Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: 3 foot DIY omni bar  (Read 3589 times)

Offline phil_er_up

• Trade Count: (9)
  • Taperssection All-Star
3 foot DIY omni bar
« on: March 06, 2012, 11:18:26 AM »
Been wanted to run 3 foot split omni on my stand and still be able to put the grace bar on top of it.  Wanted something simple (no screws) and less then 3 feet to fit into the bag.

Went to home depot and bought 3 pieces of PVC tube. White piece for middle mount and 2 black pieces for arms.

I cut the hole for the center mount in the white piece. Then cut hole close the the middle to insert the DPA4060 into the PVC tube. Then cut holes at the end just bigger then the DPA capsule. Then cut straws that fit into the hole perfectly.

Push the DPA4060 all the way thru tube, insert mic into hole, then use straw to secure and mount the mic.

This cost 2.97 cents and took me about 1.5 hours to create it.

Here are pics.

« Last Edit: March 07, 2012, 03:20:42 PM by phil_er_up »
Everyday is a gift. Enjoy each one!
Forward motion bring positive results.

adrianf74

• Trade Count: (0)
Re: 3 foot DIY omni bar
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2012, 12:57:16 PM »
Not sure if I know how to post picture. The insert pics is only an html tag not a open folder directory to upload to TS.
Any suggestions on how to upload pics?

I'd like to see the pictures as I run 4061's and will want to have some sort of mount for my stand come outdoor festival season.

Google "Image Hosting" and find one of those sites.  Upload your pic there and then copy the appropriate -- your pic link here -- code and you're all set.

Offline Cheesecadet

• Trade Count: (21)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • http://db.etree.org/cheesecadet
« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2012, 11:38:23 PM »
I made something similar a couple years ago and have modified it a couple times since.  Finally I am happy with what I've created.  I don't do a full 3' split, but kept mine at 66cm spread, whatever that equates to.  I basically tried all different lengths and settled on 68cm since that is what seemed to sound the best to me.

I used 1/2" HPVC pipe, 1/2" HPVC 45* Street Connectors, PVC Caps, And A Bic Pen.  I cut the desired pipe length, added the 45* connectors to each end, capped off the street connectors.  Drilled a hole into each cap through the back of the HVC pipe at a 45* angle.  Then I cut a Bic pen in half and inserted it through both sides where I had drilled the holes.  This makes threading the 4061s very easy and also allows for a little nub to affix windscreens easily if need be.

Then I got a can of black plastic spray paint and that was it.  I'll try and post some pics of mine too when I get some time.
« Last Edit: March 09, 2012, 12:21:03 PM by Cheesecadet »
AKG 481's, DPA 4061's (Matched), AT ES933's w/ AT853-ELE's (SC/C/O), ECM-19B's, MixPre-3, A10, M10 x 2, Hi Ho Silvers, Various Darktrain & GAKables

Vinyl:
Fluance RT83 Reference > MCS 3230 Receiver > Realistic MC-500's (NOS)

Upcoming:
05/04 Harry Mack (?)
05/10 Adam Bodine Quartet
06/07 Bill Frisell Trio
06/08 Common
06/19 Sensational Barnes Brothers
06/20 Adam Bodine Quintet
07/19 Chali 2na & Cut Chemist
07/30 Tomorrows Bad Seeds

adrianf74

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2012, 07:36:02 AM »
I made something similar a couple years ago and have modified it a couple times since.  Finally I am happy with what I've created.  I don't do a full 3' split, but kept mine at 66cm spread, whatever that equates to.  I basically tried all different lengths and settled on 66cm since that is what seemed to sound the best to me.

I used 1/2" HPVC pipe, 1/2" HPVC 45* Street Connectors, PVC Caps, And A Bic Pen.  I cut the desired pipe length, added the 45* connectors to each end, capped off the street connectors.  Drilled a hole into each cap through the back of the HVC pipe at a 45* angle.  Then I cut a Bic pen in half and inserted it through both sides where I had drilled the holes.  This makes threading the 4061s very easy and also allows for a little nub to affix windscreens easily if need be.

Then I got a can of black plastic spray paint and that was it.  I'll try and post some pics of mine too when I get some time.

Definitely interested in seeing some pics.   I was gonna buy a bar from Sound Professionals but it got me to thinking; I don't need to bend the thing, EVER, so why not make something?   

Thanks.

Offline flipp

• resident curmudgeon
  • Trade Count: (17)
« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2012, 12:25:02 PM »
Been wanted to run 3 foot split omni on my stand and still be able to put the grace bar on top of it.  Wanted something simple (no screws) and less then 3 feet to fit into the bag.

Went to home depot and bought 3 pieces of PVC tube. White piece for middle mount and 2 black pieces for arms.

I cut the hole for the center mount in the white piece. Then cut hole close the the middle to insert the DPA4060 into the PVC tube. Then cut holes at the end just bigger then the DPA capsule. Then cut straws that fit into the hole perfectly.

Push the DPA4060 all the way thru tube, insert mic into hole, then use straw to secure and mount the mic.

This cost 2.97 cents and took me about 1.5 hours to create it.

Here are pics.

Not sure if I know how to post picture. The insert pics is only an html tag not a open folder directory to upload to TS.
Any suggestions on how to upload pics?

http://taperssection.com/index.php?topic=2571.0
I recommend off-site hosting. I  haven't tried attaching images so don't know how well that works though lots of other folks seem to have no problem with that method.

Offline Fried Chicken Boy

• Trade Count: (8)
« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2012, 04:09:22 PM »
Nicely done and you can't beat the price.  Tapers seem to get a lot of mileage out of that PVC tubing.  :)

Offline Cheesecadet

« Reply #6 on: March 09, 2012, 12:05:02 PM »
So took some pics of the way I did it too in case anyone cares.  After toying around with different setups I liked this the best.  The best part is that if I want to run different configurations I just cut different lengths of HPVC into DIN, NOS, etc. and I can add different end caps to fit my AT853s perfectly.  Although I usually do run the DPA4061s spaced 68cm (2'3").

BTW, didn't mean to hijack thread, just thought since we were doing something similar it might be good to see other options!  :)

« Last Edit: March 09, 2012, 12:20:37 PM by Cheesecadet »
AKG 481's, DPA 4061's (Matched), AT ES933's w/ AT853-ELE's (SC/C/O), ECM-19B's, MixPre-3, A10, M10 x 2, Hi Ho Silvers, Various Darktrain & GAKables

Vinyl:

Upcoming:
05/04 Harry Mack (?)
06/07 Bill Frisell Trio
06/08 Common

Offline Fried Chicken Boy

• Trade Count: (8)
« Reply #7 on: March 09, 2012, 12:58:22 PM »
Very cool.  What are those pieces on the ends that actually hold the mics?

Offline Cheesecadet

« Reply #8 on: March 09, 2012, 01:09:49 PM »
Bic pen cut in half

Vinyl:

Upcoming:
05/04 Harry Mack (?)
06/07 Bill Frisell Trio
06/08 Common

Offline bryonsos

• Omni addict
  • Trade Count: (28)
  • If it's important, tell me to write it down.
    • LMA uploads
« Reply #9 on: March 09, 2012, 01:16:14 PM »
So took some pics of the way I did it too in case anyone cares.  After toying around with different setups I liked this the best.  The best part is that if I want to run different configurations I just cut different lengths of HPVC into DIN, NOS, etc. and I can add different end caps to fit my AT853s perfectly.  Although I usually do run the DPA4061s spaced 68cm (2'3").

BTW, didn't mean to hijack thread, just thought since we were doing something similar it might be good to see other options!  :)

Sexy!
Mics: 3 Zigma Chi HA-FX (COL-251, c, h, o-d, o-f) / Avenson STO-2 / Countryman B3s
Pres: CA-Ugly / Naiant Tinyhead / SD MixPre
Decks: Roland R-44 / Sony PCM-M10
GAKables
Dead Muppets

My recordings LMA / BT / TTD

Offline F.O.Bean

• Team Schoeps Tapir that
  • Trade Count: (126)
  • Taperus Maximus
    • MediaFire Recordings
« Reply #10 on: March 12, 2012, 11:43:42 PM »

Sexy!
Schoeps MK 4V & MK 41V ->
Schoeps 250|0 KCY's (x2) ->
Naiant +60v|Low Noise PFA's (x2) ->
DarkTrain Right Angle Stubby XLR's (x3) ->
Sound Devices MixPre-6 & MixPre-3

http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/diskobean
http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/Bean420
http://bt.etree.org/mytorrents.php
http://www.mediafire.com/folder/j9eu80jpuaubz/Recordings

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.089 seconds with 35 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com