Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: UA5>Dell at 24 bit?????  (Read 2421 times)

Offline timP

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Needs to get out more...
UA5>Dell at 24 bit?????
« on: February 01, 2005, 11:54:48 AM »
anyone tried this setup with success?

I have a nice new P4 2.8Ghz 512MB ram 25GB HD lappy and I could use it to tape some shows where space is not an issue

24/48 is the best the UA5 does bit perfectly, right?
?>FR2LE

Offline mirth

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Les Hommes Savvent Pourquois
Re: UA5>Dell at 24 bit?????
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2005, 12:22:19 PM »
UA-5 is not bit perfect in any regards, when used as a D>D transfer device (DAT > Computer, example).

24/48 is pretty stable, once you get buffers tweaked correctly in your recording app. Some have had successes running 24/96, others have been hit and miss.
Governor Jim McGreevey was equally disturbed about the upcoming population increase. "New Jersey cannot support all of these wookies," he said. "For starters, we don't have nearly enough kindbud. At best, we can muster up a Q.P. of some beasties, but we've not a dime-bag more."

Offline RRobar

• Mac Design Geek
  • "It's allgood ....brah!"
    • Headway Graphixx
« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2005, 12:45:33 PM »
But if your running mic in bit perfect is not an issue. Thats only going Digi>Digi. The UA5 can do 24/96 however the most that USB can reliably do is 24/48.
Need Graphic Design Work? Goto http://www.headwaygraphixx.com

Offline timP

• Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2005, 01:20:40 PM »
right on

what are these buffers you speak of? ;D

(I am going to do so reading on the ins and out of laptop recording this eve--- planning on using either Wavelab or CDwave)
?>FR2LE

Offline mirth

« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2005, 01:37:52 PM »
buffers are software settings which dictate how large 'pools' of temporary memory will be to hold data waiting to be written to the hard drive. Having more than necessary is never a problem, however having less than necessary can result in dropped samples. This comes into play more with older/slower hardware.

The first show I taped with my regular rig & UA-5 was toasted due to 1/2 second dropouts at regular intervals. Sucked, too... I was the only taper in attendance who made it through the whole evening.
Governor Jim McGreevey was equally disturbed about the upcoming population increase. "New Jersey cannot support all of these wookies," he said. "For starters, we don't have nearly enough kindbud. At best, we can muster up a Q.P. of some beasties, but we've not a dime-bag more."

Offline Teen Age Riot

• Trade Count: (5)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2005, 05:52:25 PM »
I'll be using a similar setup soon. Is buffer size an issue when you're recording with WaveLab 5? The reason asking (and I am a little computer stupid I must confess) is because WaveLab writes the file on the hard drive while recording and doesn't use a temporary file. At least that's my understanding. Please correct me if I'm wrong.

Offline RRobar

• Mac Design Geek
  • "It's allgood ....brah!"
    • Headway Graphixx
« Reply #6 on: February 01, 2005, 09:03:41 PM »
I'll be using a similar setup soon. Is buffer size an issue when you're recording with WaveLab 5? The reason asking (and I am a little computer stupid I must confess) is because WaveLab writes the file on the hard drive while recording and doesn't use a temporary file. At least that's my understanding. Please correct me if I'm wrong.

I'm not sure about wavelab 5 but in 4 you had to set it to not record that temp file (which is a backup of the main recording). Otherwise you run out of space quick doing 24 bit. But that temp file could save your ass if the machine goes down.
Need Graphic Design Work? Goto http://www.headwaygraphixx.com

Offline mmedley.

• is on a salty highway burning up a lucky streak
  • CAR RAMROD
« Reply #7 on: February 01, 2005, 11:39:55 PM »
RRobar is right. You DO NOT want to record to temporary files unless absolutely necessary. The main reason being you will not be able to record more than 2 gigs without stopping the recording (i.e. Split Mode unavailable). I run a vxPocket 440 using all 4 channels at 24/48 and have made several successful tapes, but also axed a couple due to not using the split mode and prenamed files. I am using WaveLab 5.01 BTW. Hope this helps.
I don't know just where I'm going
But I'm gonna try for the kingdom, if I can

Offline Teen Age Riot

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #8 on: February 02, 2005, 03:42:00 AM »
RRobar is right. You DO NOT want to record to temporary files unless absolutely necessary. The main reason being you will not be able to record more than 2 gigs without stopping the recording (i.e. Split Mode unavailable). I run a vxPocket 440 using all 4 channels at 24/48 and have made several successful tapes, but also axed a couple due to not using the split mode and prenamed files. I am using WaveLab 5.01 BTW. Hope this helps.

It definitely helps. Thanks a lot! But does this also mean that there's no need to worry about buffer size at all, or is that something else?

Offline mirth

« Reply #9 on: February 03, 2005, 12:04:23 AM »
No, still worry about buffer size.... Think of the buffer as a temporary holding pen before the pcm data gets written to the hard drive.

Since moving to CDWave for recording I haven't needed to worry about buffer settings. I don't know if its a WaveLab resource utilization/ASIO issue or what... I know that CDWave uses the MME drivers.

Offline Teen Age Riot

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #10 on: February 04, 2005, 11:51:45 AM »
That answers my questions. Thanks again!

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.072 seconds with 35 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com