Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: SSD vs HDD - OS vs Storage  (Read 6166 times)

runonce

• Trade Count: (0)
SSD vs HDD - OS vs Storage
« on: March 23, 2010, 05:51:23 PM »
Looking at some of the 30GB models of SDD. It sounds like some of the early troubles with this tech have been resolved.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820227393

But - Big capacity HDD are still wildly cheap...

I like the idea of a smallish SSD, with big capacity HDD storage. You could easily have a multiboot OS with all the requisite programs. And room to spare.

What I notice is, lots of 2.5 models and very few 3.5s. I wonder if the trend will be toward the smaller form?
Can you use a 2.5 in desktop build? I see no need for a bigger form factor when 30GB can give you all the room you need for OSes.

I also see some PCI based SSD. That is also intriguing. Even 16GB would hold 2 OSes.

Want to examine low power solutions also - If I can get away from 400 watt power supplies, that would be great.

I need to consolidate my collection. So I will be buying some big drives. But in a new build with SSD for OS looks great.

Any thoughts?

runonce

Offline Shadow_7

• Taperssection Member
Re: SSD vs HDD - OS vs Storage
« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2010, 09:32:23 AM »
SSD has a few pros, but I wouldn't use it for an OS outside of some embedded system.  A lot of OS's have logging and virtual ram type abilities that would simply chew up the read/write life of an SSD.  If you need something with low power usage and low noise, it's a good choice.  Just know that it's not going to last if you use it for anything more than archival media, or read only boot drive (can't be done with some OS's).  And with HDD's being so cheap now.  Why spend $100 on 30GB, when you can get 1TB+ for the same cash?  For a laptop hardmounted to an offroad vehicle, perhaps a good choice.  For that editing machine for HD video and audio, not a good choice.

Offline kindms

• Trade Count: (6)
  • Needs to get out more...
    • The Breakfast
« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2010, 03:12:58 PM »
I picked up a ocz 60GB HDD 2 days ago at newegg for $160.00 + a $40.00 mail in rebate. I installed windows vista ultimate on it 32bit.

It is replacing the 1TB SATAII drive that was my main system drive.

This is now in my HTPC if you can really call it that. I have building and rebuilding the same conceptual computer for a few years now. It started out as a p4 in a few different flavors and then i finally dropped a dual core in it a few years ago. I just added the new SSD HDD and replaced a few fans with much quieter ones. I added some dampening materials as well.

I will say this about the SSD. it is CRAZY fast. I haven't seen something like this kind of performance boost in a really long time. I did all the case work, reinstalled windows (while watching the hockey game / between beers) bios updates, chipsets, drivers etc etc and it was done before the hockey game was over.

I did it to basically remove another point of noise under the hood (the pc sits in my audio / tv stand) and to play with some new toys. All of my audio etc is currently being off loaded to the NAS I am building from an old p4. I picked u 2 1TB drives and will throw the 1TB system drive in it for added storage etc.

Windows vista and windows 7 can properly format the SSD without the need to pre-format etc. Windows 7 has the built in tools to manage the disk cleanup. Windows vista requires a program which can be downloaded from ocz.
AKG c426, AKG414 XLS/ST, AKG ck61, ck22, >nBob colettes >PFA > V3, SD MixPre >  TCM-Mod Tascam HDP2, Sony M10
Little Bear tube Pre >Outlaw Audio 2200 Monoblocks > VR-2's

Offline Red Boink

• Trade Count: (27)
  • Taperssection Regular
« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2010, 12:58:01 AM »
They're fast at first, but with a an os that has lots of calls, it will clog up and slow down.  you can't defrag ssd.  At least that's my understanding, I'm not using any for that reason... much rather put in a raptor.

Offline Fatah Ruark (aka MIKE B)

• Trade Count: (11)
  • I dream in beige.
    • sloppy.art.ink
« Reply #5 on: March 26, 2010, 01:14:53 AM »
They're fast at first, but with a an os that has lots of calls, it will clog up and slow down.  you can't defrag ssd.  At least that's my understanding, I'm not using any for that reason... much rather put in a raptor.

You are correct. You can not defrag a SSD drive, but you can use TRIM. TRIM is available on Windows 7 and some versions of Linux. Here is a good explanation of how it works:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/TRIM_%28SSD_command%29

I'm still looking into adding a SSD drive to my system. It's looking much more promising at this time...but sometimes I like to wait a little longer to make sure they have all the bugs worked out, and the price comes down a bit. Prices seem to vary widely. I'm not sure what the difference is between a $150 drive and a $700 drive.
||| MICS:  Beyer CK930 | DPA 4022 | DPA 4080 | Nevaton MCE400 | Sennheiser Ambeo Headset |||
||| PREAMPS: DPA d:vice | Naiant Tinybox | Naiant IPA |||
||| DECKS: Sound Devices MixPre6 | iPod Touch 32GB |||
|||Concert History || LMA Recordings || Live YouTube |||

runonce

« Reply #6 on: April 01, 2010, 07:49:56 AM »

Offline dactylus

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (62)
  • Maplewood, MN
« Reply #7 on: October 12, 2010, 10:46:11 AM »

I'm considering adding a SSD to my system - have things changed dramatically in the past 6 months with the SSD's?

I'm considering this drive:

Kingston SSDNow V Series 128 GB SATA 3 GB/s 2.5- Inch Solid State Drive with Desktop Upgrade Kit Bundle SNV425-S2BD/128GB

http://www.amazon.com/Kingston-Desktop-Upgrade-SNV425-S2BD-128GB/dp/B00378KHVE/ref=wl_it_dp_o?ie=UTF8&coliid=I1A6BYBTRTBSE3&colid=3G4T29XAI8RGS

hot licks > microphones > recorder

...ball of confusion, that's what the world is today, hey hey...

Offline OFOTD

• Amorican
  • Trade Count: (7)
« Reply #8 on: October 12, 2010, 01:01:37 PM »
What OS are you running?

Offline dactylus

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (62)
  • Maplewood, MN
« Reply #9 on: October 12, 2010, 02:20:07 PM »

^
I will be running Win 7 on the system where I'm considering adding the SSD.

hot licks > microphones > recorder

...ball of confusion, that's what the world is today, hey hey...

Offline OFOTD

• Amorican
  • Trade Count: (7)
« Reply #10 on: October 12, 2010, 02:52:42 PM »
It's good deal $$$/size for a SSD but the Kingston's are all noticeably slower than comparable priced drives.   Actually they are almost 1/3rd slower than most of the newer drives at that price/performance range.     

Take a look at this A-DATA drive: http://www.amazon.com/ADATA-Sandforce-2-5-Inch-Internal-AS599S-128GM-C/dp/B003UEQW6E/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1286908938&sr=8-3

Much better specs as well as this drive getting several high reviews from online pubs/review sites.

Offline Chilly Brioschi

• The fool doth think he is wise, but the wise man knows himself to be a fool.
  • Waiting for the next cladogenetic event, or Godot
    • Oceana North America
« Reply #11 on: October 12, 2010, 11:27:44 PM »
"Peace is for everyone"
        - Norah Jones

"Music is the drug that won't kill you"
         - Fran Lebowitz

Offline tim in jersey

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (8)
« Reply #12 on: October 13, 2010, 10:27:50 AM »
Or you could get 24 SSDs...

http://www.wimp.com/samsungssds/

Offline rastasean

• in paradise
  • Trade Count: (23)
« Reply #13 on: October 13, 2010, 10:46:09 AM »
^ wicked
Advice is a form of nostalgia, dispensing it is a way of fishing the past from the disposal, wiping it off, painting over the ugly parts and recycling it for more than it’s worth.

Offline fleish

• Trade Count: (4)
  • I've been safariing since before you were born
« Reply #14 on: October 13, 2010, 01:49:37 PM »
^ wicked

'Cept for the windows part :P
Mics: AT853, MC930, AK40/AK50 > LC3 > KM100, ADK TL51
Cables: Audio Magic XStream silver, Kind Kables, Zaolla M1.5
Decks: D8, Busman Hybrid R4

My LMA tapes: http://archive.org/search.php?query=taper%3A%22Todd+Fleisher%22

My LMA transfers: http://archive.org/search.php?query=-taper%3A%28Todd%20Fleisher%29%20AND%20transferer%3A%28Todd%20Fleisher%29

My LMA uploads: http://archive.org/search.php?query=collection%3Aetree%20AND%20uploader%3A%28todd%40fleish.org%29

Awesome. David said you were like The Wolf in Pulp Fiction. Shows up just in time with tons of gear, does a pro job, and disappears into the night! :-)

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.088 seconds with 40 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com