Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Fried AT853 (from changing capsules or static electricity?)  (Read 2823 times)

Offline poorlyconditioned

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • I'm a tapir!
Fried AT853 (from changing capsules or static electricity?)
« on: December 02, 2004, 01:53:54 AM »
I may have fried my AT853's.  I swapped capsules on them while they had power on them.  (Battery power, but power nonetheless).  After this I noticed *way* reduced sensitivity, like 20dB less.  They are barely working.   One stopped first, then the other stopped working.

I don't think my powering changed.  And they've still got approx. 150uA flowing through them.  It just seems like the FET is not amplifying anymore.  By the way, I'm running these with three wires, +9V to red, ground to shield, and a 27kR resistor between yellow and ground.  I take the audio signal off the yellow wire.  OK, there was some debate as to correct wiring, but everything was *fine* until I started messing the capsules.

So, does anyone know if it possible to screw these mics up, either by static electricity, changing capsules (while powered) or just plain stupidity?  I loved these mics too.  Now I'm really bummed out!

Richard
Mics: Sennheiser MKE2002 (dummy head), Studio Projects C4, AT825 (unmodded), AT822 franken mic (x2), AT853(hc,c,sc,o), Senn. MKE2, Senn MKE40, Shure MX183/5, CA Cards, homebrew Panasonic and Transsound capsules.
Pre/ADC: Presonus Firepod & Firebox, DMIC20(x2), UA5(poorly-modded, AD8620+AD8512opamps), VX440
Recorders: Edirol R4, R09, IBM X24 laptop, NJB3(x2), HiMD(x2), MD(1).
** This individual has moved to user "illconditioned" **

• Taperssection All-Star
  • I'm a tapir!
Re: Fried AT853 (from changing capsules or static electricity?)
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2004, 02:56:19 PM »
OK, the problem is solved!  I bought these mics from SoundProfessionals.  It turns out they were ES943 bodies + adapter + AT853 capsules.  There is a tiny spring tab on the ES943 part, between the ES943 and the adaptor.   I pulled it out a bit.  Now they're working.  Phew.  What a relief!  I didn't notice the bodies were ES943 since these were built into a set of headphones.

OK, does anyone know if the ES943 bodies are any good.  I suspect the AT853 FETs might have lower noise.  The connectors seem more robust too. :)  I guess the ES943 have the advantage that you can put smaller caps on them.  They are *really* small.  But the size doesn't bother me much.

Richard
Mics: Sennheiser MKE2002 (dummy head), Studio Projects C4, AT825 (unmodded), AT822 franken mic (x2), AT853(hc,c,sc,o), Senn. MKE2, Senn MKE40, Shure MX183/5, CA Cards, homebrew Panasonic and Transsound capsules.
Pre/ADC: Presonus Firepod & Firebox, DMIC20(x2), UA5(poorly-modded, AD8620+AD8512opamps), VX440

Offline Sanjay

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • www.drivebytruckers.com/tourdiary.html
« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2004, 03:06:28 PM »
OK, the problem is solved!  I bought these mics from SoundProfessionals.  It turns out they were ES943 bodies + adapter + AT853 capsules.  There is a tiny spring tab on the ES943 part, between the ES943 and the adaptor.   I pulled it out a bit.  Now they're working.  Phew.  What a relief!  I didn't notice the bodies were ES943 since these were built into a set of headphones.

OK, does anyone know if the ES943 bodies are any good.  I suspect the AT853 FETs might have lower noise.  The connectors seem more robust too. :)  I guess the ES943 have the advantage that you can put smaller caps on them.  They are *really* small.  But the size doesn't bother me much.

Richard

hey, the 943's are the newer version of the 933's which many people have had great results with.  I personally like the sound of them better than the 853's.  What model sound professionals do you have I might be interested in picking up a pair of these.  Thanks!
mics & cameras

• Taperssection All-Star
  • I'm a tapir!
« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2004, 04:55:36 PM »

Richard

hey, the 943's are the newer version of the 933's which many people have had great results with.  I personally like the sound of them better than the 853's.  What model sound professionals do you have I might be interested in picking up a pair of these.  Thanks!

SoundProfessionals just told me they've sold out of AT853's.  Apparantly the "Unipoint" line is being redesigned completely.  If you want my take on it, they're probably moving production from Japan to China.  Oh well.  I guess I'll be combing the Yardsale!

So I think your only options are getting ES943 bodies.  You can either run AT853 caps, with an adapter, or run ES943 caps.  My guess is that the AT853 caps will sound better, but I have not tried them.  The ES943 are *much* smaller though.

Richard

Offline ashevillain

• Trade Count: (25)
« Reply #4 on: December 02, 2004, 05:06:54 PM »
SoundProfessionals just told me they've sold out of AT853's. 

this place has them....cheaper too I bet...
http://www.alphasoundandlighting.com/microphones.html

Offline pfife

• Emperor of Ticketucky
  • I love/hate tickets.
« Reply #5 on: December 02, 2004, 05:08:12 PM »

I got my mics from fullcompass - $157 each.  That place above has cheap caps (hopefully, still) - $28/cap.

Tickets are dead to me.  Except the ones I have, don't have, and lost.  Not to mention the ones you have, don't have, and lost.   And the ones that other dude has, doesn't have, and lost.  Let me know if you need some tickets, I'm happy to oblige. 

Tickets >>>>>>>> Oxygen

• Taperssection All-Star
  • I'm a tapir!
« Reply #6 on: December 02, 2004, 06:51:50 PM »

That place has them for $145 (phantom only) or $155 (phantom or battery).  I might do this, but I really don't need the power supply.  I (used) to be able to get them at SoundProfessionals for $80-90 apiece (without a power supply).

Richard

Offline jk labs

• Taperssection Regular
  • Straight wire!
    • Mics, pre and ADC...
« Reply #7 on: December 05, 2004, 04:28:14 AM »

Richard

Richard,
are you suspecting that the bigger capsule + FET has lower noise than smaller capsule + FET or are you actually comparing JUST the FETs?

If you do have the bodies side by side with shorted gates I for one would like to know if there is
any difference in the noise level present on the output.

See.. I suspect they are the same ....  ;D     

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.085 seconds with 33 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com