Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Best blank DVD's for backing up music??  (Read 4850 times)

Offline heath

• Laugh it up, Fuzzball...
  • Trade Count: (4)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • I'm score!!!!!!
    • The Upstream Mend
Re: Best blank DVD's for backing up music??
« Reply #15 on: April 28, 2009, 09:36:59 AM »
Steve--

Just make sure to regularly spin up backup drives.  Probably the biggest physical problem with hard drives is the bearing/lubrication.  By spinning the drives up on a regular basis, you keep things happy.

In the library world we use the LOCKSS philosophy:

Lots of copies keep stuff safe

Our typical archival delivery of files occurs on multiple formats--usually we send:
External 5TB Raid Array + LTO4 + Data DVDs
And the Sultans... yeah the Sultans play creole

The Upstream Mend

Offline terabyte23

• Trade Count: (14)
  • Taperssection Regular
« Reply #16 on: April 28, 2009, 06:37:39 PM »

My plan is to have triple backup...original data, single redundancy under my desk with the 1TB drive mentioned above, then a third 1TB drive for off-site redundancy.  That third 1TB drive will come to work with me where I'll keep it locked up in my desk drawer.  Maybe once a month I'll take it home to refresh my data and then bring it back to work...or maybe at that point I'll rotate with one of the active drives so that all of my drives get about the same amount of use.

I agree with everything tonedeaf and Brian Skalinder wrote, and I use a technique similar to what tonedeaf mentioned above.  I have a desktop machine with 3TB storage, a backup server with 3TB active in RAID5, and a 2TB external disk (2 x 1TB) that gets stored at work.  I bring the external disk home every week or two and sync it against the backup server.  All of my media are stored on active disk.  This method uses a lot of disks but the price per GB is still pretty cheap and this is a lot more convenient than dealing with optical disks, IMO.  The key to this approach is redundancy, as the other guys said.

The time will come when the 2TB external drive isn't big enough and I'll have to add another external disk.  But by then I think we'll have other options.  Heck, you can already buy 2TB internal drives - amazing  ;D
AKG ck61/ck63 > Naiant couplings > Naiant Tinybox > M10
CA-14 cards/omnis > SP-SPSB-8 > M10

Offline StuStu

• Trade Count: (40)
  • Needs to get out more...
« Reply #17 on: April 28, 2009, 07:14:35 PM »
I back up on external hd's and listen to dvd-a's on Taiyo Yuden's.
MK5, MK8, MK41, KM184D, CK77, B3 ---CMD 2U XT, KC5, KCY, AKI---KCY Tinybox, Ugly BB---AETA 4MinX, PMD661 MKII, R-26, M-10, MR-1

Offline Red Boink

• Trade Count: (27)
  • Taperssection Regular
« Reply #18 on: May 01, 2009, 05:59:33 PM »
Yuden is a stable plant that produces consistently high quality disks.  As to why +r:

http://www.cdfreaks.com/reviews/Why-DVDRW-is-superior-to-DVD-RW/
« Last Edit: May 01, 2009, 11:29:03 PM by Red Boink »

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.146 seconds with 28 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com