Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Sony PCM-M10, Roland R-05 or Tascam Dr2d  (Read 12973 times)

Offline Shaun

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Newbie
Sony PCM-M10, Roland R-05 or Tascam Dr2d
« on: February 22, 2011, 01:53:51 PM »
I'm finally going to upgrade from minidisc and am torn between these 3, although leaning towards the Sony PCM-M10

I've read that the Roland R-05 is comparable to the Sony PCM-M10 (and it's much cheaper here in the UK), is that the case? I'm also not sure if the Roland has line out.

The Tascam DR2d looks interesting but opinions seem to be mixed. Am I right in thinking that although it records two files (one at a lower volume) you cannot adjust the record level while recording?

Very grateful for any comments.

Offline newplanet7

• Hasn't heard a muddy 460/480 tape. EVER. Mike Hawk
  • Trade Count: (5)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • The Place To Be...... Akustische u. Kino-Geräte
Re: Sony PCM-M10, Roland R-05 or Tascam Dr2d
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2011, 08:11:15 PM »
Gutbucket on here uses the dr2 and a slew of fellas on here are gaga over the m10, probably for good reason.
The roland I haven't heard of anyone using.
Is your budget topped out with the m10?
MILAB VM-44 Classic~> Silver T's~> Busman PMD660
News From Phish: Will tour as opening act for Widespread Panic for Summer
hahaha never happen, PHiSH is waaaaayyyy better the WSP

They both ain't got nothing on MMW... Money spent wisely if you ask me...

FYI, it is a kick ass recording of a bunch of pretend-a-hippies talking.

Offline daspyknows

• Complaint Dept.
  • Trade Count: (1)
  • Don't ask, don't tell, don't get get caught
« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2011, 12:42:13 AM »
I'm finally going to upgrade from minidisc and am torn between these 3, although leaning towards the Sony PCM-M10

I've read that the Roland R-05 is comparable to the Sony PCM-M10 (and it's much cheaper here in the UK), is that the case? I'm also not sure if the Roland has line out.

The Tascam DR2d looks interesting but opinions seem to be mixed. Am I right in thinking that although it records two files (one at a lower volume) you cannot adjust the record level while recording?

Very grateful for any comments.

I use a DR-2D.  There are things I really like about it and others that I like less so.  I previously had a DR100 so I am very comfortable with look and feel which is great when stealthing.  You can set volume, but you cannot adjust right and left volume.  Not a big deal as thats what Soundforge or Audacity or other software is for. Since I use line level inputs with Schoeps MK4s and an NBox I have not used the dual mode.  Battery life with reglar AA's was disappointing but using Energizer Lithiums I have had no problems.   

Offline sunjan

• Taping since 1988, 28 years of fine recordings...
    • Just a handful of stuff I put on etree
« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2011, 03:52:04 AM »
Not sure for what application you'd need a line out, offering patches maybe?
It does have line-in, if that's what you meant. According to the specs, it can't accept as hot signal as the R-09HR (or M10), but that might not be an issue for you, depending on what you put in front.
Build quality of the R-05 is supposedly more plastic, although I haven't held any in my hands. Shorter battery life than M10, but that goes without saying.
Mics: A-51s LE, CK 930, Line Audo CM3, AT853Rx (hc,c,sc),  ECM 121, ECM 909A
Pres: Tinybox, CA-9100, UA5 wmod
Recorders: M10, H116 (CF mod), H340, NJB3
Gearbag: High Sierra Corkscrew
MD transfers: MZ-RH1. Tape transfers: Nak DR-1
Photo rig: Nikon D70, 18-70mm/3.5-4.5, SB-800

Offline tom.lac

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2011, 05:48:29 AM »
Hi
I use a Roland R-05 which is my first gear so I am still a newby...
R-05 was cheaper than a M-10, about 180€ in France.
It is built in plastic but I take care of it.
No line out, just a small USB plug that seems to be a bit slow when transfering large files.
Line-in and mic input on a 3.5 jack.
Battery life is OK, I have seen 2 shows (about 4hours) and I think I can still use the same batterries for more than 4 hours more.

Hope it can help you

Tom

Offline earmonger

• Taperssection Member
  • 20-20000 Hz
« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2011, 02:13:40 PM »
As a recovering MD user myself, I can tell you that the PCM-M10 interface will feel pretty  familiar--but with better display--and the battery life is glorious. 

The 3.5mm headphone jack is switchable to line-out--in fact it is labeled Line Out--but I have only used it for headphones.

No recording level on the remote, but you can't have everything. It's a shame about Euro prices--maybe a friend is traveling to the US?

Offline Erick del Valle

• Taperssection Regular
  • what about this pair of stealthy mics?
« Reply #6 on: February 24, 2011, 02:29:30 PM »
I vote for the m10 I love it, I still have the originals batteries in, maybe two months A lot of recordings with the same batteries!

Saludos!
Erick del Valle
Santiago de Chile
Erick del Valle
Santiago de Chile

Offline Teen Age Riot

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #7 on: February 24, 2011, 03:01:16 PM »
The most obvious difference between the three is that the Tascam is a 4-track.
If you don't need 4 tracks, I would probably get the Sony.

Offline Shaun

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #8 on: February 25, 2011, 03:27:55 AM »
Many thanks for all your advice. I think I'm going to with the PCM-M10 even though it's right at the top of my budget.

Offline stantheman1976

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #9 on: February 25, 2011, 11:36:06 PM »
I was trying to decide between the M10 and DR-2d since I already own a D50 and decided to go with the Tascam.  The M10 has much better battery life obviously but the dual record mode on the Tascam is really attractive and I also decided if I was going to have fixed internal mics I wanted cardioid instead of omni.

Offline Shaun

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #10 on: February 28, 2011, 09:42:22 AM »

I use a DR-2D. You can set volume, but you cannot adjust right and left volume.  Not a big deal as thats what Soundforge or Audacity or other software is for. Since I use line level inputs with Schoeps MK4s and an NBox I have not used the dual mode. 

Sorry if I'm being stupid but does that mean can't adjust the overall record level during recording? You have to stop recording, adjust the record level, then start recording again? btw I'll only be using external mics going line in, so not fussed about the internal mics.
It's just that at £100 less than the PCM-M10 the DR-2D is very tempting.

Offline stantheman1976

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #11 on: February 28, 2011, 11:42:42 AM »

I use a DR-2D. You can set volume, but you cannot adjust right and left volume.  Not a big deal as thats what Soundforge or Audacity or other software is for. Since I use line level inputs with Schoeps MK4s and an NBox I have not used the dual mode. 

Sorry if I'm being stupid but does that mean can't adjust the overall record level during recording? You have to stop recording, adjust the record level, then start recording again? btw I'll only be using external mics going line in, so not fussed about the internal mics.
It's just that at £100 less than the PCM-M10 the DR-2D is very tempting.

No, it means you can't adjust each channel independently.  You can raise or lower the volume while recording but it affects both channels.  AFAIK, the M10 is the same way.  I know the D50 is and the M10 has the same type of level knob.

I've had the DR-2d for a relatively short time but it seems like a very decent unit.  It will go through batteries faster than the M10 but with a decent set of rechargables or lithium batteries you'll be fine for most normal shows.

Offline Shaun

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #12 on: March 03, 2011, 08:29:41 AM »
Many thanks for all you help and advice. I've gone with the PCM-M10.

Offline Dubdom

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #13 on: March 03, 2011, 09:03:18 AM »
I think you'll be very satified with it - I have been very impressed. I am in the UK and got one. Pink noise systems had an offer. Amazon's always worth a look and then there's BHP in NY.

Offline Shaun

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #14 on: March 03, 2011, 09:33:16 AM »
Yes, I got one from Pink Noise. Very good price for UK and very speedy service. Ordered it Tuesday afternoon arrived Wednesday morning!

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.104 seconds with 39 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com