Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: AT943s = AT ES943s = SP-CMC-8s? Help please!  (Read 6016 times)

Offline bmr

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Regular
    • Pearl Jam Bit Torrents
AT943s = AT ES943s = SP-CMC-8s? Help please!
« on: December 03, 2004, 08:14:45 AM »
First, a few links:

Audio Technica Premium Miniature Lapel Microphone (AT943-SP)
Sound Professionals - Premium Audio Technica Slimline Cardioid Stereo Microphones (SP-CMC-8)
Audio Technica ES943/C

I currently have the SP-CMC-6, which are the omnis. I like them, but I'd like to get the cards. I've been told that aside from termination style, the difference between the CMC-6/8s is the same as the AT ES943 Omni/Card difference; that is, the 6 = omni, and the 8 = card, but other than their pattern they're the same mic.

Now, in the first link above, the AT943-SP model is called a "Miniature mono condenser mic." If I purchased two instead of one, and used the PM4 XLR connectors that I currently have attached to my CMC-6s, and ran one into each channel on my UA-5, wouldn't that be the same as my current setup (CMC-6 w/the phantom power kit?) Or is there something internally different with the AT943-SPs that I'm not picking up on? All the specs seem to be the same between the 3 mics in the links up top, with the only real difference being the termination styles. Wouldn't having two of the mono mics, each running into a separate channel on the UA-5 (and out to the JB3) create the regular stereo sound I have with the CMC-6s?

Also, I'm assuming that in the first link, with the wiring options available, I'd select "Standard Mono"? I don't see why I wouldn't, just double checking...

Basically, I'm just trying to figure out if the AT943-SP cards (the first link) are the same mics as the SP-CMC-8s (the second link)...and that since the second link says the CMC-8s are the same as the ES943 cards (the third link), that also means the AT943-SPs are the same as the ES943s.

Please try to forgive my overly verbose phrasing, I just want to try to eliminate as many questions about what I'm asking as I possibly can...since the CMC-8s aren't in stock, and I love my CMC-6s but want another pattern option very soon, I'm trying to find out if the AT943-SPs in the first link would do the exact same job for me.

Thanks to anybody who can help me ease my neurosis...I've been drowning in acronyms for the past couple hours because of this stuff :)

-Brad

Offline Humbug

• Trade Count: (5)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • Humbug Hum Rejection Unit
    • Trading site
Re: AT943s = AT ES943s = SP-CMC-8s? Help please!
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2004, 11:16:49 AM »
I dunno, but I am way pissed off, as I wanted to order some AT853s, and I was waiting till I got paid at the end of last month...bugger  ;D.

Ring 'em up. Dunno if its the right number for technical tho: 800-213-3021
UK based taper: MK4>Nbox Platinum>PCM-M10
AT853C>CA9200 / PIPsqueak>Tascam DR-2D

http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/Humbug66

thierryhenry

« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2004, 11:19:15 AM »
SP-CMC-8's are AT933's I'm pretty sure.

Offline Humbug

• Trade Count: (5)
  • Humbug Hum Rejection Unit
    • Trading site
« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2004, 11:35:51 AM »
They may have been once, but they were replaced by ES943s.
UK based taper: MK4>Nbox Platinum>PCM-M10
AT853C>CA9200 / PIPsqueak>Tascam DR-2D

http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/Humbug66

Offline Sanjay

• Trade Count: (1)
  • www.drivebytruckers.com/tourdiary.html
« Reply #4 on: December 03, 2004, 11:43:29 AM »
if the cmc-6's are the 943's or 933's in omni's why don't you just buy the correct capsule and switch them so you don't have to buy a whole new set of mics.
mics & cameras

Offline mattb

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • Yo.
    • Matt's Page
« Reply #5 on: December 03, 2004, 12:51:01 PM »
if the cmc-6's are the 943's or 933's in omni's why don't you just buy the correct capsule and switch them so you don't have to buy a whole new set of mics.

I think those newer 943's don't have interchangable caps. I have the 933s that I got as the CMC-8's in '98 and they definitely have the interchangable caps (got some hypers and omnis now too). I haven;t seen this first hand but I remember it coming up in another thread a while back.
AT933s (C/H/O) > AT8531s > UA-5 > H120 (Rockboxed)

Offline Sanjay

• Trade Count: (1)
  • www.drivebytruckers.com/tourdiary.html
« Reply #6 on: December 03, 2004, 02:16:36 PM »

I think those newer 943's don't have interchangable caps. I have the 933s that I got as the CMC-8's in '98 and they definitely have the interchangable caps (got some hypers and omnis now too). I haven;t seen this first hand but I remember it coming up in another thread a while back.

True, my CMC-8's (943's) do not have interchangeable caps, bought early this year.

thats no good, a step down for AT IMO I was looking at picking up a set of these, instead i'll be looking for 953's or 933's  The interchangeable cap option is great
mics & cameras

Offline jk labs

• Taperssection Regular
  • Straight wire!
    • Mics, pre and ADC...
« Reply #7 on: December 05, 2004, 04:20:34 AM »

True, my CMC-8's (943's) do not have interchangeable caps, bought early this year.

Is this for real? Any chance we could see a close-up picture of your CMC-8s?

J

Offline Sean Gallemore

• Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #8 on: December 05, 2004, 04:29:07 AM »
yes, you can wire the 6's and 8s for the phantom adapters.

and yes, you can use the 853 caps with your 943s, just need an adapter

silverbullet

« Reply #9 on: December 05, 2004, 07:03:03 AM »

Is this for real? Any chance we could see a close-up picture of your CMC-8s?

J

My camera doesn't do well with closeups but I tried my best.

cmc-8 premium mics from SP. Prett sure these are the ES943

My mics are fixed, not interchangeable. Mounted on a little flexible gooseneck which I mount above and around my ears most of the time but also ideal for taping on bars (taped to walls) and then point the mics in the right direction. I also had SP add the aligator clip mounts in case I wanted to stealth under the collar or something. Great mics. Picks up drums (snare) very well. Perhaps a little to much treble response and not enough bass response typical of cardiod mics. I tape a lot of loud music and these mics have never distorded on me. The can really handle high SPL's. Just make sure you point them in the right direction and have them stationary, not too much movement. I got a lot of milage out of these mics.
« Last Edit: December 05, 2004, 07:09:52 AM by silverbullet »

Offline Weazel

• Taperssection Regular
  • sp-cmc-8-> DIY BB -> Iriver IHP120 (rockbox)
« Reply #10 on: December 05, 2004, 07:28:17 AM »
ok i made a pic of mine. these are 933's i believe.

-[ pop goes the weazel ...]-

silverbullet

« Reply #11 on: December 05, 2004, 08:52:29 AM »
These were one of my first mic purchases back in the days. Not too long ago I may add ::)

I may have requested them fixed at the time. Hard to remember exactly. I didn't know anything about changable mic caps back then. I know I wanted something simple and small at the time.

Weazel, what digital camera do you own? nice closeups

Offline Weazel

• Taperssection Regular
  • sp-cmc-8-> DIY BB -> Iriver IHP120 (rockbox)
« Reply #12 on: December 05, 2004, 10:19:11 AM »
i have a pentax optio s. 3.2 megapixel with the right setting for closeups (tulip icon) its verry sharp yes.
-[ pop goes the weazel ...]-

Offline Brian Skalinder

• Complaint Dept.
  • Trade Count: (28)
« Reply #13 on: December 05, 2004, 11:59:32 AM »
My camera doesn't do well with closeups but I tried my best.

Set your camera to "macro mode" for close-ups.  Your manual should tell you how to do this for your specific camera.
Milab VM-44 Links > Fostex FR-2LE or
Naiant IPA (tinybox format) >
Roland R-05

silverbullet

« Reply #14 on: December 05, 2004, 12:15:07 PM »
thanks for the camera tips. I'll take another look and review the manual. I have a Cannon G2 and I'm sure it has settings for closeup shots.

Offline bmr

• Taperssection Regular
    • Pearl Jam Bit Torrents
« Reply #15 on: December 06, 2004, 09:08:34 AM »
So, apparently, the CMC-6s I have do have removable caps. Of course, I then headed over to soundprofessionals to see if they have any slimline card caps, and they don't. They have omnis in stock and that's it. A cached google search tells me that they once stocked them, but don't anymore.

Would anyone else sell these? They seem like normal AT slimline caps...

I'm taping Iron & Wine tonight with my omnis, but I hope this'll be one of the last shows I have to do with them.

Ray76

« Reply #16 on: December 07, 2004, 03:52:28 PM »
I dunno, but I am way pissed off, as I wanted to order some AT853s, and I was waiting till I got paid at the end of last month...bugger  ;D.

Ring 'em up. Dunno if its the right number for technical tho: 800-213-3021

yeah thats the right number, bud. Got it on speed dial.
Ray

thierryhenry

« Reply #17 on: December 07, 2004, 04:20:05 PM »
ok i made a pic of mine. these are 933's i believe.

Alright these are the mics I have as well, I can't seem to get the caps off though, maybe I am just being a pussy and don't want anything to break, but do yours come off quite easily, or does it take some effort? And were could I get other element caps? I know someone said SP is out of them right now.

Thanks.

Offline ashevillain

• Trade Count: (25)
« Reply #18 on: December 07, 2004, 05:02:13 PM »
Alright these are the mics I have as well, I can't seem to get the caps off though, maybe I am just being a pussy and don't want anything to break, but do yours come off quite easily, or does it take some effort? And were could I get other element caps?

If they don't unscrew with minimal effort then someone has screwed them on way too tight!!!

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.085 seconds with 43 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com