Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: 24-bit FLAC encoding  (Read 6877 times)

Offline keepongoin

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Needs to get out more...
24-bit FLAC encoding
« on: February 02, 2005, 11:07:35 AM »
What version of FLAC frontend do I need?

I have 1.1.1 and it says that my 24/96 wave files are not a known format.

WTF?
“When fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying the cross.” Sinclair Lewis: How Fascism Will Come To America (1935)

"Science is facts; just as houses are made of stones, so is science made of facts; but a pile of stones is not a house and a collection of facts is not necessarily science."- Henri Poincare

http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/pierce

Offline MattD

• Taper Emeritus
  • Trade Count: (1)
Re: 24-bit FLAC encoding
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2005, 12:30:03 PM »
1.1.1 is the latest version, AFAIK. What editor/program did you use to create those files? Odds are it's doing something to the wave formate when saving. They *are* wav files, right? (Not SDII or AIFF or something else.)
Out of the game … for now?

Offline John Kelly

• Been a while...
    • The Jokell
« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2005, 09:55:19 AM »
You could also try using shntool with SOX, it may be able to read the format to pass it on to flac.
Sennheiser MKH8040st > SD 702
XBL/PSN/Steam ID: thejokell

Offline keepongoin

• Trade Count: (4)
« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2005, 12:50:57 PM »
i used sourdforge to edit and CdWave to track them. 

flac just doesn't seem to want to work.

i dithered the original wav to 16/44.1 and have circulated the show that way.

i would like to archive these old analog tapes in 24bit/96khz.  i must figure out what is wrong.  I am going to start using wavelab instead of soundforge.
“When fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying the cross.” Sinclair Lewis: How Fascism Will Come To America (1935)

"Science is facts; just as houses are made of stones, so is science made of facts; but a pile of stones is not a house and a collection of facts is not necessarily science."- Henri Poincare

http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/pierce

Offline dnsacks

• Trade Count: (9)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2005, 12:56:59 PM »
cdwave can save directly to flac (at least with 16/44.1 files) -- have you tried saving directly to flac with the 24/96 files in cdwave?

Offline MattD

• Taper Emeritus
« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2005, 01:17:53 PM »
some versions of CD wave have a funky thing for 24-bit wave format. Check the preferences for "alternate 24-bit format" and either check it or uncheck it depending on what it's set to now and try FLAC-ing that.

Offline JasonSobel

• Trade Count: (8)
    • My show list
« Reply #6 on: February 03, 2005, 01:49:15 PM »
when I use CD Wave to cut up 24 bit files, I always check the "use alternate 24-bit format"

It's something about Microsoft trying to redefine the way header info is used in .wav files (I forget exactly what they were trying to change and why).  but in my experience, a file saved from CD Wave, WITHOUT using the "alternate" 24-bit format, will NOT open in Cool Edit 2000.  However, when I use the "alternate" 24-bit format, Cool Edit opens it just fine, and I've had no problems compressed to FLAC.

Offline Tall Adam

• The Artist Formerly Known as GQJSP
« Reply #7 on: February 03, 2005, 02:12:48 PM »
correct. saving with out the "Alternate" format does something to the headers and makes it an Unknown file type in flac. try that, or really just output directly to flac. no reason to run frontend if your saving from cdwave

Offline Dr.FOB

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Member
  • USM69i
« Reply #8 on: February 04, 2005, 08:16:26 AM »
The purpose of flac, like shorten, is to convert a wav file to a compressed data file for transport and storage.  CDWave has not proven, to me, to be effective in compressing 24 bit files in flac format, regardless of the compression setting. The flacs are valid, but no smaller than the wav files.  Stick with flac frontend.
Neumann gear slut

Offline creekfreak

• Retired from taping
  • My Son's School Bus
    • Rochester Groove
« Reply #9 on: February 04, 2005, 07:37:23 PM »
when I use CD Wave to cut up 24 bit files, I always check the "use alternate 24-bit format"

It's something about Microsoft trying to redefine the way header info is used in .wav files (I forget exactly what they were trying to change and why).  but in my experience, a file saved from CD Wave, WITHOUT using the "alternate" 24-bit format, will NOT open in Cool Edit 2000.  However, when I use the "alternate" 24-bit format, Cool Edit opens it just fine, and I've had no problems compressed to FLAC.

I do the same, have to use it also if you plan to burn your 24bit files onto DVD for listening in a dvd-v player using DVD audio creator, if you don't, audio creator won't recognize the files
It is company policy never to imply ownership in the event of a dildo - We have to use the indefinite article; "A" dildo, never: "YOUR" dildo.
In Tyler we Trust

And isn't sanity really just a one-trick pony anyway? I mean all you get is one trick, rational thinking, but when you're good and crazy, ooh ooh ooh, the sky is the limit!

My Current Rig:2004 Subaru WRX STI, Stage 3, 360hp, 380lb-ft

Offline The Kilted Taper

• Real men wear kilts.
« Reply #10 on: April 15, 2005, 01:26:39 PM »
Similar situation here, but Frontend is telling me they are not WAVE files, and that I must specify a value for endian, sign, channels, bps and sample-rate.

I've gone from the master .w64 file, broke it up in SF 6.0 and saved the tracks as .wav's. Any thoughts?
"The guy who's been dissed, dismissed and demoted so often that he should have officially changed his first name to "Backup." "

Offline MattD

• Taper Emeritus
« Reply #11 on: April 15, 2005, 01:36:28 PM »
Hmm ... maybe the w64 hearder info is still there?

Offline The Kilted Taper

• Real men wear kilts.
« Reply #12 on: April 15, 2005, 02:04:42 PM »
Here's another question, Soundforge doesn't even ask in what format I want to save the regions, put does give it the .wav tag. Nothing (real player, winamp, etc) will open/play the file EXCEPT SF6.0. Am I missing something?
"The guy who's been dissed, dismissed and demoted so often that he should have officially changed his first name to "Backup." "

Offline The Kilted Taper

• Real men wear kilts.
« Reply #13 on: April 15, 2005, 02:19:36 PM »
Maybe it's my FLAC Frontend. I can't even Decode any flacs I have on my laptop right now. It's saying:

ERROR while decoding metadata
state = FLAC_STREAM_DECODER_END_OF_STREAM

Offline MattD

• Taper Emeritus
« Reply #14 on: April 15, 2005, 03:21:16 PM »
Are you nearly out of disk space?

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.107 seconds with 43 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com