Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: 4 tracks or more?  (Read 2278 times)

Offline randelph

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Newbie
4 tracks or more?
« on: July 24, 2012, 12:24:35 AM »
I'm familiar with the Zoom H4n, Roland R-26 and Tascam d-40.  Are there others out there in the under $500 range?  How do these 3 compare?

The basic requirements overall that i'm looking for:
1. Records at least 4 tracks at once (two channels from the board, 2 channels using built-in mics or outboard mics)
2. Powers electret mics using the 1/8" mic input (want to record with in ear binaural condensers like the Roland CS-10EM)
3. Records music well in small to large rooms using the onboard mics
4. The onboard and external mics can handle high volume

I tape a lot, from music jams in rooms large and small, to drum jams outdoors.  Once I get a recorder that can supply power to earbud style condenser mics, I'll be recording a whole lot more!  But it just seems silly not to have at least 4 tracks to record with- the board mix is a good starting point, but getting the room ambience is cool too.

thanks-

Offline Gutbucket

• record > listen > revise technique
  • Trade Count: (16)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • "Better to love music than respect it" ~Stravinsky
Re: 4 tracks or more?
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2012, 04:38:33 PM »
Add the Tascam DR2d.  Can be found for near $100 some places these days.

External inputs to the two stereo 3.5mm input jacks- one mic input with PIP (plug in power), the other line input- are up to high-quality recording standards. Can't vouch for the quality of the internal mics as I never use them outside of recording a few sessions of acoustic guitar practice.  They are cardioids and way better than the omnis in the original R-09 which was the handheld the DR2d recorder replaced for me specifically for doing quality 4 channel in as small a recorder as possible.

musical volition > vibrations > voltages > numeric values > voltages > vibrations> virtual teleportation time-machine experience
Better recording made easy - >>Improved PAS table<< | Made excellent- >>click here to download the Oddball Microphone Technique illustrated PDF booklet<< (note: This is a 1st draft, now several years old and in need of revision!  Stay tuned)

Offline randelph

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2012, 07:30:32 PM »
 :D Wow, thanks, I have never heard of the DR-2d, and I didn't realize the R-09's mics are omni!  More often than not the quality of recording from the R-09's built-in mics is not very good.

Plus the DR-2d has an included wireless remote, has an optional battery pack and is way cheaper than any other 4 track I've seen.  Now it'd be good to hear how worthwhile the onboard mics are.

Note however the mics on the DR2d are omni as well:
http://www.soundonsound.com/sos/dec10/articles/tascam-dr2d.htm
« Last Edit: July 25, 2012, 07:40:24 PM by randelph »

Offline Gutbucket

• record > listen > revise technique
  • Trade Count: (16)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • "Better to love music than respect it" ~Stravinsky
« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2012, 07:43:18 PM »
Check out the DR2d threads here for the skinny on it.  The early power hunger issue was fixed with a firmware update.  I really dig it. Works great for the price and size, but it's not the end-all-be-all 4 channel machine.  For instance, you can't adjust the line-input gain while recording, and it can't accept a very hot input like more professional grade machines. The remote rocks, and works even when hold is engaged, locking all buttons on the unit.
musical volition > vibrations > voltages > numeric values > voltages > vibrations> virtual teleportation time-machine experience
Better recording made easy - >>Improved PAS table<< | Made excellent- >>click here to download the Oddball Microphone Technique illustrated PDF booklet<< (note: This is a 1st draft, now several years old and in need of revision!  Stay tuned)

Offline randelph

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #4 on: July 26, 2012, 12:32:14 AM »
Yeah, the Tascam RD2d looks pretty amazing for the price!  From the reviews I've read so far, it sounds like the onboard mics are very decent.

Have also been researching the Zoom H2n.  It also will do 4 track recording, though it's functionality as a 4 tracker is somewhat limited cause you can't set the external and internal levels independently, and apparently it only uses the side microphones when recording with the external input.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.054 seconds with 29 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com