Gear / Technical Help > Cables

Custom cables, to techflex or not to techflex?

<< < (2/5) > >>

IMPigpen:
I actually techflexed all my XLR cables in pairs not too long again.  Like Gutbucket pointed out, it just makes setup and breakdown a lot easier and the bag cleaner.  I actually used split opening Techflex F6 which allowed me to not have to remove the XLR connectors on one end and snake the cables through.  And since I secured each end with some electrical tape, I can just remove the electrical tape and take the cables out if I need them separate.

It was a simple process too with the little tool they have to feed it in for a few bucks.  I left a foot or so out on the recorder ends and 18 inches on the mic end so no strain on the connectors either.  They curl up pretty small the the techflex doesn't open up.  One pair of mine are Mogami which are on the thicker side and it curls up about the same as when I had them separate.

Here's a link to what I used if you are interested (and I have no affiliation with them!) :)

https://www.techflex.com/general-purpose/flexo-f6

heathen:

--- Quote from: ycoop on September 26, 2018, 02:13:19 PM ---^ I’m looking at a GAK cables XLR snake. Judging from pictures the XLR cables themselves are pretty thin. Anyone have experience with his snakes want to contribute?

--- End quote ---

I have a set of GAK cables.  They're XLR cables techflexed together.  Top notch work...highly recommended.

Gutbucket:
The GAK cables I have are older, but are made from the "typical-custom-taper-style" mil-spec silver coated copper cables stock, which is thin with a white PTFE jacket.  It's not a snake but a standard 2-channel cable with black techflex and RA XLRs, chopped at one end.That cable stock is thin but relatively rigid given its diameter.  It has more shape memory and kink-potential than standard fatter rubber-jacketed microphone cable, but handles pretty well as long as you coil it right, which I do anyway. I've seen others which are coiled super tight and retain more of a slinky configuration.  It's a well made cable which has served me well for years.

Gutbucket:
While we are talking Techflex- Anyone ever use the Flexo Noise Reduction type?

https://www.techflex.com/specialty/flexo-noise-reduction

Description- "NR is used in body wiring harnesses, instrument panel and lighting wiring, cable & hose assemblies, and other limited access applications where noise reduction is desirable." "The special construction suppresses noise from loose harnesses moving against body or dash panels. F6 Quiet also has a soft and flexible feel, reminiscent of an old style cotton loom.."

Comfort and low handling noise are the key aspects for this application.

The intended application is primarily re-sheathing small-diameter coax microphone cable which has failing cable jackets.  These are integrated cables on DPA 4060 microphones that are working fine except the cable jackets are failing and breaking away. They've become stiff and cracked, and the jacket is now flaking off in chunks.  The rigidity of the remaining jacket portions adjacent to the more flexible areas without any jacket creates flex-stress points.  Yet if all of the old jacket were to be stripped away, the spiral-wrapped shielding/ground would be exposed and fray.  I'm thinking to use the thinnest 1/8" diameter version of this texflex as a replacement cable jacket.

Secondarily, I may get some of the same in a slightly larger diameter to bundle the last few feet of feet 4 of these re-jacketed cables together.  I currently use standard Techflex for that now, but the quieter handling, softer feel and possibly more flexible nature of this version should be a better fit for that as well.

heathen:

--- Quote from: Gutbucket on September 26, 2018, 01:07:21 PM ---I don't particularly like the taped or heat-shrunk every few feet method of bundling

--- End quote ---

I put this together last night and immediately regretted it.  Time to order the techflex that can be put on after-the-fact  :facepalm:

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version