Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Best way to balance channel levels  (Read 6500 times)

Offline nassau73

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Taperssection Regular
Re: Best way to balance channel levels
« Reply #15 on: October 02, 2013, 04:38:08 PM »
It's because of short audio peaks that hand clapping may give to audio.
What I'm often do is simply put this region a few decibels down via level automation (Adobe Audition), and rise up when hand clapping is over (for example)

loud clapping is probably my biggest pet peave and the source of most of my post-production work.  from the pic you posted it looks like you're using Adobe Audition... yes?  that's what i use (version CS 5.5) and i really like it a lot.

1. envelope filter: seems to be the easiest and quickest fix for loud clapping between songs.  it takes a little bit of practive to make a natural sounding transition from the song to the clapping, but the learning curve for this tool is not steep at all. 

2. declicker: this isn't the best tool for eliminating clapping, but it can help slightly.  it is best used for clapping in between songs; not as good for eliminating clapping over the music.

3. auto heal: this is the absolute best tool that i have found for eliminating clapping anywhere on a recording.  however, it is extremely time intensive.  to effectively reduce or eliminate clapping you have to zoom in to highlight each clap and deal with them one by one.  this tool is best used for clapping during the music because you are surgically removing individual claps that only last a fraction of a second.

i also found a link to an article titled "5 Tools for Cleaning Up Audio in Adobe Audition" that may provide some additional assistance.   

Great response. I'm a new user as far as post production techniques and found the following video very helpful in the way to use the envelope filter, etc. It also demonstrates the use of the spectral display. I'm using Audition 3.0 so some of the menu items in the video are a bit different than the version the demo is using.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hfp5ze0XTUo

I've only had the chance to edit one show so far where I have used the envelope filter. There were a number of places where I would use the filter on individual claps or hoots from the person sitting next to me. When working on individual loud claps, the drop in the music in the background was almost completely unnoticeable.

In a few instances where this person next to me clapped for an extended period of time, I applied the filter to the entire segment (since there was no music nor stage banter going on). When listening in headphones, there was a noticeable drop in the "ambiance" but the claps were diminished enough so that they didn't just pop out at you enough to make you jump out of your chair!

In some other instances, the auto heal did an amazing job. So far in my limited experience, I've found that auto heal can be applied to only very small segments of audio. Basically, you're eliminating the clap and taking a bit of the audio from one side of the clap and a bit of audio from the other side of the clap and blending them together to "heal" the gap you just created. In most cases, the result is not noticeable.

The other thing that really helped me was once I figured out the level of filtering that worked best with each individual tool, I'd create a shortcut (kinda like a macro in a spreadsheet or word processor). Then it becomes a simple matter of highlighting the audio segment (offending clap) and use your keyboard combination or click the shortcut that you created in the list. Creating the shortcuts in Audition 3.0 is quite different than the demo, but if you poke around a bit, it's easy to figure out.

Online Gutbucket

• record > listen > revise technique
  • Trade Count: (15)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • "Better to love music than respect it" ~Stravinsky
Re: Best way to balance channel levels
« Reply #16 on: October 02, 2013, 05:14:15 PM »
I've only had the chance to edit one show so far where I have used the envelope filter. There were a number of places where I would use the filter on individual claps or hoots from the person sitting next to me. When working on individual loud claps, the drop in the music in the background was almost completely unnoticeable.

That is extremely effective, with minimal effect on the music.  It just takes a lot of work since you do all the work as the compressor/limiter.  It's much more challenging to set compressers and/or limiters to do that automatically without unacceptible audible compromises.

In some other instances, the auto heal did an amazing job. So far in my limited experience, I've found that auto heal can be applied to only very small segments of audio. Basically, you're eliminating the clap and taking a bit of the audio from one side of the clap and a bit of audio from the other side of the clap and blending them together to "heal" the gap you just created. In most cases, the result is not noticeable.

This is similar to manually drawing volume envelopes in its "surgical" correction of breif anomolies.  It also takes a lot of work to address each instance.  But it goes farther in that it can be very effective at greatly reducing unwanted short durration noises that are not necessarily simply "over-loud" such as coughs, squeeks, clinks, pops, and other audience noises. "Auto heal" sounds like Adobe Audition's specific term for the function.  FYI, you will find similar functionality in other softwares refered to as "Spectral Repair" or a term similar to that.
musical volition > vibrations > voltages > numeric values > voltages > vibrations> virtual teleportation time-machine experience
Better recording made easy - >>Improved PAS table<< | Made excellent- >>click here to download the Oddball Microphone Technique illustrated PDF booklet<< (note: This is a 1st draft, now several years old and in need of revision!  Stay tuned)

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.062 seconds with 30 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com