Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Strange shock mount based on the Shure A53M  (Read 2569 times)

Offline midside

• Trade Count: (10)
  • Taperssection Member
Strange shock mount based on the Shure A53M
« on: June 05, 2009, 06:12:43 PM »
Here's an interesting mount I just got made up of 2 Shure A53M mounts on a piece of anodized aluminum.  One end is threaded and the top mount can swivel.  Many possibilities here depending on your gear, MS, blumlein, strong single body (like in the picture), and more.   I also see this as a nice option for a pair of mics, one on an active and one with body.  Anyhow, I have never seen this mount before, perhaps someone can chime in if they've seen it.  I think it is really cool and kinda want to keep it, but I might sell it if someone is interested...let me know...

Offline midside

• Taperssection Member
Re: Strange shock mount based on the Shure A53M
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2009, 08:38:47 AM »
anyone?

Offline John Willett

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • Bio:
    • Sound-Link ProAudio
« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2009, 11:42:51 AM »
It looks home-made to me and designed to do exactly what yo said at the top.

Offline DSatz

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (35)
  • Needs to get out more...
« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2009, 01:31:22 PM »
It looks very useful and I would definitely want to have one, but its design could be improved a bit since the microphone capsules would come fairly close to its "backbone" and some obstruction would be created at high frequencies.

Directional microphones are particularly sensitive to this kind of thing. It's tempting to imagine that front-arriving sound affects only the front of a membrane, but for example in a cardioid, the amount of driving force that affects the membrane (and thus the microphone's sensitivity) is nearly doubled by sound reaching the rear of the membrane via the delay chamber and the perforations in the capsule's backplate. If the amount of that driving force weren't very nearly the equal of the force at the membrane's front surface, a cardioid microphone wouldn't have much of a response null in the back; it would be a "wide cardioid" instead.

Thus for critical recordings, it would be somewhat better if the support rod tapered to a smaller diameter--see for example the rather florid design in the attached scan from Neumann's 1966 microphone catalog. Then the obstruction wouldn't have any effect at all below a correspondingly higher frequency--and even at the highest frequencies, the degree of interference would be a little less since there would be slightly more free space between the "backbone" and the microphone capsules.

--best regards
« Last Edit: June 21, 2009, 01:35:04 PM by DSatz »
music > microphones > a recorder of some sort

Offline midside

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #4 on: June 25, 2009, 03:23:10 PM »
It looks very useful and I would definitely want to have one...

Could be yours, would you like to make me a fair offer?

Offline midside

• Taperssection Member

Offline notlance

• Trade Count: (6)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #6 on: July 01, 2009, 04:40:04 PM »
Thus for critical recordings, it would be somewhat better if the support rod tapered to a smaller diameter--see for example the rather florid design in the attached scan from Neumann's 1966 microphone catalog.

Interesting.  I've never seen that Neumann rig before, but I built a similar one after I got some Sennheiser MKH800 Twins to do double MS recordings.  I paid particular attention to keeping the support rod behind the mics thin and far away as to not affect the sound.  I suspect the rod would have the most effect on the sound of the rear facing capsule, but I have not heard anything detrimental.

Offline boa

• Trade Count: (6)
  • Taperssection Member
  • crowesbase loves you
    • crowesbase:an.amorican.archive
« Reply #7 on: July 03, 2009, 11:51:16 AM »
What use did you have it made for?

Here's an interesting mount I just got made up of 2 Shure A53M mounts on a piece of anodized aluminum.  One end is threaded and the top mount can swivel.  Many possibilities here depending on your gear, MS, blumlein, strong single body (like in the picture), and more.   I also see this as a nice option for a pair of mics, one on an active and one with body.  Anyhow, I have never seen this mount before, perhaps someone can chime in if they've seen it.  I think it is really cool and kinda want to keep it, but I might sell it if someone is interested...let me know...

Microtech Gefell m22 >  Babynbox > Sony m10acm
Microtech Gefell mv200/m21 > Aerco mp2 > Roland r44ocm

Offline midside

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #8 on: July 03, 2009, 02:09:59 PM »
I didn't have it made, it was part of a bigger purchase.
I guess I should have said it like this:

Here's an interesting mount I just received, it is made up of 2 Shure A53M mounts....

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.048 seconds with 33 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com