at the hotels  ??? seems like recording to a cf card would be the simple solution.is there I firewire>usb cable I can get for my filter or what? TIA!
« Last Edit: November 23, 2009, 09:39:22 PM by Just Taper Mark from NC »
Positive vibration man.That's what makes it work.That's reggae music.You can't look away because it is real.You listen to what I sing because I mean what I sing,there's no secret,no big deal.,Just honesty,that's all."-Hon. Robert Nesta Marley 1977

Offline Əkoostikal

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection Member
  • One of these days....
Re: connecting a 722 to a laptop(transfers in the hotey)
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2009, 01:17:25 PM »
did a quick search but didn't see anything but I'm sure I missed something  :P

anyhow,I'm pretty stupid when it comes to laptops(computers in general)but in shopping
around it doesn't appear that anybody makes them with a firewire port built in so I was wondering how people are hooking up their 7xx series recorders and getting torrents going back at the hotels  ??? seems like recording to a cf card would be the simple solution.is there I firewire>usb cable I can get for my filter or what? TIA!

I know the macbook from a couple years ago has firewire as well as all the new macbook pro models..... I also believe Sony Viao laptops have firewire on them. I think you will only find it on some of the more "high end" lappy's......

I don;t think you can get a Firewire > USB cable since they don't work the same way. I have seen PCI firewire cards though. So you could get a laptop with a PCI slot and just use one of those cards. I am pretty sure there was a thread a few week back discussing this same problem of going Firewire > USB. Not sure if it was a 7xx related problem though...... I do know that Z-Man and some others have gone to using the CF card and then just transferring that way. Z-Man told me that it was faster than using the 722's firewire port, and then he also doesn't have to get the 722 out, connect cable.... ect.....
BONGWATER via Etree:

"Phil Keeps on growing, never even slowing, never really knowing all of the minds he's really blowing!!!!!"

Offline fleish

• Trade Count: (4)
  • I've been safariing since before you were born
« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2009, 01:20:42 PM »
http://tinyurl.com/ly77k5

Bottom line is you either need a FW port or go the CF route. How you get that depends on what interfaces you have available on your laptop. If it's recent, I'd guess an express card would be the way. If you're in the market for a new laptop & can't find one in your price range that comes with FW (they do exist) then just keep in mind you will need to add something on later.
Mics: AT853, MC930, AK40/AK50 > LC3 > KM100, ADK TL51
Cables: Audio Magic XStream silver, Kind Kables, Zaolla M1.5
Decks: D8, Busman Hybrid R4

My LMA tapes: http://archive.org/search.php?query=taper%3A%22Todd+Fleisher%22

My LMA transfers: http://archive.org/search.php?query=-taper%3A%28Todd%20Fleisher%29%20AND%20transferer%3A%28Todd%20Fleisher%29

My LMA uploads: http://archive.org/search.php?query=collection%3Aetree%20AND%20uploader%3A%28todd%40fleish.org%29

Awesome. David said you were like The Wolf in Pulp Fiction. Shows up just in time with tons of gear, does a pro job, and disappears into the night! :-)

• Dodgertown 90090
« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2009, 02:06:09 PM »
I should have known somebody was going to do the google it for you link  :flipa:  :P
seriously thanks for the info though,both of you gave me just what I was looking
for info wise.the 2nd part was answered before I even asked it.  ;D

yes I am looking to purchase a new one,looked at a viao but didn't notice a firewire
port on it,hmmm.I'm also not looking to drop $1k or more on something like that where
it's main purpose is for traveling and not fulltime use.maybe i'll go the cf route a while
and play it out from there.thanks again!
Positive vibration man.That's what makes it work.That's reggae music.You can't look away because it is real.You listen to what I sing because I mean what I sing,there's no secret,no big deal.,Just honesty,that's all."-Hon. Robert Nesta Marley 1977

Offline ghellquist

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #4 on: November 10, 2009, 01:25:44 AM »
The port is not always called firewire -- I believe that was a trade marked name. The connection might be called iLink on the Vaio. If it is labled S400 it definitely is firewire. Most often laptops has the smaller 4 pin connector which is perfect to connect the 722, you simply need the right cable. Otherwise, if the lappie has some expansion slot, you should be able to get a firewire adapter without paying very much, PCMCIA or PC express or whatever type your laptop accepts. Not having that, the route is to go by CF Card. The 722 has a specific command to "copy only new files to the CF Card" which can be handy.

// Gunnar

Offline fleish

« Reply #5 on: November 10, 2009, 01:57:30 AM »
Funny, I'd never heard it called anything other than firewire or IEEE 1394. Regardless of what it may be called, it's the same interface based off the same spec.

More reading for the curious: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IEEE_1394_interface

My LMA transfers: http://archive.org/search.php?query=-taper%3A%28Todd%20Fleisher%29%20AND%20transferer%3A%28Todd%20Fleisher%29

My LMA uploads: http://archive.org/search.php?query=collection%3Aetree%20AND%20uploader%3A%28todd%40fleish.org%29

Awesome. David said you were like The Wolf in Pulp Fiction. Shows up just in time with tons of gear, does a pro job, and disappears into the night! :-)

• Dodgertown 90090
« Reply #6 on: November 10, 2009, 08:58:06 PM »
went back to office depot and bestbuy.I was beginning to think the bestbuy guys were a bunch of idiots,they kept showing my lappys with "firewire" and I was like "uh,no that's not it" so we went round on that a bit  :P I finally took the guy over to cables to show him I what I was talking about.turns out laptops come with the new 4 pin firewire and not the 6 pin so I was the idiot there.score 1 for bestbuy employee(rare occasion)

then I saw this beast here and got to thinking why I could use this?
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp;jsessionid=0353DA61E5054D4766736C82187A9178.bbolsp-app05-10?_dyncharset=ISO-8859-1&_dynSessConf=7473183236648905875&id=pcat17071&type=page&st=dx-c112231&sc=Global&cp=1&nrp=15&sp=&qp=&list=n&iht=y&usc=All+Categories&ks=960

anybody got input on this?

Offline page

• Trade Count: (25)
  • #TeamRetired
« Reply #7 on: November 10, 2009, 09:43:43 PM »
then I saw this beast here and got to thinking why I could use this?
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp;jsessionid=0353DA61E5054D4766736C82187A9178.bbolsp-app05-10?_dyncharset=ISO-8859-1&_dynSessConf=7473183236648905875&id=pcat17071&type=page&st=dx-c112231&sc=Global&cp=1&nrp=15&sp=&qp=&list=n&iht=y&usc=All+Categories&ks=960

anybody got input on this?

standard 6pin>4pin cable. If your IEEE1394 port is the mini 4pin variety, then thats what you need as the SD boxes are all normal 6pin. I've got a similar one for USB.
"This is a common practice we have on the bus; debating facts that we could easily find through printed material. It's like, how far is it today? I think it's four hours, and someone else comes in at 11 hours, and well, then we'll... just... talk about it..." - Jeb Puryear

"Nostalgia ain't what it used to be." - Jim Williams

• Dodgertown 90090
« Reply #8 on: November 10, 2009, 09:50:40 PM »
sweet,thanks page! I didn't think there would be any issues using a 6pin>4pin cable coming out of the filter to the computer,looks like I got one picked out then.  ;D

Offline ghellquist

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #9 on: November 11, 2009, 03:50:55 AM »
It is actually a good idea to go through the 4 pin connector every time it is possible. The two last pins are there for power and may carry quite a hefty amount of juice and if you push the connector in upside down this might fry one end of the equipment. The 6 pin connector is not totally "dumb-proof" as it can be forced in upside down far enough to make electrical contact if you work hard enough at it..

// Gunnar

• Dodgertown 90090
« Reply #10 on: November 11, 2009, 03:40:33 PM »
this whole thread could have been avoided if only I would have opened my OWNERS MANUAL to PAGE 5 the 2nd paragraph clearly states for appropriate connection use either a 6pin>4pin or 6pin>6pin cable  ::)  ;D

thanks still for all the input,always makes me feel better heading in to big purchases
to heed the advice of those who have taken the walk before me.

Offline fleish

« Reply #11 on: November 11, 2009, 05:12:30 PM »
this whole thread could have been avoided if only I would have opened my OWNERS MANUAL to PAGE 5 the 2nd paragraph clearly states for appropriate connection use either a 6pin>4pin or 6pin>6pin cable  ::)  ;D

thanks still for all the input,always makes me feel better heading in to big purchases
to heed the advice of those who have taken the walk before me.

:lol: so what you're saying is instead of LMGTFY I should have directed you to RTFM >:D

Seriously though, glad you've got it sorted out.

ghellquist: While I agree it's good advice to beware of shorting something out by accident like that, I'm not sure how one would insert a 6-pin FW400 cable backwards - it's rounded on one end & square on the other:

Offline ghellquist

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #12 on: November 12, 2009, 01:59:39 AM »
ghellquist: While I agree it's good advice to beware of shorting something out by accident like that, I'm not sure how one would insert a 6-pin FW400 cable backwards - it's rounded on one end & square on the other:
Agreed. But if you look around there are a lot of reports on firewire equipment getting burnt. Better safe than sorry is my suggestion. Whenever I remember it I use 4 to 6 cable with a 6 to 4 converter in order to not transfer the power lines.

// Gunnar

Offline page

• Trade Count: (25)
  • #TeamRetired
« Reply #13 on: November 12, 2009, 09:57:37 AM »

1) It may be speed of insertion, or may be related to any sort of angle of insertion, don't know. Some TS folks have burned theirs.  :-X

2) As for getting it to go, you obviously need to consider turning in your "I'm an American" card. When reason and logic fail, try harder;)
"This is a common practice we have on the bus; debating facts that we could easily find through printed material. It's like, how far is it today? I think it's four hours, and someone else comes in at 11 hours, and well, then we'll... just... talk about it..." - Jeb Puryear

"Nostalgia ain't what it used to be." - Jim Williams

Offline fleish

« Reply #14 on: November 12, 2009, 12:04:20 PM »

1) It may be speed of insertion, or may be related to any sort of angle of insertion, don't know. Some TS folks have burned theirs.  :-X

2) As for getting it to go, you obviously need to consider turning in your "I'm an American" card. When reason and logic fail, try harder;)

1) That's what she said

2) That's what she said

>:D

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.149 seconds with 43 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com