Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Audix Micros?  (Read 6612 times)

Offline super-phat-al

• Vulture Shit, heard of it?
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • I am a real American
Audix Micros?
« on: July 18, 2004, 12:06:13 AM »
So ive looked into these since talking to john kelley.  Ive found that you can't get changeable caps for them.  You have to pick which one you want and your stuck with that cap.  Am i right about this?  If this is the case does create a problem, all i really run right now is cards anyway.  Also John told me they sound a lot like AKG 480s.  Would you agree or disagree?  I would really like to find some tapes.  Im check out some carbon leaf tapes, but if anyone has something in a large venue or outdoor venue id love to hear them.

Offline timP

• Trade Count: (1)
Re: Audix Micros?
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2004, 03:28:24 AM »
Alex, I'll forward you a series of emails I've had with the peeps at Audix and Frank at cascademedia
they do make them interchageable now, and cascade has the caps
also, I have a Mule show I think Nickpicks's pulled that sounds good.
I am very interested in hearing more...

Get some so I can borrow them  :P
« Last Edit: July 18, 2004, 03:31:35 AM by TPoff »
?>FR2LE

Offline John Kelly

• Been a while...
    • The Jokell
« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2004, 03:55:02 AM »
... since talking to john kelley ...

;D

But yeah, you can get the caps by themselves.  I'm going to order a set of cards and omnis pretty soon...
Sennheiser MKH8040st > SD 702
XBL/PSN/Steam ID: thejokell

Offline super-phat-al

• Vulture Shit, heard of it?
  • I am a real American
« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2004, 01:22:21 PM »
... since talking to john kelley ...

;D

But yeah, you can get the caps by themselves.  I'm going to order a set of cards and omnis pretty soon...
damn i spelled your name wrong, i suck at the internet :P

Offline setboy

• Trade Count: (5)
« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2004, 11:53:05 AM »
Alex, I'll forward you a series of emails I've had with the peeps at Audix and Frank at cascademedia
they do make them interchageable now, and cascade has the caps
also, I have a Mule show I think Nickpicks's pulled that sounds good.
I am very interested in hearing more...

Get some so I can borrow them  :P

if you have the time can you  forward me the email 2?

Offline Fryhoffer

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #5 on: July 19, 2004, 03:59:50 PM »
Yeah, I would be interested in the email as well.  I'm considering an upgrade and I was looking at these Micros vs. AKG 391s.  Do the Micros really sound like the 480s?  John's tape from the DMB concert sure came out sweet... noticeable difference from my amazing Rode NT5s.  And, John... what mount do you use for yours?  Also, how easy is it to change caps?
« Last Edit: July 19, 2004, 04:13:24 PM by Fryhoffer »

Offline John Kelly

• Been a while...
    • The Jokell
« Reply #6 on: July 19, 2004, 06:08:21 PM »
Yeah, I would be interested in the email as well.  I'm considering an upgrade and I was looking at these Micros vs. AKG 391s.  Do the Micros really sound like the 480s?  John's tape from the DMB concert sure came out sweet... noticeable difference from my amazing Rode NT5s.  And, John... what mount do you use for yours?  Also, how easy is it to change caps?

I'd put them WAY above the 390s if only for the fact that they're stealthable. 

As for the mount, I have my two standard clips duct taped together inside a windtech shockmount, but I'm going to order a Schoeps A20 soon.  The caps simply screw on and off.

Offline Fryhoffer

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #7 on: July 20, 2004, 12:02:04 PM »
With 480-ish sound, small size, small price, changeable caps... I may pick up a pair of these and trying matching them with a warm UA-5.  Since they have that "AKG" sound and the warm mod was based (at least somewhat) on AKGs I'm thinking they'd make a good couple (threesome?).

John, any particular reason you are choosing the Schoeps A20 over the Audix SMT-MICRO?  I can't find any decent pictures of the SMT-MICRO mount but it looks like a pair of them would work well on a Shure A27M.

Offline ashevillain

• Trade Count: (25)
« Reply #8 on: July 20, 2004, 12:36:18 PM »
You might have a problem with the SMT-MICRO and the A27m getting anything other than XY. I am using AT853's with those Audix mounts and an AKG style tbar...I can get any config I need. With the Shure vert bar and the Audix mounts there is not enough horizontal separation to get anywhere close to 7-8" for ORTF or DIN. I realize the Audix mics are a little bigger than the 853's but it looks as though they still might have the same problem to me...ymmv
cliff

Offline Fryhoffer

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #9 on: July 20, 2004, 01:06:22 PM »
You might have a problem with the SMT-MICRO and the A27m getting anything other than XY. I am using AT853's with those Audix mounts and an AKG style tbar...I can get any config I need. With the Shure vert bar and the Audix mounts there is not enough horizontal separation to get anywhere close to 7-8" for ORTF or DIN. I realize the Audix mics are a little bigger than the 853's but it looks as though they still might have the same problem to me...ymmv
cliff

Very good point, I didn't consider that.  I do have a t-bar as well which is too wide for XY but would probably work well for other configurations.  Thanks for the tip!

Offline Massive Dynamic

• Trade Count: (21)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • 20 years of the best in apocalyptic gothic metal
« Reply #10 on: July 20, 2004, 01:25:59 PM »
Fry, I am also using the Audix 1290 mics.  Before I sold the Audix SMT-MICRO mounts to Cliff, I played around with them for awhile.  You can use the Audix mounts on a Shure vert bar and get ORTF, DIN, and XY, but not NOS.  The mic bodies are about 3.5" and the shockmounts add about an inch more separation from the bar.

If all you are looking for is a good holder, I can recommend the SMT-MICRO.  I can't really recommend them for shock protection, so you might as well use the mic clips that come with the mics.

Ragan
Naiant X-X > SP-SPSB-1 > M10
Superlux S502 > Denecke PS-2 > Hosa MIT-435 > M10

Offline ashevillain

• Trade Count: (25)
« Reply #11 on: July 20, 2004, 01:35:59 PM »
You can use the Audix mounts on a Shure vert bar and get ORTF, DIN, and XY, but not NOS.  The mic bodies are about 3.5" and the shockmounts add about an inch more separation from the bar.

I stand corrected... +T for the info.

Offline Fryhoffer

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #12 on: July 20, 2004, 01:46:46 PM »
Fry, I am also using the Audix 1290 mics.  Before I sold the Audix SMT-MICRO mounts to Cliff, I played around with them for awhile.  You can use the Audix mounts on a Shure vert bar and get ORTF, DIN, and XY, but not NOS.  The mic bodies are about 3.5" and the shockmounts add about an inch more separation from the bar.

Thanks for the info Ragan... what are you using to mount the mics now instead of the Audix mounts?

Offline Massive Dynamic

• Trade Count: (21)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • 20 years of the best in apocalyptic gothic metal
« Reply #13 on: July 20, 2004, 02:05:12 PM »
Well, I've built a DIY mini-vert bar.  I attach the mics to the bar and place the whole thing into a AT8410a shock mount.  Works great for the small size and weight of the micros.  As soon as I learn how to take and upload some photos from my camcorder, I'll post them.

If you're looking to buy something instead of make, the Schoeps A20/A20s mentioned in the other thread seems like the thing, though I've never tried it.

Ragan
Naiant X-X > SP-SPSB-1 > M10
Superlux S502 > Denecke PS-2 > Hosa MIT-435 > M10

Offline John Kelly

• Been a while...
    • The Jokell
« Reply #14 on: July 20, 2004, 02:09:04 PM »
If you're looking to buy something instead of make, the Schoeps A20/A20s mentioned in the other thread seems like the thing, though I've never tried it.

Yeah I'm ordering an A20 soon.  I've found the micros (at least with the hyper caps) sound best in DIN, and it's very easy to set them up this way inside the A20.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.086 seconds with 39 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com