Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Poll

A quick question for those Neumann/Schoeps/MBHO/JK Labs users...how often do you use your active cable setup?

Every show
28 (77.8%)
Sometimes...depends on how low profile I wanna be
5 (13.9%)
Rarely
1 (2.8%)
Never...full bodies or nothing!
2 (5.6%)

Total Members Voted: 36

Author Topic: Active cable use %  (Read 6523 times)

Offline Nick Graham

• Amorican
  • Trade Count: (3)
  • Needs to get out more...
Active cable use %
« on: July 14, 2004, 04:06:39 PM »
So far I've used the lc3 cables pretty much every time I've ran my KM140s, but even with the smaller setup and lower profile, it's kinda nice to just throw up the mic bodies and be done with it.

What's your thoughts/opinions/$.02?

Right now nothing...in the past: Schoeps CMC6, AKG 480, AKG 460, AKG 414, MBHO 603a, Neumann KM100, ADK TL>Schoeps MK4, Schoeps MK2, Schoeps MK41, AKG ck61, AKG ck62, AKG ck63, Neumann AK40, Neumann AK50, MBHO ka200>Lunatec V2, Lunatec V3, Apogee Mini-Me, Oade M148, Oade M248, Sound Devices MP2, Sonosax SXM2>Sony (mod)SBM1, Apogee AD500>D7, D8, D100, M1, R1, R4, R09, iRiver HP120, Microtrack

Offline wboswell

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Don't call what you're wearing an outfit
    • Trey Woodruff on guitar
Re: Active cable use %
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2004, 04:24:48 PM »
I pretty much always use the actives.  Its nice b/c I don't have to look twice to see if I have a true DIN/ORTF/DINA/NOS configuration.  However, I am going to steal escotts audio magic's and start running full bodies when it I can.  I would like to have a little more control over the mic orientation in certain rooms.  Plus, I'll have more cable to work with for situations like I ran into last weekend where I clamped to a rafter.  I would imagine that the nice mic cable sounds better than the kc5's, too.

Offline Tim

• Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2004, 04:43:54 PM »
look at the threads and pins on those things. do you really want to keep screwing and unscrewing them? leave em on.
I’ve had a few weird experiences and a few close brushes with total weirdness of one sort or another, but nothing that’s really freaked me out or made me feel too awful about it. - Jerry Garcia

Offline hzgone

« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2004, 06:33:15 PM »
since i got my schoeps actives i have never ran my bodies.  I love the low profile of the caps and the actives.  It makes it nice to clamp compaired to clamping my TL's
http://db.etree.org/hzgone
http://dead.no-ip.info

AKG 391's>MiAGi-II Silver Cables>V3>VX Pocket V2>Fujitsu 2110

on hiatus, semi retired, injured reserve, got hitched, had 2 kids, broke as hell, & my life is over patcher stage of life...

jpschust

« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2004, 06:39:58 PM »
i always run actives.

(because i run 4022s :-)

Offline creekfreak

• Retired from taping
  • Trade Count: (1)
  • My Son's School Bus
    • Rochester Groove
« Reply #5 on: July 14, 2004, 08:48:06 PM »
I run my actives when I run my schoeps, of course I don't when I run the TL's :P
It is company policy never to imply ownership in the event of a dildo - We have to use the indefinite article; "A" dildo, never: "YOUR" dildo.
In Tyler we Trust

And isn't sanity really just a one-trick pony anyway? I mean all you get is one trick, rational thinking, but when you're good and crazy, ooh ooh ooh, the sky is the limit!

My Current Rig:2004 Subaru WRX STI, Stage 3, 360hp, 380lb-ft

Offline Chapper

• Taperssection Member
  • Do the chickens have large talons?
« Reply #6 on: July 14, 2004, 09:29:27 PM »
I haven't used standard cables since I got the KM140's.  I'm with Tim, more chance for them to get damaged by unscrewing/screwing them.  Plus saves some space in the bag.   Still like to obtain a different bar for the Neumann caps (KWON??).
Chapper
..Just be glad you live in America,
Relax and be yourself,
Because if you didn't live here in America,
You'd proabably live somewhere else.."
David Lowery

Offline Sean Gallemore

• Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #7 on: July 14, 2004, 09:56:19 PM »
the caps don't come off my 4061s :-p

Offline jacallery

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #8 on: July 14, 2004, 10:19:43 PM »
I always use my actives.  I even keep the actives (without caps) in the Kwon-like bar I use most, DIN.  I even keep
a A20s shockmount on the bar.   I do keep the plastic caps over the end of the actives that screw onto the mk's.
The other end of the actives is always screwed onto my cmc6 bodies, which I have made a padded incasement for
that the bodies stay in.  To the other end of the bodies I run a short XLR >XLR cable to connect to my preamp.
I never see or touch my cmc6 bodies, they stay protected in a pocket (same pocket I store the shockmount,DIN bar &
kc5 cable) and never are removed.   If I need longer cable runs  (rarely) I take the cmc6's out and attach a longer XLR
to either the short XLR or  straight to the cmc6's.  Just have to make sure your cmc6's are protected wherever thy may
be after you stretch your cables. 

just works for me........

callery
schoeps mk41/mk5+cmc6xt>Nagra V (24/96)

Offline Kwonfidelity

• Trade Count: (5)
  • Taperssection Member
  • Press Record!!!
« Reply #9 on: July 14, 2004, 10:50:49 PM »
I haven't used standard cables since I got the KM140's.  I'm with Tim, more chance for them to get damaged by unscrewing/screwing them.  Plus saves some space in the bag.   Still like to obtain a different bar for the Neumann caps (KWON??).
Chapper

Neumann bars are done.  Frank will have them in stock by the end of the month, latest the beginning of August...right in time for the Fall runs...

Anyway, Frank will post something as soon as he has them in his hands.

Thanks for all the patience folks!
Thanks to Joe for lending me his Neumanns in order to fine tune the design.  He'll be the very first to be flying the new Neumann Kwonbar.

DPAs are next...
Southern Recording, Inc.
High Fidelity Audio Capture

Offline Chapper

• Taperssection Member
  • Do the chickens have large talons?
« Reply #10 on: July 14, 2004, 11:19:05 PM »

Neumann bars are done.  Frank will have them in stock by the end of the month, latest the beginning of August...right in time for the Fall runs...

Anyway, Frank will post something as soon as he has them in his hands.
Woohoo...thanks!  I'll be watchin' for 'it!
..Just be glad you live in America,
Relax and be yourself,
Because if you didn't live here in America,
You'd proabably live somewhere else.."
David Lowery

Offline Nick Graham

• Amorican
« Reply #11 on: July 15, 2004, 06:00:51 AM »
Excellent! +T for the new design...and looking forward to using it.
Right now nothing...in the past: Schoeps CMC6, AKG 480, AKG 460, AKG 414, MBHO 603a, Neumann KM100, ADK TL>Schoeps MK4, Schoeps MK2, Schoeps MK41, AKG ck61, AKG ck62, AKG ck63, Neumann AK40, Neumann AK50, MBHO ka200>Lunatec V2, Lunatec V3, Apogee Mini-Me, Oade M148, Oade M248, Sound Devices MP2, Sonosax SXM2>Sony (mod)SBM1, Apogee AD500>D7, D8, D100, M1, R1, R4, R09, iRiver HP120, Microtrack

Offline Nick Graham

• Amorican
« Reply #12 on: July 15, 2004, 06:04:22 AM »
I have made a padded incasement for that the bodies stay in.  To the other end of the bodies I run a short XLR >XLR cable to connect to my preamp. I never see or touch my cmc6 bodies........
callery

I've been storing the km100 bodies in the pelican case Nick Culbreth used before I bought 'em. Works perfectly...a hole in one end of the case to run XLRs to the V3, and another hole in the other end for the lc3 cables to connect to the caps. Works great...

Offline dr.ph0b

• Local Crew
  • Taperssection Member
  • powpow!
« Reply #13 on: July 19, 2004, 12:10:37 PM »
ive always been slightly baffled that people run actives when not stealthing. unless u are clamping on, it really makes no sense, and its got to be better to run the caps rigth on the bodies. arent some active cables un-balanced?  id like to hear some spec'd details of the difference of running a 5 meter cable vs. having the capsule on the body. my gut feeling is that its not the same. 
sold :(  MK4v->KCY->Sonosax SX-M2/LS2->modSBM1->M1
m-s: mk8/mk4v

Offline Joe w.

• esniper
  • Trade Count: (2)
  • Turn JB Up
« Reply #14 on: July 19, 2004, 03:24:07 PM »
Thanks for all the patience folks!
Thanks to Joe for lending me his Neumanns in order to fine tune the design.  He'll be the very first to be flying the new Neumann Kwonbar.

I will post some pics when i get it. Thanks again Robert!

2016 National Champions
five generations with an unlocked door and a loaded burglar alarm

Offline Kwonfidelity

• Taperssection Member
  • Press Record!!!
« Reply #15 on: July 19, 2004, 04:51:13 PM »
ive always been slightly baffled that people run actives when not stealthing. unless u are clamping on, it really makes no sense, and its got to be better to run the caps rigth on the bodies. arent some active cables un-balanced?  id like to hear some spec'd details of the difference of running a 5 meter cable vs. having the capsule on the body. my gut feeling is that its not the same. 

We did some testing a while ago and didn't hear a difference.  These were pure silver cables(Vampire) against the KC5s.  Cable noise is a lot easier to make with the actives.  If you don't know what I'm talking about, set up your rig at home, put on some cans, grab the cables and give them a shake.  Yuck!  Yeah, it does also happen with balanced mic cables but not as loud as actives...
Southern Recording, Inc.
High Fidelity Audio Capture

Offline silentmark

• Shine with or without cherries ?
  • Boat, cucumber, wire ...
« Reply #16 on: July 20, 2004, 02:59:26 PM »
I have made a padded incasement for that the bodies stay in.  To the other end of the bodies I run a short XLR >XLR cable to connect to my preamp. I never see or touch my cmc6 bodies........
callery

I've been storing the km100 bodies in the pelican case Nick Culbreth used before I bought 'em. Works perfectly...a hole in one end of the case to run XLRs to the V3, and another hole in the other end for the lc3 cables to connect to the caps. Works great...

Ditto.

Since getting active cables I haven't run full bodies nor do I see myself doing it again, unless I get those omni caps ...

Any pictures of these kwonbars ?
« Last Edit: July 20, 2004, 03:01:07 PM by silentmark »
Dissent is the highest form of patriotism. - Howard Zinn, not Thomas Jefferson ...

Mics: Neumann AK50/AK40/AK30/AK20(1 for M/S), AKG568eb's (gathering dust)
Decks: R-44 (OCM), Fostex FR2LE (OWM), Microtacker (semi-retired), D8 (retired), D7 (retired)
Pre-amps: Apogee Minime (semi-retired), Sonosax SX-M2 (semi-retired), Oade mod SBM-1 (retired)
Cables: LC3 actives (older lemo style x2), Audio Magic Hyper Conductor interconnects

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J3qrWOOposQ

Offline Lil Kim Jong-Il

• Trade Count: (6)
  • large Marge sent me
« Reply #17 on: July 20, 2004, 04:11:30 PM »
ive always been slightly baffled that people run actives when not stealthing.

I always run the actives.  Mostly because it throws a small shadow and I will be less of a visual obstruction to people behind me.  I've run the sure bar/AT mounts up front but I always feel self concious.
The first rule of amateur neurosurgery club is .... I forget.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.131 seconds with 45 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com