Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Anybody get the Comcast Bot warning yet? How I removed my Bot  (Read 6199 times)

Offline fmaderjr

• Trade Count: (16)
  • Taperssection All-Star
Anybody get the Comcast Bot warning yet? How I removed my Bot
« on: February 01, 2011, 10:10:15 AM »
I got an e-mail a few days ago from Comcast telling me I was most likely infected with a Bot. I didn't want to deall with them trying to help me remove it (and wasn't even confident that they could), so I used Acronis True Image to set my computer back to a disc image 45 days old hoping it wasn't installed by then.

I then installed a great free program called Bothunter that is incredible at detecting Bots (though not much help at removing them). Unfortunately within a half an hour it picked up signs of bot activity.

The only other image I had was 2.5 years ago, so  I reverted to that date and had a lot of software to update or reinstall. It was worth it though, because Bothunter has now been running about 3 days and has not detected any Bot activity.

What a great program! If I get another Bot it will notify me almost immediately and all I will have to do is to save my data and to use Acronis to revert to an image that shouldn't be more than a week or so old (so no issues with a lot of software to reinstall).
« Last Edit: February 01, 2011, 10:33:14 AM by fmaderjr »
AT853's (all caps)/CM-300 Franken Naks (CP-1,2,3)/JBMod Nak 700's (CP-701,702) > Tascam DR-680
Or Sonic Studios DSM-6 > M10

kirk97132

• Trade Count: (0)
Re: Anybody get the Comcast Bot warning yet? How I removed my Bot
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2011, 01:33:08 PM »
There is a GREAT freeware program called spybot search and destroy.  Has fantastic detection & removal system and will run along side of existing anti-virus software with no issues.  Give you the options to remove or not remove things too.  I ran it after getting hit with a bunch of e-mail worms and it got stuff that my existing protection never even saw.  Been running it about a year and it has been great.  NO worms, bots, virus's or any issues to speak of. 

Offline Chuck

• Trade Count: (42)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • time between the notes...
    • My recordings on the LMA
« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2011, 02:24:50 PM »
Another one is SUPERAntiSpyware. For me, if nothing else detects it, SUPERAntiSpyware does.
Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one.

Microphones: AKG C 480 B comb-ULS/ CK 61/ CK 63, Sennheiser MKE 2 elements,  Audix M1290-o, Micro capsule active cables w/ Naiant PFA's, Naiant MSH-1O, Naiant AKG Active cables, Church CA-11 (cardioid), (1) Nady SCM-1000 (mod)
Pre-amps: Naiant littlebox, Naiant littlekit v2.0, BM2p+ Edirol UA-5, Church STC-9000
Recorders: Sound Devices MixPre-6, iRiver iHP-120 (Rockboxed & RTC mod)

Recordings on the LMA: http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/ChuckM
Recording website & blog: http://www.timebetweenthenotes.com

Offline bhtoque

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • So much music, so little time.
« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2011, 08:53:23 PM »
Another one is SUPERAntiSpyware. For me, if nothing else detects it, SUPERAntiSpyware does.

QFT and to add Malware Bytes Anti-malware to the recommended list

JAson
MG 200/210/270
AKG c422>s42>Hydra silver interconnects
AKG 391/92/93>MK 90/3 actives
>AM Hyper-Conductors
Studio Projects LSD2>MiAGi II
>Edirol R-4 (Oade T Mod)

db.etree.org/bhtoque

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.22 seconds with 28 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com