Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: MacBook Pro for sampling and/or audio editing?  (Read 6479 times)

Offline mysterymadman

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Newbie
MacBook Pro for sampling and/or audio editing?
« on: April 25, 2007, 11:38:14 AM »
Hi,

Recently, from work I strenuously requested a MacBook Pro, and my wish was (justifiedly so ;) ) granted, so... as of recently, I have taken my first real steps in a very nice OS and hardware world, and naturally, I'd also like to investigate just how well this machine can be used for my audio sampling and editing efforts.

What I've got:
It's the 2.16GHz dual core Intel MacBook Pro, and it has (presently) 1 GB of memory, which will soon be upgraded to 2 or 3 GB. Of course I did not want to miss out on the possibility of also installing Windows on it, so for getting optimum performance out of the machine, I installed it natively in a Bootcamp partition (hence giving me access to the full force of the dual core processor, as well as better overall hardware support than would be the case in an entirely VMWare or Parallels installation), and the Windows of choice was XP Home (good enough for my purposes). Bootcamp 1.2 beta allows you to create a special drivers disc for better hardware support, and after installing it, the "audio hardware device" is listed as being a: "SigmaTel High Definition Audio CODEC" (more about this configuration can be found at a.o.: http://37prime.com/bootcamp.html ). I am not 100% certain as to what the actual hardware is, and probably Apple won't tell, but it does at least feature combined analogue and digital in and outputs.

What I used to use:
Previously I just used to sample from a somewhat old PC (a Dell Optiplex III or so), which AFAIK has an on-board sound card, which by no means will be a high end one. For editing I use Sony's SoundForge 8.0d.

What I'd like to know:
-Are there any (very) good Apple (or 3rd party) OS-X programs, that are up on par with Sound Forge?
-Does anyone know anything about the ADAC quality of the MacBook Pro's sound card?
-Has anyone already experimented with such a machine, and if so, what were your findings regarding audio editing?
-When sampling, would it be preferrable to do so from OS-X (if so: using which program?), or from the native Windows XP installation (with the above mentioned SigmaTel sund driver), using Sound Forge?

Finally, back in 1998 for my M.Sc. thesis I built a high end A/D D/A sampling board, and hence I know just how critical a good design is. More in particular, if the analogue sections are not very properly shielded against "digital overspeak" (if that's what it's called in English), a lot of sampling errors and inaccuracies are introduced, esp. with ADACs that are as precise as 16-bit ones!
Intuitively I would say that the space restrictions of a laptop design would almost inevitably be in direct conflict with the space requirements for such a proper ADAC design, but then, perhaps Apple's engineers have found a way to make it work really well. Is there anyone (probably a real techie) who has any idea about that?

I'm very curious as to exploring the possibilities this machine offers further, and therefore, anyone's 2 cents are more than welcome! :)

Tnx in advance, and cheerz,
MM

Offline hummat

• Taperssection Member
    • Videos in Progress or Completed
Re: MacBook Pro for sampling and/or audio editing?
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2007, 11:44:58 AM »
Well, your new laptop's audio in will accept an optical cable. 

In terms of software, there is a Mac OS X version of Audacity.  I'm not a big fan of it's interface and have been using something called SoundStudio from Felt Tip.  It'll run you about $80 but there is a pretty healthy trial period.  The next step up from there gives many options from ProTools to Cubase to Logic (apple's offering) and many others. 

Offline bgalizio

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Needs to get out more...
    • http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/spyboychoir
« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2007, 12:39:38 PM »
Wave Editor also looks good (wbrisette uses it):
http://audiofile-engineering.com/wave_editor.php

Offline wbrisette

• Trade Count: (2)
    • Homepage
« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2007, 06:03:15 PM »
Wave Editor also looks good (wbrisette uses it):
http://audiofile-engineering.com/wave_editor.php

And highly recommends it.  ;D

Wayne
Mics: Earthworks SR-77 (MP), QTC-1 (MP)

Editing: QSC RMX2450, MOTU 2408 MK3, Earthworks Sigma 6.2

Offline xargos

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2007, 01:11:10 AM »
I would not worry about whether you are sampling from Mac OS X or from Windows, but personally I wouldn't want to trust the onboard audio too much.  On both Windows and Macintosh platforms I have found that using an external audio interface seems to work better. 

As the MacBook Pro has both USB 2.0 and Firewire ports, there should be quite a few external interfaces to choose from.

I personally swear by Audacity for editing, but it is not a program that everyone is comfortable with.  It isn't as easy to use as many of the commercial programs, but it can do plenty of things well.

Offline mysterymadman

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2007, 06:20:07 AM »
Hi guys,

Tnx for the advice so far!

Firstly: I'll check out the mentioned programs, tnx!

Then, regarding the sampling (after all: that's what I'm most worried about, and what is one of the major keys to getting a good end result), there are a few thingies of importance:
1-At present my personal budget for hardware upgrades is very limited (we just bought a new house, and we have a baby underway, so....:P ), so I'm trying to make do as most as possible with what I have at present, unless I can make very significant improvements for relatively little money (say max. 50 Euros or so).
2-The above pretty much rules out the options of buying high end recording and/or sampling gear, and at present I use a Sony MZ-R50 MD for taping, and unfortunately it doesn't have a digital line out, so (again: at present) for sampling the stuff into the computer, I have to make use of the D/A -> A/D circuitry (hence my desire for using as good an ADAC design as possible, within the bounds of the computers I currently have).
3-When combining the two points above, what it winds down to, is that what I am looking for, is finding a way to be able to either digitally read out the MD data directly, and use that rather than using the ADAC circuitry, or to acquire a low-cost yet very good sound board for sampling the music. Are there any (preferrably) low-cost options for this (like specific MD decks, that feature a digital out and/or USB 2.0 and/or Firewire 400/800 port)?

I hope anyone has an insight into this, and/or the initial question(s) asked about just how well the ADAC circuitry has been designed (esp. since a laptop design is typically optimised towards small size, and we are speaking about a system with lots of parts using VERY high frequencies, so lots of digital chatter on the lines)...

Tnx again, and with any luck, some further answers/questions to the above points will quickly help me on my way. :)

Cheers!
MM

Offline mysterymadman

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #6 on: May 01, 2007, 11:02:58 AM »
Hi again,

I'm currently starting my evaluation process of good OS-X software for audio editing. As a start, I just d/l-ed a trial version of Wave Editor. The aspect that looks very promising to me, is the fact that it uses layers! I am very inclined to also give some of the other mentioned packages a go, if they have significant additional advantages.

What I tend to do most often [in Sony's Soundforge 8] is (a combination of one or more of) the following:
-Sample into the machine.
-Manually and/or by automatic filters get rid of clipping and/or other undesirable loud peaks.
-Real-time looping through a graphic equaliser, allowing adjustments on the fly (very important for me!).
-Easy zoom in/zoom out functionality.
-Normalisation (incl. detecting RMS and peak volumes).
-Soft limiting (I hardly use this, but it can be handy).
-Tweaking the dynamics, etc.
-Using the 'Wave hammer' function.
-Interpolating "off" peaks and valleys.
-Possibility of using additional filters (VST, etc.?).

Is there any Mac user here who can give a good recommendation (as a reply here, or by PM) as to which of the programs would come closest to offering such functionality?

Tnx again, and cheers!
MM

PS: From what I've seen, Wave Editor looks very nice, but I have yet to get really into it.  8)

Offline Sebastian

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #7 on: May 01, 2007, 11:24:29 AM »
Anyone ever tried Ardour?

Offline nic

• Big In Japan
  • Trade Count: (1)
    • half dead batteries
« Reply #8 on: May 01, 2007, 11:59:00 AM »
Anyone ever tried Ardour?

isnt Ardour Linux only?
I guess it could work via Fink/Darwin Ports though....but then you would have to use X11.

mysterymadman,
it looks like would need something along of the lines of Logic, Cubase, DP, etc
Cubase (LE) would probably be the best option considering the budget needs you stated as you can often get it free with various external interfaces (like M-Audio, Presonus, etc) BUT, I dont know if it is "universal" yet.

the water's clean and innocent

Offline Sebastian

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #9 on: May 01, 2007, 12:03:59 PM »
isnt Ardour Linux only?

They have a Universal package for download, so I guess there's an OS X port.

Offline nic

• Big In Japan
    • half dead batteries
« Reply #10 on: May 01, 2007, 12:14:17 PM »
isnt Ardour Linux only?

They have a Universal package for download, so I guess there's an OS X port.

cool...I hadnt looked at Ardour in years.
may have to try it out on my Powerbook.

Offline Sebastian

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #11 on: May 01, 2007, 01:40:31 PM »
cool...I hadnt looked at Ardour in years.
may have to try it out on my Powerbook.

Let me know what you think.

Offline wbrisette

• Homepage
« Reply #12 on: May 01, 2007, 02:31:58 PM »
What I tend to do most often [in Sony's Soundforge 8] is (a combination of one or more of) the following:

As related to Wave Editor, I'll take these one at a time.

-Sample into the machine. [yes, this is pretty much a no-brainer]

-Manually and/or by automatic filters get rid of clipping and/or other undesirable loud peaks. [Hmmmm, I don't ever think I've seen anything that gets "rid" of clippiing. You can use various limiters and such to make them less annoying, but you don't ever fully get rid of a signal you've clipped.]

-Real-time looping through a graphic equaliser, allowing adjustments on the fly (very important for me!). [you can setup loops, but I'll have to see if there are any built-in EQ functions. I use Waves plug-ins, so I never have issues with EQ, but these weren't free.]

-Easy zoom in/zoom out functionality. [This is one of the things that sold me on W.E. over Bias' Peak which I had been using. It quite simply is one of the fastest products I have ever used in zooming in and out.]

-Normalisation (incl. detecting RMS and peak volumes). 
-Soft limiting (I hardly use this, but it can be handy).
-Tweaking the dynamics, etc.  [I'll group all three of these since again, I'm unsure of what the basic options are for W.E. since I use Wave's products for all of these features. You can turn on the setting to view the automatic RMS or Peak volumes. Is that what you meant?]

-Using the 'Wave hammer' function. [WTF is this??? I've never heard of wave hammer.???]

-Interpolating "off" peaks and valleys.
-Possibility of using additional filters (VST, etc.?). [I'll group these since both can be done by W.E.]

In all honesty, most of the larger applications (Peak, Wave Editor, Logic, DP, etc.) can do this, it's all a matter of money. As far as bang for your buck, I think W.E. wins. I own all four of the applications I mentioned, and neither Peak or Logic will ever get updated again. Digital Performer does everything I need when dealing with multi-track files, and Wave Editor has become my tool of choice when it comes to two channel editing. They have a new release coming out soon which they claim will fix a few of my complaints and allow you to burn a playlist from within W.E., so you can build everything you need in one application. I really like that option. They also will support DDP in the next release, so if you ever need to send your stuff to a mastering house, you can use W.E. and not have to resort to Peak with the extra $300 DDP option.

Anyhow, having used several of the sound editing packages out there, I would say most will fit your needs. Each has their own way of handling things, so your work flow might have to change a bit, but overall I think any of them will suit your needs.

Wayne

Offline nic

• Big In Japan
    • half dead batteries
« Reply #13 on: May 01, 2007, 02:47:26 PM »
wayne, 'wavehammer' is the built in SoundForge compressor.

Peak will not be updated?
I thought I heard that Logic was being rewritten/rebranded...

Offline wbrisette

• Homepage
« Reply #14 on: May 01, 2007, 02:58:42 PM »
wayne, 'wavehammer' is the built in SoundForge compressor.

Peak will not be updated?
I thought I heard that Logic was being rewritten/rebranded...

Peak will be updated, I just won't be updating it again. I think W.E. is that much better than Peak and it is less expensive.

I hadn't heard that about Logic. But really it hasn't been the same since Apple took it over.

Wayne

Offline mysterymadman

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #15 on: May 02, 2007, 04:12:31 AM »
Hi again,

Firstly: tnx everybody for the additional advice; it is very much appreciated!

Secondly: Nic, I read your signature line, and you may find the show I'm currently editing interesting, as it is a Depeche Mode show (Ahoy, Rotterdam, March 26th 2006) which I taped last year, and which I'm re-mastering now, due to gross errors made previously (before spreading it, luckily).

Then, I'll react to some of Wbrisette's answers/comments/questions:

>-Manually and/or by automatic filters get rid of clipping and/or other undesirable loud peaks. [Hmmmm, I don't ever think I've seen anything
>that gets "rid" of clippiing. You can use various limiters and such to make them less annoying, but you don't ever fully get rid of a signal you've
>clipped.
]

Indeed. Basically what I meant is something like e.g. Sony's "vinyl restoration" filter, which can successfully get rid of many pops and clicks quite well. Also, indeed you are right, there are some tools that can detect clipping (configurable in terms of the duration of the clipping, etc.), and some can automatically react on found clippings (probably by soft limiting), but indeed I too find that they tend to introduce a kind of "beep" like sound. Not nice. When that happens, I tend to revert to the original, and manually restore the (obviously) distorted waveform, which is not difficult, but which does take a lot of time. For this, I was hoping that perhaps there are more intelligent (i.e. better) tools, that can successfully detect clippings and repair them. It is my opinion that this needn't be all too difficult to achieve: simply detect excessive zero-crossings and or 0dB peaks within short time intervals, and interpolate those out to the level of the surrounding areas... Yet, I haven't found any tool that does this without introducing "beeps" or other undesired sounds, so perhaps it is difficult after all?!?

>-Real-time looping through a graphic equaliser, allowing adjustments on the fly (very important for me!). [you can setup loops, but I'll have to
>see if there are any built-in EQ functions. I use Waves plug-ins, so I never have issues with EQ, but these weren't free.
]

This is a crucial feature for me, so I'll elaborate.  8)
The trial version includes the Apple "Audio Units", which includes 16 of the most common and useful filters/tools one could desire, including a graphic equaliser (using a 10-bands and 31-bands setting). Now, in Sound Forge, what I tend to do to get the balance between the low and high frequencies (and sometimes other frequencies as well) correct, is to find some of the parts in the recording in which I think this balance is most off, then hook up the laptop to the stereo (using the DAT direct line in, hence NOT using the stereo's equaliser), select a loop on the first of those sections, play it various times through the graphic equaliser without doing anything, listening closely to what is off, and then I gradually change the levers while it loops. Once the first section sounds right, I save the settings, and do not yet apply the filter on that section. Instead, I then move on to the next section and try it first without eq., then I try it with the previously worked out eq. settings, then I finetune it for that section, and try it also on the previous section. This process is then repeated on maybe 1, 2 or 3 more sections, until it is finetuned to my likings. Then I apply the eq. once to the entire recording, and then I have a listen to the entire show. I know this is time consuming, but I am very much a 'perfectionist' in this respect. Of course other people would have chosen other eq. settings, or perhaps none at all, but I will aim towards getting an end results that sounds as well as possible, and which as closely as possible resembles the sound as it was during the show. As an example, the Iron Maiden show of last year was way too bass-heavy from where we were standing. I corrected that, such that the balance was much more pleasing, but left a slightly bass-heavy end result.
For me, the final choice for a good software package very much depends on how well it handles this (which is the main reason why I stopped using Audacity, and moved to Sound Forge, which is excellent in this respect).
Now, from what I've seen in WE, it can put the eq. on a separate layer (very cool!), but I'm not seeing a "total output gain" correction switch. It appears this has to be done on the "processor" window, which would be no problem. Now, what I'm hoping it can do (and which is what I'll try later (today?)), is:
-Apply the filter to a separate layer (possible).
-Play only a loop on the "primary layer" (possible).
-Play the same loop on both layers (i.e. incl. eq. settings), and do so taking the tweaking of the eq. settings into account in real-time, without first having to apply the filter and then listening, etc.
-Whilst doing this, checking the volume levels of the output as it would be after applying the eq.
-Adjusting the total output gain such, that it compensates for boosted (or reduced dB levels), and hence prevents clipping or muffling of the total recording.

If WE does all of this, then it'll most certainly be a winner for me, and then I most likely don't even have to try other packages.  ;D

>-Easy zoom in/zoom out functionality. [This is one of the things that sold me on W.E. over Bias' Peak which I had been using. It quite simply is
>one of the fastest products I have ever used in zooming in and out.
]

Yes, this is another seemingly unimportant, yet crucial (for me) feature. Fast zooming is very nice, as I inspect the waves from up-close a LOT. Glad to hear WE handles this very well: a big plus!   :laugh:

>-Normalisation (incl. detecting RMS and peak volumes). 
>-Soft limiting (I hardly use this, but it can be handy).
>-Tweaking the dynamics, etc.  [I'll group all three of these since again, I'm unsure of what the basic options are for W.E. since I use Wave's
>products for all of these features. You can turn on the setting to view the automatic RMS or Peak volumes. Is that what you meant?
]

Though I haven't checked the "audio units" in detail, I think all of the above is present in the standard set of audio units that comes with the trial version. I'll give them a go.

>-Using the 'Wave hammer' function. [WTF is this??? I've never heard of wave hammer.???]

This is a Sound Forge tool which is very, very handy: it allows you to reduce loud parts of a recording by normalising and/or soft limiting (both can be chosen independently, as well as in combination with one another), and both steps can be configured in terms of dB thresholds and how much limiting to apply, as well as the final amount of dBs to limit/compress up to. It is another of SF's features that got me hooked to it, as it can easily be used to brilliantly reduce loud parts in a very easy way, and again (as for the eq. filter), it can do so in real-time on a selected loop. A very, very handy tool, and I'd *love* to see something like this in WE (or a different product too), as it very nicely combines several of the logical steps for reducing loud parts like audience outbursts seamlessly (when done properly, of course).

>-Interpolating "off" peaks and valleys.
>-Possibility of using additional filters (VST, etc.?). [I'll group these since both can be done by W.E.]

Excellent!
For the former, I am slightly dissappointed that in SF there isn't (or rather: there doesn't seem to be) a more automated filter, where one can select a part of a wave that contains an obviously off peak, and then can automatically have SF recognise it and redraw (or interpolate) it properly. I gather that Audacity does offer this, and I hope WE has something like that too, as this is another of those features that could save loads of manual editing time.

>In all honesty, most of the larger applications (Peak, Wave Editor, Logic, DP, etc.) can do this, it's all a matter of money.

...and ease of use.  ;D

>As far as bang for your buck, I think W.E. wins. I own all four of the applications I mentioned, and neither Peak or Logic will ever get updated again. Digital
>Performer does everything I need when dealing with multi-track files, and Wave Editor has become my tool of choice when it comes to two channel editing.

There it is. Excellent. That's the exact type of verdict I was looking for, tnx!
I'll do my best to give all of them a go in trial versions, and will keep in mind that WE will most likely come closest to what I want to do (i.e. 2 channel editing), so that one will get the main focus for now.

Cheers, and tnx once more!
MM  8)
« Last Edit: May 02, 2007, 04:40:25 AM by mysterymadman »

Offline wbrisette

• Homepage
« Reply #16 on: May 02, 2007, 07:07:58 AM »
Indeed. Basically what I meant is something like e.g. Sony's "vinyl restoration" filter, which can successfully get rid of many pops and clicks quite well.

I'm not aware of any tools that do this well. You're better off trying to manually do this. The problem is the better compressors and limiters are not free, so you would end up having to supplement WE or Peak's AU tools (these are identical because they are part of Apple's toolset).

This is a crucial feature for me, so I'll elaborate.  8)
The trial version includes the Apple "Audio Units", which includes 16 of the most common and useful filters/tools one could desire, including a graphic equaliser (using a 10-bands and 31-bands setting).

That EQ is part of the standard package and you can save those setttings, so either Peak or WE will work for you in that regard. The nice thing is you can have as many layers in WE as you need, so each song can have its own layer, thus you can setup the EQ differently for each song. As far as boosting the volume you can do this with the normalize processor that is built-in to WE. I don't use this because I use the Wave L2 plug-in.

>-Using the 'Wave hammer' function. [WTF is this??? I've never heard of wave hammer.???]

This is a Sound Forge tool which is very, very handy: it allows you to reduce loud parts of a recording by normalising and/or soft limiting (both can be chosen independently, as well as in combination with one another), and both steps can be configured in terms of dB thresholds and how much limiting to apply, as well as the final amount of dBs to limit/compress up to.

I don't know of another tool that does this automatically. Anybody else?

Also I wanted to clarify one point. I did in another post, but just to make sure it's understood. Both Peak and Logic will continue to be updated by their respective companies, but I'm not going to spend my money updating to the new versions when they come out. I think more than a few people misunderstood what I was trying to say and upon re-reading my post, I can see why.  ;)

Good luck.

Wayne

Offline Sebastian

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #17 on: May 02, 2007, 07:20:05 AM »
What's everyone's experience with files over 2GB?

Offline wbrisette

• Homepage
« Reply #18 on: May 02, 2007, 08:17:09 AM »
What's everyone's experience with files over 2GB?

Because this is a limitation of the RIFF format (if you search here, you'll find the full story), most applications don't handle them very well. One's that use a proprietary format can overcome this, but until Apple's CAF format is widely used, it's going to be an issue.

Wayne

Offline Sebastian

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #19 on: May 02, 2007, 09:11:41 AM »
Thanks. I was just thinking that some programs might support such big files like the current Windows programs do (WaveLab 6, etc).

Offline wbrisette

• Homepage
« Reply #20 on: May 02, 2007, 09:32:04 AM »
Thanks. I was just thinking that some programs might support such big files like the current Windows programs do (WaveLab 6, etc).

WaveLab uses a proprietary format, and won't save out those files as standard WAV or AIFF files. WE will open them and allow you save them out into the WE proprietary format or CAF, then you do what you want with them since they are now 32-floating point format files. An older application for the Mac called Spark pretty much ignored the rules (they basically fixed the RIFF problem on their end) and several people still use it. However, it has been discontinued for a while now and the Mac OS X port wasn't very intuitive... well for that matter I didn't find any version of the product that intuitive. It had a very strange non-Mac OS feel to it. Very much the way early versions of Logic felt to me.

So, you can work with 2GB or larger files, but you can't save those out in standard WAV or AIFF format in most Mac OS audio applications. Some applications like Digital Performer will write out 2+ GB files when you bounce multi-channel files, so you have to be careful that your 2 channel application supports them, or simply break up the multi-channel file so that you have two smaller parts. Which when put back together is seamless.

Wayne

Offline Sebastian

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #21 on: May 02, 2007, 11:49:19 AM »
WaveLab uses a proprietary format

Thanks, I didn't know that. Somehow I always thought it would just ignore the limit and produced otherwise standard-compliant WAV files...

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.098 seconds with 50 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com