Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: to equalize or not? how to get started?  (Read 6119 times)

Offline TimeBandit

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Taperssection Regular
Re: to equalize or not? how to get started?
« Reply #15 on: March 26, 2011, 08:01:33 AM »
They way i do with graphical Equalizer is taking a very small curve ( the Q factor set to smallest ), curve set to low volume and "cruising" with it through the whole frequency band while listening. If you reach an area with bad frequencys you really can recognize it.

That ties in to something I wanted to add..

that´s what i meant, usually i use some hard setting of the EQ just to find out the bad areas, on the final master is use as less EQ as i can.

and i use the bass roll-off on the CA-9100, protects oversteering bass and rumbling good during the record... at the older gear i used before with no roll-off feature i did it in post with a low shelv filter set around 60 to 70 Hertz. I can´t tell THE frequency you have to do it´s a bit of experimenting, depending on the conditions where you taped. Even a single location can sound different in case which band plays there or who has the hands on the board.

and protect yourself against mixing to bad, it takes lots concentration of your ears so more then an hour isn´t useful. Save it as a project file in Cubase or similar and trying again after let it asleep for a day is better.
2015 rig: CA-11 -> CA-9100 -> PCM-M10
2016 rig: Sony PCM-M10 + SP-SPSB-4 microphone plug-in power supply +  SP-CMC8 with Low Sens mod
[backup: CA-9100 - Tascam DR-05 Firmware 2.0 + Yamaha Pocketrak W24]
video 2016: Casio EX-100 HS (same as Olympus Stylus1 - but much smaller - japan import not availiable in EU)

Offline ironbut

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Regular
« Reply #16 on: March 27, 2011, 08:06:56 PM »
More fantastic posts by Gutbucket and others here.
Thanks!

Offline Fried Chicken Boy

• Trade Count: (8)
  • Needs to get out more...
« Reply #17 on: March 29, 2011, 09:21:49 PM »
Agreed.  A lot of pertinent info and advice in this thread.

Offline weedwacker

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #18 on: March 29, 2011, 10:03:00 PM »
I personally don't like to eq since my philosophy is you are making an audience recording not a professional one in most cases but as others said all recordings can benefit from some tweaking when done correctly. If I have to tweak I try to tweak for balance like the recording is too sharp add some low end in, the low end is too muddy reduce it and/or add some high end in, stuff like that in general. I let my ears do the decision making.

I think this link was posted here originally so credit goes to whoever did post this first but this is a great chart that breaks down what is where frequency wise which helps greatly in tweaking of audio for the average joe like myself who doesn't do this for a living.

http://www.independentrecording.net/irn/resources/freqchart/main_display.htm

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.051 seconds with 28 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com