Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Need to reduce a WHOOper and clapper  (Read 5694 times)

Offline vanark

• TDS
  • Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (29)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • If you ain't right, you better get right!
    • The Mudboy Grotto - North Mississippi Allstar fan site
Need to reduce a WHOOper and clapper
« on: March 15, 2008, 10:05:43 AM »
I recorded a show last night and had an WHOOper (WHOO! WHOO!) and clapper sitting behind me and his enjoyment of the show is represented well on the recording.  Otherwise a fine recording, and I really don't have a problem with his representation on the recording.  Except...  I know this artist tends to increase the volume of the last few songs by about 5 dB, so I ran the levels pretty conservatively so I could boost the rest of the show in post.  With the WHOOs and claps that occur during the songs (not just between songs), and at times clipping, amplifying the recording is presenting a problem.  If it was just applause or WHOOping between songs, I'd simple reduce the between song segments before applying peak normalization.  However, being during the actual music and quite numerous, I am at a bit of loss other than to manually reduce each one which would drive me crazy and might cause me to simply shelve the recording.

I have only used Audacity and know there is an envelope tool, but even after reading the posts here and elsewhere, am at a loss as to how it really works.  I am willing to use another tool (free or not overly expensive, please. R8Brain or Samplitude?).  Any help or direction would be appreciated.
If you have a problem relating to the Live Music Archive (http://www.archive.org/details/etree) please send an e-mail to us admins at LMA(AT)archive(DOT)org or post in the LMA thread here and we'll get on it.

Link to LMA Recordings

Link to Team Dirty South Recordings on the LMA

Mics: Microtech Gefell M21 (with Nbob actives) | Church Audio CA-11 (cards) (with CA UBB)
Pres: babynbox
Recorders: Tascam DR-60D | Tascam DR-40 | Sony PCM-A10 | Edirol R-4

Offline vanark

• TDS
  • Site Supporter
Re: Need to reduce a WHOOper and clapper
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2008, 08:03:12 PM »
Okay, so I've figured out how to use the envelope tool.  Just not sure this is the best way to deal with it.  The WHOO WHOO's are pretty numerous.  And the clapping is all over the recording, spiking above the music, even clipping at times.
If you have a problem relating to the Live Music Archive (http://www.archive.org/details/etree) please send an e-mail to us admins at LMA(AT)archive(DOT)org or post in the LMA thread here and we'll get on it.

Link to LMA Recordings

Mics: Microtech Gefell M21 (with Nbob actives) | Church Audio CA-11 (cards) (with CA UBB)

Offline bbernardini

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Regular
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2008, 08:24:32 PM »
Personally, I would go with individually lowering the volume of each clap and whoop. As annoying as it is, it gives you more control and won't affect the surrounding audio as much.

Offline vanark

• TDS
  • Site Supporter
« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2008, 08:42:37 PM »
I'm working on the whoops now with the envelope tool.  Getting the hang of it - 5 points, steep then shallow.  But the clapping will be too tedious to do individually.  He was rhythmically clapping during some songs - it would be hundreds, perhaps thousands of edits and likely using the pencil tool, not the envelope tool.  I'd rather shelve the recording than do that.  I don't mind taking care of a few dozen problems, but hundreds is more than I'm up for.  Once I get the whoops tamed, I think I'm simply going to amplify the music up to -1.0 peak (basically an estimate since the tool will say it needs 0 dB amplification to get to 0 dB) and let the claps clip.

Link to LMA Recordings

Offline itook2much

• Taperssection All-Star
  • AKA rspencer
    • my masters
« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2008, 08:46:44 PM »
If the "WHOO WHO"'s are that numerous, I'd just leave them as-is.  If you feel the overall recording is too low musically,, amplify using compression or a limiter.

It's kinduva shame to just shelve it.  It is what it is, so you do what you can.  Who was it, if you don't mind me asking?  The artist that is, not the WHOO-WHOOer.  :)
DPA 4060 (CS HEB) > CS BB > Edirol R-09

Backups:  DPA 4060 (1/8"), SP-BMC-2, SP-SPSB-6, Sony MZ-NH1

Quote from: tomluvsgiants
rule #1 - get the show taped
rule #2 - see rule #1    >:D

Quote from: Grace Hopper
“If it's a good idea, go ahead and do it. It's much easier to apologize than it is to get permission.”

Offline vanark

• TDS
  • Site Supporter
« Reply #5 on: March 15, 2008, 08:57:39 PM »
If the "WHOO WHO"'s are that numerous, I'd just leave them as-is.  If you feel the overall recording is too low musically,, amplify using compression or a limiter.

I don't know how to do that in Audacity.  I think the compression tool doesn't work too well from what I've read.

It's kinduva shame to just shelve it.  It is what it is, so you do what you can.  Who was it, if you don't mind me asking?  The artist that is, not the WHOO-WHOOer.  :)

Can't say.  It is one of those 007 jobs that is for an artist that has become a bit of an enemy of his Internet followers.

Link to LMA Recordings

Offline Brian Skalinder

• Complaint Dept.
  • Trade Count: (28)
« Reply #6 on: March 15, 2008, 11:48:28 PM »
I think the compression tool doesn't work too well from what I've read.

Someone commented recently Audacity's compression works just fine for them.  It didn't work for me when I was using Audacity, but that was some time ago, so it may work now.
Milab VM-44 Links > Fostex FR-2LE or
Naiant IPA (tinybox format) >
Roland R-05

Offline SmokinJoe

• Trade Count: (63)
  • "75 and sunny"... life is so much simpler.
    • uploads to archive.org
« Reply #7 on: March 16, 2008, 02:52:13 PM »
Can't say.  It is one of those 007 jobs that is for an artist that has become a bit of an enemy of his Internet followers.

I can't believe you taped Michael Jackson!  :nightfevah:
Mics: Schoeps MK4 & CMC5's / Gefell M200's & M210's / ADK-TL / DPA4061's
Pres: V3 / ST9100
Decks: Oade Concert Mod R4Pro / R09 / R05
Photo: Nikon D700's, 2.8 Zooms, and Zeiss primes
Playback: Raspberry Pi > Modi2 Uber > Magni2 > HD650

Offline Dede2002

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #8 on: March 16, 2008, 04:03:47 PM »

I can't believe you taped Michael Jackson!  :nightfevah:
;D ;D ;D

Mics..........................SP-CMC-8, HLSC-1 and HLSO-MICRO
BB and Preamps........MM Micro bb / MM Custom Elite bb / Church 9100

Recorders...................Tascam DR-100MKIII, Marantz PMD 620 MKII, Edirol R-09

Offline powermonkey

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #9 on: April 02, 2008, 05:15:21 PM »
Next time take a shotgun, then you'll only have 1 loud *bang* to fix in post.

;D

Church Audio CA-11s, CA-14 Cards, CA-14 Omnis, Peluso CEMC-6

CA 9200 preamp
FEL BMA-1 Preamp

Edirol R09
Edirol R09HR
Sony M10
Edirol R44

My live recordings.... HERE:

https://www.facebook.com/Liverecordings1

and/or

https://soundcloud.com/liverecordings-1

Offline OOK

• Trade Count: (17)
  • formerly OtherOneK
« Reply #10 on: April 08, 2008, 08:13:16 PM »
Next time take a shotgun, then you'll only have 1 loud *bang* to fix in post.

;D

Dam that was funny............T+
DPA/HEB 4060's > R09HR
MBHO648/KA100Lk/KA200/KA300/KA500 > SD702

ilduclo

« Reply #11 on: April 08, 2008, 08:26:58 PM »
you want to reduce them? off with their f-in head!! :laugh:

Offline Jeremy Lykins

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #12 on: April 28, 2008, 05:21:23 PM »
I recorded a show last night and had an WHOOper (WHOO! WHOO!) and clapper sitting behind me and his enjoyment of the show is represented well on the recording.

I just started taping and there's a guy who apparently has the same taste in music as me who "ruins" every recording that I make with him in attendance (4 out of 8 so far).  He's got this obnoxious "Wooooooooooooo, HOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!" that he screams every 1-2 minutes for the entire show (not just between songs).  Because of him I shelved my last recording without even listening to the second set, and I even heard him on a soundboard recording that I made.  I've already not liked him for a couple of years now.  I've been thinking about what I should do about it, and the only thing that I can do is to take down my rig as soon as I see him come in the venue.  I doubt that he'd catch the hint, but at least I wouldn't be wasting my time with a recording that I'll never listen to.
« Last Edit: April 28, 2008, 05:27:08 PM by Brian Skalinder »

Offline morst

• I think I found an error on the internet; #UnionStrong
  • Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #13 on: April 29, 2008, 05:18:50 AM »
I've been thinking about what I should do about it
Get a VERY TALL micstand.
https://toad.social/@morst spoutible.com/morst post.news/@acffhmorst

Offline wbrisette

• Trade Count: (2)
    • Homepage
« Reply #14 on: April 29, 2008, 11:32:04 AM »
I recorded a show last night and had an WHOOper (WHOO! WHOO!) and clapper sitting behind me and his enjoyment of the show is represented well on the recording.

I just started taping and there's a guy who apparently has the same taste in music as me who "ruins" every recording that I make with him in attendance (4 out of 8 so far).  He's got this obnoxious "Wooooooooooooo, HOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!" that he screams every 1-2 minutes for the entire show (not just between songs).  Because of him I shelved my last recording without even listening to the second set, and I even heard him on a soundboard recording that I made.  I've already not liked him for a couple of years now.  I've been thinking about what I should do about it,

Actually, I would give him a copy of the show and say, "Here, this is a copy of xxx. I saw you at the show and figured you would enjoy it. Oh, and sorry about the sound quality, it sounds pretty good except for the parts when you couldn't help yourself. But you should enjoy it."

Maybe it will shut him up after he hears what an ass he really is...

Wayne
Mics: Earthworks SR-77 (MP), QTC-1 (MP)

Editing: QSC RMX2450, MOTU 2408 MK3, Earthworks Sigma 6.2

Online Gutbucket

• record > listen > revise technique
  • Trade Count: (16)
  • "Better to love music than respect it" ~Stravinsky
« Reply #15 on: April 29, 2008, 12:31:55 PM »
 ;D
musical volition > vibrations > voltages > numeric values > voltages > vibrations> virtual teleportation time-machine experience
Better recording made easy - >>Improved PAS table<< | Made excellent- >>click here to download the Oddball Microphone Technique illustrated PDF booklet<< (note: This is a 1st draft, now several years old and in need of revision!  Stay tuned)

Offline cybergaloot

• Trade Count: (7)
  • Poohbah!
« Reply #16 on: April 29, 2008, 12:47:44 PM »
A few years back I went to a blues festival at Rock Crusher Canyon in Crystal River, FL. Its a cool venue in that the concert area is down in an old abandoned quarry that has been landscaped. The headline act was Buddy Guy. Some skanky, wobbly, drunk-ass, biker chick with way too many nasty tattoos kept yelling out in her screechy hick voice "Buddy Guy! BUUUDDY GUY!" over and over again. Like he would ever hear her over the monitors and call back "I love you you, nasty biker skank." Hell, she had probably never heard of him before the festival. She kept on swaying on the slope just yelling away, stumbling every once in a while. Everybody was annoyed but nobody wanted to get into it with her equally drunk biker buddies. I really wish she would have stumbled, fallen and rolled down the hill screaming "Buddy Guy!" the whole way, at least I would have gotten a good laugh.

BTW, I have quite a few biker friends, they just aren't that obnoxious in public.
--
Walter

Everybody is ignorant, only on different subjects. Will Rogers

this>that>the other

Offline keytohwy

• Trade Count: (7)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #17 on: April 30, 2008, 05:06:42 PM »
I can beat that.

I saw Willie Nelson do a club show a few years back.  He was doing, I think 3 nights.  Anyway, got tix for my wife and my mom.  It was GA, so we went early to get fairly close.  Of course, as show time arrived, there was a crush for those wanting to get close, but not wanting to come early and stand there for a couple of hours.  So this small group of drunks was near us.  Same as your biker chick, the guy in this group kept telling Willie "North Carolina loves you" sometimes appending a "man" on the end.  Forget that the show was in Virginia, Willie never heard a word, but this guy kept at it, annoying everyone around them.  His chicks were drunk and kept stumbling around, it was a mess.  So, we left between main set and encore, and my mom put her gum in one of the chick's hair.  Damn, it was sweet.  I know that girl had no idea it was there.  I still think about her waking up the next morning saying "WTF!"

keytohwy

A few years back I went to a blues festival at Rock Crusher Canyon in Crystal River, FL. Its a cool venue in that the concert area is down in an old abandoned quarry that has been landscaped. The headline act was Buddy Guy. Some skanky, wobbly, drunk-ass, biker chick with way too many nasty tattoos kept yelling out in her screechy hick voice "Buddy Guy! BUUUDDY GUY!" over and over again. Like he would ever hear her over the monitors and call back "I love you you, nasty biker skank." Hell, she had probably never heard of him before the festival. She kept on swaying on the slope just yelling away, stumbling every once in a while. Everybody was annoyed but nobody wanted to get into it with her equally drunk biker buddies. I really wish she would have stumbled, fallen and rolled down the hill screaming "Buddy Guy!" the whole way, at least I would have gotten a good laugh.

BTW, I have quite a few biker friends, they just aren't that obnoxious in public.

Offline Mr.Fantasy

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Taperssection Member
  • Jesus saves...
« Reply #18 on: May 01, 2008, 07:06:46 PM »
Kepp em coming...

I love story time...

Has anyone ever had a line form to talk to you about getting a tape?
"I read somewhere that 77 percent of all the mentally ill live in poverty. Actually, I'm more intrigued by the 23 percent who are apparently doing quite well for themselves" ---Jerry Garcia

Mics: Modified Nak 300's, Line Audio CM4
P48/Pres: PS2
Decks: Edirol R-09

Offline j.mart

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #19 on: May 02, 2008, 05:18:31 PM »
i'm calling tl:dr, so sorry if i get redundant in this post :P

i tend to use band-stop filters to mitigate whistling and EQ'ing in woohoos. the crowd artefact worked upon will sound weird and unnatural, albeit more comfortable to your hears. whistlers are *really* easy to remove almost completely with a very favorable compromise in music loss. if you determine the fundamental frequency of the whistler using a narrow Q, high boost, and sweep in your softwares parametric equalizer, you can determine which frequency the whistle has and BSF the fuck out of it. .the narrower the BSF, the least ammount of music you affect and the results are pretty good if you're rigorous and most of all patient. and since most whistling is between 2.6k and 3.5k, you can easily isolate and determine accurately where it is.  (DO NOT cut everything between these values, just search for the frequency where the whistle is located). another much more effective method of detection is using the spectral view function.

you'll find a hot region around 500Hz and 800Hz for most male woohoos, a little higher for girls. however, a lot of music is located inbetween those values, and i would not encourage the use of BSF for them. just use a realatively soft EQ in that region and you should get pleasing results. heck, even if you lose some music in the process, its much better than suddenly having a guy screaming at +6dB the normal music program of the recording. bottom line, BSF for whistling and a rather conservative EQ for woohoo.

you can also attenuate the harmonics i both cases, but thats a whole different subject and i wouldn't recommend doing it in either cases as it would further damage the music in the recording (especially if you're talking about woohoos). the only time i used such method was in a case of extreme feedback, and i used a notch filter there.

for handclaps, limiting is the best. if you're reeeeealy patient, i suggest you work clap by clap. pay attention to the difference between the snare attacks and claps, as they are easy to confuse on the waveform display.

PS: most conservative guys would probably argue with some of the methods described above. i don't like the extra work, so hey, if they are to be used, make it a special case. living in a latin country, crowds can go wild sometimes and most of my tapes would be unlistenable unless i applied some of the extreme editing described above.

examples (done in a sloppy quicky way)

whistle

post-whistle
semi-retired

rec:
AT943 (o, c) / DPA SMK4061
Wendt X2 / ST-9100
PCM-D50 / SD 744T

archive
last.fm

Online Gutbucket

• record > listen > revise technique
  • Trade Count: (16)
  • "Better to love music than respect it" ~Stravinsky
« Reply #20 on: May 02, 2008, 05:41:36 PM »
... living in a latin country, crowds can go wild sometimes and most of my tapes would be unlistenable unless i applied some of the extreme editing described above.
;D
musical volition > vibrations > voltages > numeric values > voltages > vibrations> virtual teleportation time-machine experience
Better recording made easy - >>Improved PAS table<< | Made excellent- >>click here to download the Oddball Microphone Technique illustrated PDF booklet<< (note: This is a 1st draft, now several years old and in need of revision!  Stay tuned)

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.079 seconds with 46 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com