Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Best Way to Edit A Cuss Word?  (Read 4059 times)

Offline Brian_CT

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Member
Best Way to Edit A Cuss Word?
« on: February 14, 2006, 09:42:06 AM »
A band I recorded last fall (with permission) is having an upcoming benefit show to raise money for a local 18-month girl who needs expensive medical equipment that is not covered by insurance.  I approached the band about making a bunch of CDs of that performance (in jewel cases with a color insert) to sell cheaply at the show to raise money for the cause, and they like the idea.  The only issue is that there is a single curse word (bitch) in the between-song banter that has to be removed (legally they can't swear on record).

What is the best (and least distracting) way to do this?  (I have Audacity & Cool Edit Pro 2.0)
-Just highlight it and delete it?  (might be too 'sudden')
-Lower the volume so it's basically silent for that portion?
-'Garble' the word?    <---- my preferred method if I knew how to do it

I know this probably comes down to personal preference, but any advice would be appreciated. I need to put this project together quickly. These will be purchased by people who are not typically live music collectors and I want to do whatever sounds the best to their ears.

Thanks.

-Brian

Offline SuperDave

• Needs to get out more...
  • Now that's a mandolin!
Re: Best Way to Edit A Cuss Word?
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2006, 09:45:44 AM »
I think when they garble the word they're just reversing it.  That's what we used to do at the radio station where I worked.
I'm gonna go put my spacesuit on boys, then lets get this dirty cocksucker in the air! ...

Open Rig: ADK A-51 TL's > Oade Warm Mod UA-5 > Iriver H120/JB3
Stealth Rig: AT853 > SP-SPSB-10 > Iriver h120

Roving Sign

« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2006, 10:27:45 AM »
I think when they garble the word they're just reversing it.  That's what we used to do at the radio station where I worked.

I would consider garbling to be the most distracting - I hate those rap CDs with the cusses reversed...

Unless the banter is central to the show - or next number - just edit all of it out...

For this kind of release - folks will buy it for the music, and the charity...

Dont pine over it too much...you're probably the only one who will know the banter is gone...

Offline JasonSobel

• Trade Count: (8)
    • My show list
« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2006, 10:32:17 AM »
if it's between songs, there's probably crowd noise on both sides of it as well.
I'd say you should delete the small portion, and then overlap the two sides and cross fade them together.  that should make it appear seamless.

Offline rowjimmy

• Trade Count: (4)
  • rowjimmy.com
    • Row Knows
« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2006, 10:36:16 AM »
Ditto to the above. Unless the banter is absolutly critical to the performance (and I doubt that it's Secret Language Instructions) it san probably be crossfaded out with the crowdnoise.
Bandcamp | Host of The Brokedown Podcast
mic > wires > recorder

Offline macroint

• Jeff's List
« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2006, 10:39:37 AM »
(legally they can't swear on record).

Just wondering...why is it illegal for them to swear on record? Did you tape the Mormon Tabernacle Choir?
Peluso CEMC6>PS-2>AD-20>NJB3

SUPPORT LOCAL MUSIC
http://baltimore-taper.blogspot.com

Offline Brian_CT

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #6 on: February 14, 2006, 11:16:47 AM »
(legally they can't swear on record).

Just wondering...why is it illegal for them to swear on record? Did you tape the Mormon Tabernacle Choir?

No, it's not the MTC  ;D

This is the way it was communicated to me by the band........maybe something in their record contract?

Offline TenoRichards

• Taperssection Regular
  • Resident Taper/Audiophile Wannabe
    • Tenor
« Reply #7 on: February 14, 2006, 11:40:12 AM »
What I do, if there is a moment where something needs to be "edited" .....

I create a seperate track next to it, then place an audience sound from someplace else in the original track, say a singular cough or rustle of program...and line it right up w/ the offending moment. Ya just simply copy and paste that second from original track, and line it up right under the offensive word in the next track. Voila. Done.

It will help to use the envelope feature in the original track to gradually lower the gain thru the banter, so that it is a manageable level that is able to be covered up by the 'cough cough'

I'm always doing this in live stuff of my own. Don't like that high note? Well, I just put a cough or sneeze over it! The soprano got more applause in her aria than my own? Well, shit, I copy her applause and shouts  and paste it over my own (but maybe change the pitch a bit so's not to sound too much like the original "brava" shouts and more like "bravo".) I'm evil with that shit!  >:D

Oops, I'm talking too much again.
« Last Edit: February 14, 2006, 11:45:54 AM by TenoRichards »
dpa 4060's>BBox>acm modded pmd671 or Edirol r-09
www.tenorrichards.com

Offline Brian_CT

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #8 on: February 14, 2006, 11:50:00 AM »
Thanks for all of your input.

I'm going to play around with a couple of things.  I want to leave most of the banter in place since it adds to the vibe of the show, and you've given me some great ideas. Here's the info about the benefit for anyone in the CT area, it promises to be a fun night:

http://thezambonis.com/news.html

The recording is from the 11/27 show, mentioned a little further down the page.

-B

Offline Krispy D

• Trade Count: (1)
    • my recordings on LMA
« Reply #9 on: February 14, 2006, 12:06:51 PM »
if it's between songs, there's probably crowd noise on both sides of it as well.
I'd say you should delete the small portion, and then overlap the two sides and cross fade them together.  that should make it appear seamless.

yup.
Peluso CEMC6, ck4/ck21
Oktava MC012
Sony ECM260f
AT 811

canare star quads
DIY mil spec silvers

DIY (W-ish) mod UA5>JB3
Oade ACM PMD 660
R4

You cannot strengthen the weak by weakening the strong. You cannot help the wage-earner by pulling down the wage-payer. You cannot help the poor by destroying the rich. You cannot help men permanently by doing for them what they could and should do for themselves.
~Rev. William J. H. Boetcker (not Lincoln)

Offline divamum

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #10 on: February 14, 2006, 12:10:33 PM »

I'm always doing this in live stuff of my own. Don't like that high note? Well, I just put a cough or sneeze over it! The soprano got more applause in her aria than my own? Well, shit, I copy her applause and shouts  and paste it over my own (but maybe change the pitch a bit so's not to sound too much like the original "brava" shouts and more like "bravo".) I'm evil with that shit!  >:D

Oops, I'm talking too much again.

Ummm....w as that inside voice or outside voice?  ;)

Holy crap - never even OCURRED to me to use coughs to fudge a whoopsie... I bow down in admiration, Oh Evil One.............
DPA4060
R09

Offline Humbug

• Trade Count: (5)
  • Humbug Hum Rejection Unit
    • Trading site
« Reply #11 on: February 15, 2006, 09:23:38 AM »
This thread is great...love how its turned into "how to fake a recording"!

I once put together a CD for a small UK band - they played a gig in front of 20 people - I dubbed in applause and crowd noise from another gig from a 500 capacity venue..I was crying with laughter listening to the finished result, and more importantly the band loved it.
UK based taper: MK4>Nbox Platinum>PCM-M10
AT853C>CA9200 / PIPsqueak>Tascam DR-2D

http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/Humbug66

Offline rowjimmy

• rowjimmy.com
    • Row Knows
« Reply #12 on: February 15, 2006, 10:24:28 AM »
jeez and I thought I was cheating by taking 4 decent takes on a guitar solo and editing them into one great solo...

mic > wires > recorder

Offline Krispy D

• Trade Count: (1)
    • my recordings on LMA
« Reply #13 on: February 15, 2006, 10:54:27 AM »
jeez and I thought I was cheating by taking 4 decent takes on a guitar solo and editing them into one great solo...

na that's just how it's done!

what's really fucked up is pitch shifting for crappy singers.  now that's cheating
Peluso CEMC6, ck4/ck21
Oktava MC012
Sony ECM260f
AT 811

canare star quads
DIY mil spec silvers

DIY (W-ish) mod UA5>JB3
Oade ACM PMD 660
R4

You cannot strengthen the weak by weakening the strong. You cannot help the wage-earner by pulling down the wage-payer. You cannot help the poor by destroying the rich. You cannot help men permanently by doing for them what they could and should do for themselves.
~Rev. William J. H. Boetcker (not Lincoln)

Offline rowjimmy

• rowjimmy.com
    • Row Knows
« Reply #14 on: February 15, 2006, 11:13:04 AM »
agreed. I draw the line there.
mic > wires > recorder

Offline TenoRichards

• Taperssection Regular
  • Resident Taper/Audiophile Wannabe
    • Tenor
« Reply #15 on: February 17, 2006, 09:51:10 AM »
Which reminds me...

I was in the studio's with the producer of the movie The Producers. They bitched, moaned and ke-vetched over what to do about a certain (female) person's "singing" in that movie. They said they nearly had to fix every 2nd note out of her mouth in post. The most tedious thing they could have ever done.

Most of us...ok...i....had no idea how much 'fixing' goes on in the studio. Hats off to the pros who go out and do it LIVE.
dpa 4060's>BBox>acm modded pmd671 or Edirol r-09
www.tenorrichards.com

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.08 seconds with 41 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com