Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Stronger T-bar extension for spaced omni's - boundary mounted DPA's  (Read 10855 times)

Online Gutbucket

• record > listen > revise technique
  • Trade Count: (16)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • "Better to love music than respect it" ~Stravinsky
Re: Stronger T-bar extension for spaced omni's - boundary mounted DPA's
« Reply #45 on: March 30, 2018, 12:38:52 PM »
Nice, that's pretty wide. Probably a TS record from a single stand.  I can get a bit over 6' with the TV antennas but usually tape it so the smallest several segments remain retracted since they are toothpick thin and end up closer to 5' or so - it's not a weight support issue with the 4060s as much as protecting the antennas themselves from accidental damage.

I wonder if there is some treatment which could blacken those shiny tubes.  Can't be a coating which would immediately scuff off or jam the telescoping action.  Would have to be a chemical or heat process or something (I used to heat-treat bright stainless parts to achieve a dark gold tone years ago in my sculptural metal fab days), but not anything which would damage or destroy the thing.

Although beyond the scope of your project, I've also long wanted to figure a way of running wiring internally through the telescopic arms for the ultimate telescopic arm setup. Would need to be a very fine spiral wire to fit and to slinky in and out sufficiently without jamming or stretching the wire.  A fine Litz wire coiled pair probably.  The metal tube could serve as 100% coverage shield.
musical volition > vibrations > voltages > numeric values > voltages > vibrations> virtual teleportation time-machine experience
Better recording made easy - >>Improved PAS table<< | Made excellent- >>click here to download the Oddball Microphone Technique illustrated PDF booklet<< (note: This is a 1st draft, now several years old and in need of revision!  Stay tuned)

mfrench

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #46 on: March 30, 2018, 12:50:56 PM »
I will normally use this with my other T-Bar, which reaches to around 37cm in total width.  I've typically velcroed my rabbit ears to the t.bar, which spreads the load out over that 37cm.
The clamp presents a hinge point, at the joing point of the spreaders; it also did this with the rabbit ears.
By spreading the load across the directional stereo bar, it solidly spreads out the load, and takes away the hinge point sag.

For now, i get to go play with my new scuffle hoe (triangular horizontal cutting blade to run a fraction of an inch below soil). I get to go cut a forest of wild/feral mustard plants that are trying to flower.

Offline heathen

• Trade Count: (23)
« Reply #47 on: March 30, 2018, 01:06:00 PM »
I wonder if there is some treatment which could blacken those shiny tubes. 
Maybe a very small sleeve of some black fabric that will scrunch up when the arms are collapsed?  As a bonus, one could probably run cables inside the sleeve.
« Last Edit: March 30, 2018, 01:26:21 PM by heathen »
Mics: AT4050ST | AT4031 | AT853 (C/SC) | Line Audio CM3 | Sennheiser e614 | Sennheiser MKE2 | DPA 4061 Pre: CA9200 Decks: Zoom F8 | Roland R-05

Offline capnhook

• All your llamas are belong to us....
  • Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (20)
  • All your llamas are belong to us....
« Reply #48 on: March 30, 2018, 01:14:23 PM »
As a bonus, once could probably run cables inside the sleeve.

Bet you could string CAFS omnis through the tubes.

No weight at all, +T
Proud member of the reality-based community

BSCS-L->JB-mod [NAK CM-300 (CP-3) and/or (CP-1)]->LSD2->CA CAFS-Omni->Sony ECM-907**Apogee MiniMe Rev. C->CA Ugly II->**Edirol OCM R-44->Tascam DR-22WL->Sony TCD-D8

"Don't ever take an all or nothing attitude when it comes to making a difference
and being beautiful and making the world a beautiful place through your actions.
Every little bit is registered.  Every little bit.  So be as beautiful as you can as often as you can"

"It'll never be over, 'till we learn."

"My dream is to get a bus and get the band and just go coast to coast. Just about everything else except music, is anti-musical.  That's it.  Music's the thing." - Jeb Puryear

mfrench

« Reply #49 on: March 30, 2018, 02:32:53 PM »
Cables inside would present possible pinch/bind points.  Those only reveal themselves at home, in controlled testing [/sarcasm].
But, in reality, they only finish the outsides. Who knows what the inside would be?
In my drilling out of the mounting flange for the added thread set, that base flange is fully at least an inch deep+. I quit drilling before I drilled through it.

mfrench

« Reply #50 on: March 30, 2018, 03:26:50 PM »
I sort of forgot where we started here.
With the balls.

4818:
This is how I normally rigged with the rabbit ears.  I spread them across my stereo bar, and velcroed them in tight.
These balls absolutely reject the gaffers tape. Gotta figure something out a bit more permanent.

4819/20:
Old worn out fishing waders get a new life as spreader bar, and t-bar storage
« Last Edit: March 30, 2018, 03:29:39 PM by Moke »

Online Gutbucket

« Reply #51 on: March 30, 2018, 03:37:52 PM »
The inside-the-telescopic-arms cable routing thing is mostly just a long-held fantasy setup of mine.  I've thought it through and don't see it as an easily achieved thing with my current TV antennas, but may pursue it if I eventually work up a carbon-fiber tube version, which would probably only have one or two telescopic sections per side instead of multiple sections.  For me, keeping everything pre-wired, the arms really only need to retract to a slightly shorter length than the stand to which they are attached collapses down to, and/or the most compact spread I plan to use once deployed.

It's conceptually doable as that's how many internally-wired overhead mic booms work, if on a larger scale with bigger tubes.

I wonder if there is some treatment which could blacken those shiny tubes. 
Maybe a very small sleeve of some black fabric that will scrunch up when the arms are collapsed?  As a bonus, one could probably run cables inside the sleeve.

That works.  Telescopic range is limited, but the wiring is well protected.. and it looks cool.  Photos of my Bear Creek setup used for way FOB and stage-lip recording in the "excitement zone", where I needed to be ready to yank and run if necessary, using Tex-flex expanding cable sheaving- http://taperssection.com/index.php?topic=96009.msg1713305#msg1713305

\

^ The shorter front-back antennae (non telescoping in the above configuration) were later shortened and support 4098 supercards instead of 4060s.

« Last Edit: March 30, 2018, 03:39:31 PM by Gutbucket »
musical volition > vibrations > voltages > numeric values > voltages > vibrations> virtual teleportation time-machine experience
Better recording made easy - >>Improved PAS table<< | Made excellent- >>click here to download the Oddball Microphone Technique illustrated PDF booklet<< (note: This is a 1st draft, now several years old and in need of revision!  Stay tuned)

Online Gutbucket

« Reply #52 on: March 30, 2018, 03:52:09 PM »
These balls absolutely reject the gaffers tape. Gotta figure something out a bit more permanent.

You might stick some more aggressive tape to the ball which adheres well to it, then stick the less-aggressive gaff-tape to that.  Or, if you spray paint the balls with fabric paint, gaff may stick better to that surface.

Old worn out fishing waders get a new life as spreader bar, and t-bar storage

Totally dig your neoprene wader-bags.  I use the ones I got from you along with the Gefells years ago all the time to transport my larger mics.  Excellent well-padded protection!  You could easily market those things if you chose to.  Get some barefoot hippie chicks surfing below the cliff-home shrine of Jack O'Neill in Santa Cruz to sew 'em up for you.  Charge a premium for the shark-tooth distressed look.

mfrench

« Reply #53 on: March 30, 2018, 04:26:33 PM »
regarding the tape ism..
My mind keeps grinding on something like a bobby pin, or, light wire j-hook that can be pushed into the ball, and capture/hook the cable, and hold it that way.
I'm also looking at using the brass precision tubing as a core cutter, and cutting tunnels through the balls to route the mics through.
projects for another day.

Online Gutbucket

« Reply #54 on: March 30, 2018, 04:46:39 PM »
That might work.  Similarly I use fat-headed sewing pins to affix hemispheric windscreens to the balls when needed. 

The screens are cut-down cheapo generic ball-mic foam screens sized for Shure SM-58 standard mesh-ball-head mics, which are the same diameter as my Nerf balls.  I cut-off the cuff-end of the windscreen which normally extends down the hand-held part of the mic somewhat, leaving just the hemispheric end, which covers half the Nerf ball to its equator perfectly, and secure it in place with three of four pins pushed through the screen around it's circumference into the hard-foam ball.   The omnis seem to become slightly more wind sensitive upon mounting on/in the balls, yet still not nearly as much so as directional mics.  Really only needed aloft outside in a breeze. 

mfrench

« Reply #55 on: March 30, 2018, 04:53:05 PM »
Neoprene pouches of all kinds! [chuckles]
I need to get out there and wear out another set.  I started wearing knee pads when I went fishing, as the wader knees always get pin holes. So, that slowed my needs down considerably; and i also got a bunch of shit about it, but, felt vindicated as I saw more and more people buying less and less waders on a particular Utah Fly Fishing discussion group. But, for a long time they had me nailed down as that tutu and knee pad wearing hippy fly flicker from cal.

mfrench

« Reply #56 on: April 03, 2018, 10:08:54 PM »
OK,.. I took a piece of precision brass tubing, and ground a couple of horns at the end. I filed them into cutting edges, and chucked them into my drill.
I drilled three sets of holes. One set was at something near straight forward 0º. The other set were drilled parallel to the spreader, and emerged at the outer edge of the balls at 90º/270º.
One set of holes was to mount the balls to the spreader bar. I used the same diameter brass tubing that the eraser clips are mounted to, andd drilled those into the balls.
And the next tubing size smaller is a perfect fit for the 4060's. The easily slide through the tubes.

4824: DIY core cutter
4827: 90º end mount with mic in place
4829: main mounting tube, and, mic routing tube to 90º side mount
4833: 0º routing
4834/35: 0º forward mounting and routing
« Last Edit: April 03, 2018, 10:10:46 PM by Moke »

Offline Limit35

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #57 on: April 04, 2018, 01:22:10 AM »
Nice, that's pretty wide. Probably a TS record from a single stand.  I can get a bit over 6' with the TV antennas but usually tape it so the smallest several segments remain retracted since they are toothpick thin and end up closer to 5' or so - it's not a weight support issue with the 4060s as much as protecting the antennas themselves from accidental damage.

I wonder if there is some treatment which could blacken those shiny tubes.  Can't be a coating which would immediately scuff off or jam the telescoping action.  Would have to be a chemical or heat process or something (I used to heat-treat bright stainless parts to achieve a dark gold tone years ago in my sculptural metal fab days), but not anything which would damage or destroy the thing.

Although beyond the scope of your project, I've also long wanted to figure a way of running wiring internally through the telescopic arms for the ultimate telescopic arm setup. Would need to be a very fine spiral wire to fit and to slinky in and out sufficiently without jamming or stretching the wire.  A fine Litz wire coiled pair probably.  The metal tube could serve as 100% coverage shield.

I have been thinking about this for quite awhile except one item above I haven't, but now it makes so much sense. I have built and rebuilt tent poles and thought this is where I need to go beyond extendable antennas. They are uniformly consistent in thickness and can be made to any size, one just cuts them and adds the end connectors.  There would be minimal sag in this system, which would look cooler if that means anything, and no rotation which I have had in the heat. Here's what I never thought about. The diameter of the pole compared to the diameter of the cord would easily allow the mic cable to be run through the tent poles. Obviously, mic cable cannot bend like the cord but one could run excess cable so there is a nice curve at the break points when one is packing/storing the rig. I use Naiant mics so dedicating a through pole mic and cable wouldn't be a big deal. The end connector would need to be cut and resoldered due to the inability to thread it through poles.

Depending on the poles, i.e. high quality tent poles, one could get a good spread with small omnis. It seems fussy, but for an easy 2-3m spread it seems like a possibility.

Online Gutbucket

« Reply #58 on: April 04, 2018, 09:14:01 AM »
Tent poles work well.   Good size, stiffness and disassemble-abilily.  I no longer run a second rig at fests, but a few times I made up a quick clamp-rig from a Windtech clamp, a discarded three section shock-corded tent pole, a spare pair of mics and recorder - pulled from a discarded tent and random stuff I had on hand back at camp.

I'd not worry about the internal cable routing unless/until you decide you want to run whatever setup you settle upon regularly.  If you do, I'd use tech-flex or some other cable sheath to protect the cable at the bends, maybe in a double layer.

Running cables along the outside of sectional (non-telescopic) poles I found it easiest to first attach the mics to each end, then hold the pole up in the air horizontally from its center, letting the cables dangle freely with its connector end(s) held together, then rotate the pole around its own axis (twist it) to spiral the cable around it.  The cable should spiral nicely and evenly inward from the mics in towards the center from each side.  Do the opposite to disassemble the mics from the pole.

^Nice.  Good flushness with minimal gap and just the grid extending.

Offline rocksuitcase

• Trade Count: (4)
    • RockSuitcase: stage photography
« Reply #59 on: April 04, 2018, 09:27:29 AM »
OK,.. I took a piece of precision brass tubing, and ground a couple of horns at the end. I filed them into cutting edges, and chucked them into my drill.
I drilled three sets of holes. One set was at something near straight forward 0º. The other set were drilled parallel to the spreader, and emerged at the outer edge of the balls at 90º/270º.
One set of holes was to mount the balls to the spreader bar. I used the same diameter brass tubing that the eraser clips are mounted to, andd drilled those into the balls.
And the next tubing size smaller is a perfect fit for the 4060's. The easily slide through the tubes.
+T     super good work on that mic mount in the ball.
music IS love

When you get confused, listen to the music play!

Mics:         AKG460|CK61|CK1|CK3|CK8|Beyer M 201E|DPA 4060 SK
Recorders:Marantz PMD661 OADE Concert mod; Tascam DR680 MKI x2; Sony PCM-M10

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.092 seconds with 43 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com