Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: thoughts on the Audio-Technica AT822  (Read 13767 times)

Offline rastasean

• in paradise
  • Trade Count: (23)
  • Needs to get out more...
Re: thoughts on the Audio-Technica AT822
« Reply #15 on: August 07, 2008, 10:15:45 AM »
I have one and agree it has a nice sound for intimate acoustic stuff (which is mostly all I record). The output is not real hot however (-45/5.6mV). It won't do real well directly driving a MT2496, for instance (but then will anything?). So I'd say the S/N ratio isn't great unless it's going into a good pre. But in that case, the AT825 is kind of a better match - it's pretty much the same mic but balanced output and can use phantom. YMMV.

Peace,
Sanaka

Instead of getting the at825, I would rather have the Rode NT5 or two mono mics (the discontinued at3031) and record in stereo.
Advice is a form of nostalgia, dispensing it is a way of fishing the past from the disposal, wiping it off, painting over the ugly parts and recycling it for more than it’s worth.

Offline trajhip2000

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Regular
« Reply #16 on: August 07, 2008, 12:02:54 PM »
trajhip2000, Audio-Technica describes this as a one-point stereo microphone, but in fact the capsule head contains two small, separate cardioid capsules spaced apart and facing outward, kind of like a shrunken ORTF arrangement. The capsules are definitely not coincident, and recordings made with this microphone aren't mono-compatible at high frequencies.

--best regards

whoops, my bad - and I actually own an AT825!

Offline anechoic

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Regular
  • composer, writer, sound designer
« Reply #17 on: August 07, 2008, 02:11:04 PM »
Do you consider the Aevox mic to be better than the AT-822?
Kind regards,
JM.

@JM
I'd say the output 'level' and the 'quality' are about the same
but keep in mind though that the 822 is using 2 card caps
while the Aevox MkII are 2 omni's
so they will sound different in how they create a 'stereo stage'

to be honest I haven't A/B'd the Aevox and the 822 so I can't give you my impressions

the nice thing about the Aevox is that you can position them any way you want: A-B, X/Y, etc.
(also, they are PIP and not P48)
but with a stereo bar and a couple of mic clips on a stand you should be good to go
but since you are pr0lly mic'ing live music fiddling with mic patterns might or might not be of use to you
also the Aevox can be stealth – although the body of each mic is heavier than say DPA4060 or a Countryman
nothing a velcro strip can't solve

also, consider that the Aevox stereo MkII is almost twice the price of a used 822

« Last Edit: August 07, 2008, 02:12:54 PM by anechoic »
'In the new world the characteristic unit will be
small, highly mobile, independent and intelligent.'
                                - Robert Fripp

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.059 seconds with 27 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com