Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Normalize 24 bit source (5 gig file)  (Read 6867 times)

Offline hoyt

• Trade Count: (5)
  • Taperssection Member
    • http://www.the-hoyts.com
Normalize 24 bit source (5 gig file)
« on: March 02, 2006, 10:55:11 PM »
So, I didn't think of this before, but I have 3 chucks of this tape because of the 2 gig split.  I ran it low this night and need to normalize it, is there a way to do this across multiple files?  I'm using WaveLab and didn't see a way to do this.  Is this what the Meta Normalizer does?

Thanks!

--hoyt
dpa4028/4023/4011er > sx-m2d2/ sx-r4+

Offline shruggy1987

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Member
  • Team Ithaca
Re: Normalize 24 bit source (5 gig file)
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2006, 11:01:17 PM »
join the files together and then normalize. 
SP LSD2 > bm2 UA-5 (coax out) > M-Audio Microtrack
SP LSD2 > bm2 UA-5 > MacBook Pro

Offline rustoleum

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • AKG 481s->MiaGi IIs->MiniMe->MTII
« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2006, 07:53:22 AM »
Alternatively, use the "Get Peak Level' feature of the Normalize UI on each of the three WAVs... each run will probably return a different value.  Take the closest to 0 value and then use the "add gain"  feature to add that much gain to each wav.

Ex:
Detect peak returns  -6, -5, and -8 for each of the three wavs, respectively.

Then Add 5db to each WAV (although technically,I guess you'd only want to add 4.9 db so as not to hit 0 on the 2nd wav in this example).

Since the wavs are split up into reasonable sizes you will be less likely to encounter any 2 gig limit issues.  Although it sounds like you still have 2 2-gig files which means you'll most likely need to split those files up further, or use smaller bit-depth temp files for the operations.
« Last Edit: March 03, 2006, 07:57:05 AM by rustoleum »

Offline hoyt

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2006, 09:15:12 AM »
join the files together and then normalize. 

I didn't think this would work because when I joined the files together, I got a 5.08 gig file, then when I opened it in WaveLab, it only showed at 33 minutes long.  I figured that was WaveLab saying, this file is more than 2 gig, and can't open it right.  Should it be able to open a file over 2 gig?  I thought it would choke on that... 

Thanks!

--hoyt

EDIT: Must be shntool not liking 4 gig, not wavelab.  I can combine two of the files, but trying to join the 3rd causes it to mess up the file before I even open it in WaveLab... hmmm.
« Last Edit: March 03, 2006, 09:55:58 AM by hoyt »

Offline kindms

• Trade Count: (6)
  • Needs to get out more...
    • The Breakfast
« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2006, 12:01:19 PM »
My experience with Wavelab is that it will alllow me to join large files together and I will be able to "get gain" but if I try to render a file (ie dither, change sample rate, or add gain etc )  it will puke and say the file has become too large.

I usually just find a spot I would normally make a track split and cut it up in to smalle files and add the same amount of gain to each indiviual file
AKG c426, AKG414 XLS/ST, AKG ck61, ck22, >nBob colettes >PFA > V3, SD MixPre >  TCM-Mod Tascam HDP2, Sony M10
Little Bear tube Pre >Outlaw Audio 2200 Monoblocks > VR-2's

Offline BC

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Bongo Bongo
« Reply #5 on: March 03, 2006, 12:04:15 PM »
Alternatively, use the "Get Peak Level' feature of the Normalize UI on each of the three WAVs... each run will probably return a different value.  Take the closest to 0 value and then use the "add gain"  feature to add that much gain to each wav.

Ex:

Then Add 5db to each WAV (although technically,I guess you'd only want to add 4.9 db so as not to hit 0 on the 2nd wav in this example).

Since the wavs are split up into reasonable sizes you will be less likely to encounter any 2 gig limit issues.  Although it sounds like you still have 2 2-gig files which means you'll most likely need to split those files up further, or use smaller bit-depth temp files for the operations.

Even though doing it this way should theoretically give you the same final level for each, I think there is a good chance they will not match up perfectly and you will hear a slight discontinuity in level. I would try to make sure the split points are not during songs so that if there is a volume mismatch it will be less noticeable or important.

Is your size limit 4GB or 2GB?

If 4 GB, you could combine into two files, and normalize each one. Then you would only have 1 split point where there might be a volume change.

While I was typing this I just saw kindms's post, that looks like a good idea too. I think using adding gain is a better idea than normalizing in this case due to the separate files, this way the volume increase should be constant over all parts.

In: DPA4022>V3>Microtracker/D8

Out: Morrison ELAD>Adcom GFA555mkII>Martin Logan Aerius i

Offline fozzy

• Trade Count: (2)
  • move along, nothing much to see here
« Reply #6 on: March 03, 2006, 12:20:48 PM »

Ex:

This is the way I did it but using Soundforge, my wavelab doesn't render properly for some reason. 
MK 4V > KCY 250/5 Ig (KS 10I)  > VST62IUg > 722

Offline hoyt

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #7 on: March 03, 2006, 12:50:20 PM »
My experience with Wavelab is that it will alllow me to join large files together and I will be able to "get gain" but if I try to render a file (ie dither, change sample rate, or add gain etc )  it will puke and say the file has become too large.

I usually just find a spot I would normally make a track split and cut it up in to smalle files and add the same amount of gain to each indiviual file

I tried the join in WaveLab and got an error when saving that said it could not write larger than 2 gig files.  I feel like I don't know what I'm doing now, which is becoming more obvious :)  But how do you do any "post" on a 24 bit file then?  Say I wanted to run a compression or do some EQ on this too, do I have to find the settings that I like, save them and apply it to all 3 files the same way?  That seems dangerous, but is there no better way to work on 2, or 4+ gig files?

Life is easier in 16 bit! :-X  Thanks!

--hoyt

Offline nickgregory

• Admitted Jeter Homer
  • Trade Count: (2)
    • Hurricanes Insider
« Reply #8 on: March 03, 2006, 01:59:54 PM »

I tried the join in WaveLab and got an error when saving that said it could not write larger than 2 gig files.  I feel like I don't know what I'm doing now, which is becoming more obvious :)  But how do you do any "post" on a 24 bit file then?  Say I wanted to run a compression or do some EQ on this too, do I have to find the settings that I like, save them and apply it to all 3 files the same way?  That seems dangerous, but is there no better way to work on 2, or 4+ gig files?

Life is easier in 16 bit! :-X  Thanks!

--hoyt

that is how I do it..work on seperate files because Wavelab chokes on anything bigger than 2 Gb

Offline Brian Skalinder

• Complaint Dept.
  • Trade Count: (28)
« Reply #9 on: March 03, 2006, 03:03:48 PM »
But how do you do any "post" on a 24 bit file then?

This is one of the reasons I use Adobe Audition instead - it doesn't choke on > 2GB files.  It's a little slower processing, but saves the hassle of manipulating multiple files.
Milab VM-44 Links > Fostex FR-2LE or
Naiant IPA (tinybox format) >
Roland R-05

Offline momule

• Trade Count: (4)
« Reply #10 on: March 03, 2006, 04:38:39 PM »

This is one of the reasons I use Adobe Audition instead - it doesn't choke on > 2GB files.  It's a little slower processing, but saves the hassle of manipulating multiple files.

I believe the float point is why wavelab chokes on the file size as it works in 32 bit

ya can simply do a batch processing. No need to do them one at a time. Thats crazy talk.

AKG 463's (uno ck62) > Mackie Onyx Satellite > Microtrack II

Offline hoyt

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #11 on: March 03, 2006, 04:59:39 PM »

Aaaah, with audition I can use the multitrack mode, do everything I need to in there (including any dynamic stuff I wanted to do), and then select the parts that form one disc and mix it down to anything less than a 4 gig fille, then save it and then mix down the parts for disc 2.  Then it's back to WaveLab for dithering/ resampling.  Brilliant! :cheers: 

+t's to you guys.  Thanks!

--hoyt

Offline Brian Skalinder

• Complaint Dept.
  • Trade Count: (28)
« Reply #12 on: March 03, 2006, 05:07:45 PM »
Then it's back to WaveLab for dithering/ resampling.

Just curious...why back to WL for resample/dither?
Milab VM-44 Links > Fostex FR-2LE or
Naiant IPA (tinybox format) >
Roland R-05

Offline hoyt

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #13 on: March 03, 2006, 05:50:29 PM »
Then it's back to WaveLab for dithering/ resampling.

Just curious...why back to WL for resample/dither?

For the UV22 HR dithering function. 

Offline momule

• Trade Count: (4)
« Reply #14 on: March 03, 2006, 05:56:42 PM »
Im Interested in hearing your RRFB show. My recording sounds like I had the "tin can" switch on. 
Is that what your working on by chance?

Nick
AKG 463's (uno ck62) > Mackie Onyx Satellite > Microtrack II

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.107 seconds with 40 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com