Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: D: Recovry Partition  (Read 1997 times)

Offline John R

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Needs to get out more...
    • www.tapers.org
D: Recovry Partition
« on: August 31, 2008, 11:12:21 PM »
I'm about to wipe C: but need to know how to get into D:  When I click on it, it says it's protected by PC Angel.
we all live downstream.

Offline Gutbucket

• record > listen > revise technique
  • Trade Count: (16)
  • "Better to love music than respect it" ~Stravinsky
Re: D: Recovry Partition
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2008, 11:43:59 PM »
Is D: a special recovery partition, placed there by the manufacturer?

Maybe you need to login with administrator rights if you haven't. Or you might check the bios options and boot to that drive. Hold a F key while starting (not sure which).
You could also try to access it though DOS or a command prompt.  I can't see mine that way, but if I click on the drive in Windows Explorer I get this message:

Compaq

Recovery Partition
Warning!

This area of your hard disk
(or partition) contains files used
for your system recovery.

Do not delete or alter these files.

Any change to this partition could
prevent any recovery later.
musical volition > vibrations > voltages > numeric values > voltages > vibrations> virtual teleportation time-machine experience
Better recording made easy - >>Improved PAS table<< | Made excellent- >>click here to download the Oddball Microphone Technique illustrated PDF booklet<< (note: This is a 1st draft, now several years old and in need of revision!  Stay tuned)

Offline Gutbucket

• record > listen > revise technique
  • Trade Count: (16)
  • "Better to love music than respect it" ~Stravinsky
« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2008, 11:47:31 PM »
http://www.pcangelsolutions.com/index.htm

After installing PC Angel LE, boot into the Recovery Partition by pressing F10
musical volition > vibrations > voltages > numeric values > voltages > vibrations> virtual teleportation time-machine experience
Better recording made easy - >>Improved PAS table<< | Made excellent- >>click here to download the Oddball Microphone Technique illustrated PDF booklet<< (note: This is a 1st draft, now several years old and in need of revision!  Stay tuned)

Offline Chilly Brioschi

• The fool doth think he is wise, but the wise man knows himself to be a fool.
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Waiting for the next cladogenetic event, or Godot
    • Oceana North America
« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2008, 07:35:15 AM »
aaaaarrrrgh!   recover it, save it to a Black Cherry drive or similar product, and delete it the D: partition

Why a software company would write a program that would put a back-up on the same physical drive is astounding to me. 

These new external drives are cheap, self-sufficient in their own back-up software, and easy.

...just remember to use them!!!    ;D

« Last Edit: September 06, 2008, 07:37:41 AM by Bob »
"Peace is for everyone"
        - Norah Jones

"Music is the drug that won't kill you"
         - Fran Lebowitz

Offline Sebastian

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #4 on: September 06, 2008, 02:46:16 PM »
Why a software company would write a program that would put a back-up on the same physical drive is astounding to me. 

Exactly. This is total nonsense. The first thing I always do when I get a new PC is to delete all partitions and install a clean version of the operating system from my own CD. That's just the easiest way to get rid of the manufacturer's adjustments and all the bundled crap I don't ever need.

Offline Chilly Brioschi

• The fool doth think he is wise, but the wise man knows himself to be a fool.
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Waiting for the next cladogenetic event, or Godot
    • Oceana North America
« Reply #5 on: September 07, 2008, 09:15:29 AM »

Exactly. This is total nonsense. The first thing I always do when I get a new PC is to delete all partitions and install a clean version of the operating system from my own CD. That's just the easiest way to get rid of the manufacturer's adjustments and all the bundled crap I don't ever need.

I make one fairly large partition for the OS, allowing for it to double in size and then about 20% more.
I then make a data partition or two for music, my files, etc.

That way, if I have to recover, I usually find my data untouched by a system reload.

I was never a big fan of the manufacturer's image, but sometimes they include good stuff, like MB management (fans, power, etc) and keyboard controls, like an external volume control and mute button.
Windows updates will bring some of that back if you remove it, but not everything.

A good backup is always on a separate physical hard drive in case the actual drive decides to take a dirt nap.
"Peace is for everyone"
        - Norah Jones

"Music is the drug that won't kill you"
         - Fran Lebowitz

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.059 seconds with 32 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com