Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Optical to coax...what to do?  (Read 6450 times)

Offline twatts (pants are so over-rated...)

• <://PHiSH//><
  • Trade Count: (16)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • Lego made a Mini-Fig of me!
Re: Optical to coax...what to do?
« Reply #15 on: November 15, 2011, 12:13:28 AM »
I have connected the tapedeck (Nakamichi Dragon) with  the 2 x RCA (left + right) to 2 x XLR (left + right) to the Edirol (Phantom OFF). The outputlevel on the tapedeck I kept very low and played a bit with the gainsetting on the edirol (inner/outer knob....boy...won't go into that , i believe there is info enough about that).
I was pleased with the result (recorded a part in 24bit/192hz). I don't know if balanced/unbalanced has anything to do with this situation, just don't know how that works. Can changing something in this setup make it 'better'?

New question did arise. By choosing the Behringer route (instead of above) to coax-in, i am bypassing the internal preamp from the Edirol (right?). Would this be 'better' ?. One extra 'problem' is than: i will not be able to record in 192hz, but 96hz max (as that is what the Behringer is passing through). I know, the difference will not be heard, but that is not the point ;)

curious to the advice..

Double check the Behringer, doesn't it have an RCA SPDIF output???  If so, run that to your Edirol...

I would run a few tapes via Dragon > analog > Behringer > SPDIF > Edirol, and then the smae exact tapes via Dragon > analog > Edirol.  I would make a decision from there based on HQ listening...  Both the Behringer and R44 are doing the same thing (level tweak and ADC). 

I know you want 24/192, I think you should run the best you can with both systems and make a decision from there.  You may decide the 24/96 tapes via the Behringer are preferable to a 24/192 tape via the Edirol???

I'm not sure there is a "better" or "best" or anything like that.  They are your tapes, and you are free to present them to The Masses however you like, depending on what you think sounds "better".  If you prefer the Behringer sound, go for it!  If not, ditch it!

Terry

***Do you have PHISH, VIDA BLUE, JAZZ MANDOLIN PROJECT or any other Phish related DATs/Tapes/MDs that need to be transferred???  I can do them for you!!!***

I will return your DATs/Tapes/MDs.  I'll also provide Master FLAC files via DropBox.  PM me for details.

Sony PCM R500 > SPDIF > Tascam HD-P2
Nakamichi DR-3 > (Oade Advanced Concert Mod) Tascam HD-P2
Sony MDS-JE510 > Hosa ODL-276 > Tascam HD-P2

runonce

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #16 on: November 15, 2011, 01:15:05 AM »
I have connected the tapedeck (Nakamichi Dragon) with  the 2 x RCA (left + right) to 2 x XLR (left + right) to the Edirol (Phantom OFF). The outputlevel on the tapedeck I kept very low and played a bit with the gainsetting on the edirol (inner/outer knob....boy...won't go into that , i believe there is info enough about that).
I was pleased with the result (recorded a part in 24bit/192hz). I don't know if balanced/unbalanced has anything to do with this situation, just don't know how that works. Can changing something in this setup make it 'better'?

New question did arise. By choosing the Behringer route (instead of above) to coax-in, i am bypassing the internal preamp from the Edirol (right?). Would this be 'better' ?. One extra 'problem' is than: i will not be able to record in 192hz, but 96hz max (as that is what the Behringer is passing through). I know, the difference will not be heard, but that is not the point ;)

curious to the advice..

Double check the Behringer, doesn't it have an RCA SPDIF output???  If so, run that to your Edirol...

I would run a few tapes via Dragon > analog > Behringer > SPDIF > Edirol, and then the smae exact tapes via Dragon > analog > Edirol.  I would make a decision from there based on HQ listening...  Both the Behringer and R44 are doing the same thing (level tweak and ADC). 

I know you want 24/192, I think you should run the best you can with both systems and make a decision from there.  You may decide the 24/96 tapes via the Behringer are preferable to a 24/192 tape via the Edirol???

I'm not sure there is a "better" or "best" or anything like that.  They are your tapes, and you are free to present them to The Masses however you like, depending on what you think sounds "better".  If you prefer the Behringer sound, go for it!  If not, ditch it!

Terry

Ears are the final maker...

Run the Behringer at 0 gain...(at the top/middle) - I would resist adding gain there. Work it later in post.(if you have to add more than 3db in post...maybe bump the levels a bit )

I think the Behringer has opti/coax and AES...and word clock outs.

And - I forget if the Dragon has balanced outs or not - but read up on each unit's preferred way of accepting an unbalanced connection...

Offline justink

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #17 on: November 15, 2011, 01:49:55 AM »

curious to the advice..

The Behringer has both optical and coax outputs.

And - you'll want to keep the output level on the tape deck all the way up...no point in attenuating a nice line level signal...you're increasing your noise by running it low.

to the bolded, i've always thought it was good to turn the volume all the way up, then back it down a bit.  this way, you're not blowing the amp (possibly causing distortion) on the outgoing signal, and using clean gain on the incoming signal if needed.

for example:  say you are running an analog patch out of your R-09 headphone jack to the analog in of another R-09.  unity gain on the R-09 is 08 to 13 (if i'm remembering correctly).  so, in this case, if you set your peak levels on the recording/second R-09 where you want them and you're under unity gain, you probably have your first R-09 running too hot out the headphones and might be distorting the signal... correct?

edit:  i get it now... wasn't thinking we're talking about two different things here. 
« Last Edit: November 15, 2011, 02:22:01 PM by justink »
Mics:
DPA 4023 (Cardioid)
DPA 4028 (Subcardioid)
DPA 4018V (Supercardioid)
Earthworks TC25 (Omni) 

Pres and A/D's:
Grace Design Lunatec V3 (Oade ACM)
Edirol UA-5 (bm2p+ Mod)

Recorders:
Sound Devices MixPre10 II
Edirol R-44 (Oade CM)
Sony PCM‑M10

Offline Popmarter

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Taperssection Member
    • Live Music Archive
« Reply #18 on: November 15, 2011, 01:54:06 PM »
Thanks a for comments,  ;D  interesting to see all opinions en differences. I go and try both routes to see what my ears tell. Maybe i will post some samples, but can take a few weeks as i am busy.
Recorders: Zoom F3; SD MixPre 3 II; Sony A10; Edirol R44; Sony M10; Sony WM-D6; iRiver IHP-120; Sharp MD-MT20; Sharp MD-MT190
Microphones: Schoeps MK41; Nevaton MC59/S (cards); Milab VM-44 Links (cards), AT853 7.4mod (cards); AT831 (cards); Nakamichi CM300 (all CP's); Soundman OKM II Rock Studios
Preamps: Beyerdynamic MV100; JK Laboratories DVC-X-17b; Naiant IPA; Nakamichi MX-100 modded for 9v battery use ; Baby Nbox

Offline Charlie Miller

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Come On, Get Happy
« Reply #19 on: November 17, 2011, 02:22:42 AM »
I use this:

http://www.m-audio.com/products/en_us/CO2.html

Runs on AC or 9volt battery.
Audio Engineer & Archivist for Steve Kimock Productions

Schoeps CMC6/MK4, AKG 460/CK61, AKG C34
Sound Devices 744T
Dante Multitrack Rig

Offline Fried Chicken Boy

• Trade Count: (8)
« Reply #20 on: November 17, 2011, 04:31:28 PM »
I use this:

http://www.m-audio.com/products/en_us/CO2.html

Runs on AC or 9volt battery.

Is this M-Audio box "bit perfect" when it does the conversion?  Asking as I just don't know.  I recall reading other threads here on TS about coax/optical converters where the Hosa models were touted as the favorite because they were bit perfect converters.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.054 seconds with 34 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com