Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Sticky situation  (Read 2697 times)

Offline poppag76

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Taperssection Member
Sticky situation
« on: December 14, 2005, 01:58:55 PM »
Ok.  I have a problem that needs fixing.  I just bought a new rig and tickets to a new years show.  I wasn't going to use the new rig, just do a simple board because I figured the band got me in once before, I can get in the crows nest a second time.  Well, turns out no deal.  No board taping for this show.  And the venue, the Windjammer in Isle of Palms, is not a very taper friendly venue, and I mean the bar is covering the back of the venue and there is very little space between the stage and the bar, about 20 feet maybe 25.  So there is no FOB or even to the right or left.  Stealthing is sort of out of the question because #1, no money to buy stealthing and #2, even if I did, it just isn't enough time to get it all together with the holidays nearing. 

So, to the point, I am trying to decide if i should bring my rig and invest in some clamps to try and clamp to a ceiling or something nearby.  And I have seen pictures of those clamping rigs but can't seem to find anthing online that fits.  If anyone has been to the Windjammer, that would be helpful, because then at least I could talk about it a little better.  There are unfortunately no pics of the inside on the website.  Any advice  would be helpful and any links to sites for buying good clamps and anything else needed for some ceiling taping.

Thanks everyone.
Berliner CM33->USBPre2->HD-P2(busman modded)

Offline poorlyconditioned

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • I'm a tapir!
Re: Sticky situation
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2005, 08:06:47 PM »
Ok.  I have a problem that needs fixing.  I just bought a new rig and tickets to a new years show.  I wasn't going to use the new rig, just do a simple board because I figured the band got me in once before, I can get in the crows nest a second time.  Well, turns out no deal.  No board taping for this show.  And the venue, the Windjammer in Isle of Palms, is not a very taper friendly venue, and I mean the bar is covering the back of the venue and there is very little space between the stage and the bar, about 20 feet maybe 25.  So there is no FOB or even to the right or left.  Stealthing is sort of out of the question because #1, no money to buy stealthing and #2, even if I did, it just isn't enough time to get it all together with the holidays nearing. 

So, to the point, I am trying to decide if i should bring my rig and invest in some clamps to try and clamp to a ceiling or something nearby.  And I have seen pictures of those clamping rigs but can't seem to find anthing online that fits.  If anyone has been to the Windjammer, that would be helpful, because then at least I could talk about it a little better.  There are unfortunately no pics of the inside on the website.  Any advice  would be helpful and any links to sites for buying good clamps and anything else needed for some ceiling taping.

Thanks everyone.

Clamps all the way.  Most places will have something you can clamp to (a pipe, lighting truss, or whatever).  The problem I've found is getting my wires from the clamp area to somewhere I can set my rig, at least without being obtrusive and bothering the other patrons.  Often I clamp to the ceiling at one side of the stage, run my wires a short distance over to the wall,  tape there, and let them fall down the wall.  Then sit my rig against the wall, hopefully out of the way of drunken patrons.

Richard
Mics: Sennheiser MKE2002 (dummy head), Studio Projects C4, AT825 (unmodded), AT822 franken mic (x2), AT853(hc,c,sc,o), Senn. MKE2, Senn MKE40, Shure MX183/5, CA Cards, homebrew Panasonic and Transsound capsules.
Pre/ADC: Presonus Firepod & Firebox, DMIC20(x2), UA5(poorly-modded, AD8620+AD8512opamps), VX440
Recorders: Edirol R4, R09, IBM X24 laptop, NJB3(x2), HiMD(x2), MD(1).
** This individual has moved to user "illconditioned" **

Offline it-goes-to-eleven

• Trade Count: (58)
  • Needs to get out more...
« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2005, 09:23:33 PM »
What kind of mount do you have for your AKGs?

Offline poppag76

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2005, 03:51:05 PM »
I have the AKG stereo Bar.

And on the clamps, most of what I have seen are for balconys.

I'm just trying to figure out if there will be anything decent to clamp to.  The ceiling is probably out of the question.  It is two levels, one fairly low near the bar and the other right in front of the stage is at least 25-30' high.  The open area which i could possibly set up is to the right of the stage but out of the way of the acoustics and setting up mics for a good sound would be fairly difficult.  I will try and make a diagram of the venue and post it.

Offline grider

• Trade Count: (6)
  • always give more than you take
« Reply #4 on: December 18, 2005, 06:19:14 PM »

Thanks everyone.

yea, get a clamp, and keep it with you for future taping ops; I bought the Manfrotto quick release clamp from micsupply.com, not cheap but you only have to buy it once, and it will probably save you in these situations, its a sweet little clamp

Offline poppag76

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #5 on: December 20, 2005, 10:18:08 AM »
Ok.  So here is a drawing of the venue in its most crude of forms.  I know it looks like a kindergartener did it, sorry but I am at work and don't have a lot of time.  The area to the right of the bar and stage is much more open than that.  The problem is there is no real place to clamp on FOB.  The only place that I can see near the stage that will be ok is on the stairwell bars, but even then, it is a severe angle and don't know how that would sound.  Any suggestions out there?

Offline poppag76

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #6 on: December 20, 2005, 11:03:47 AM »
and apparently i can't spell either.

Offline Brian Skalinder

• Complaint Dept.
  • Trade Count: (28)
« Reply #7 on: December 20, 2005, 11:37:26 AM »
I assume the reason you don't just run a stand DFC is that it's "not a taper friendly venue".  Couple options:

<1>  Monopod - takes up no floor space, and may address the venue's concern with the footpring of a stand.  High maintenance, however.

<2>  Are those posts/pillars between the stage and bar?  If so, you could clamp onto one with a clamp and/or strap, or gaffers-tape your t-bar/stand(closed) to the post.  It wouldn't be an ideal location, but if it's a mono mix (likely), pulling a stack-ish recording will turn out just fine, I suspect.
Milab VM-44 Links > Fostex FR-2LE or
Naiant IPA (tinybox format) > Roland R-05

Offline poppag76

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #8 on: December 20, 2005, 12:11:49 PM »
I had one of the band members talk to the owner of the venue.  Apparently the show is going to be at capacity so no room for a mic stand.  And the columns  are inbetween the stage and bar, but as far as my memory serves me, there was no real place to clamp.  Also the ceiling is almost reachable by me and I'm 5'9".  So I worry about clamping anywhere on the columns for fear of drunks knocking them off, it is a New Years show after all. 

Offline Brian Skalinder

• Complaint Dept.
  • Trade Count: (28)
« Reply #9 on: December 20, 2005, 12:20:28 PM »
I had one of the band members talk to the owner of the venue.  Apparently the show is going to be at capacity so no room for a mic stand.  And the columns  are inbetween the stage and bar, but as far as my memory serves me, there was no real place to clamp.  Also the ceiling is almost reachable by me and I'm 5'9".  So I worry about clamping anywhere on the columns for fear of drunks knocking them off, it is a New Years show after all.

I think your best bet is to gaffers-tape your t-bar to the column, or set up a strap and clamp system.  At 5'9", you should be able to set it up high enough so people don't knock it while they're walking by.  I poked around for a pic of the strap/clamp system someone used here, but the image is no longer available (hosted offsite).

But if no matter how you set up you'll be sweating the gear all night and not having a good time as a result - and this is the impression I'm getting - I'd just skip recording entirely and enjoy the show.
Milab VM-44 Links > Fostex FR-2LE or
Naiant IPA (tinybox format) > Roland R-05

Offline it-goes-to-eleven

• Trade Count: (58)
« Reply #10 on: December 20, 2005, 12:28:43 PM »
I'd just use a $5 ratchet strap to attach Something to the column.  Get a right angle bracket for $! at home depot. Bolt your mics to it and slide it behind the webbing.  Add tape as necessary.

As far as the drunks go, you gotta defend your turf!  Maybe get one of those electric fly swatters..

Offline poppag76

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #11 on: December 20, 2005, 12:40:46 PM »
Thanks for all the suggestions.  I appreciate it.  +T(if I could)

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.057 seconds with 35 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com