Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Looking to make Low Profile stand setup for full bodied mics...  (Read 2575 times)

Offline nickgregory

• Admitted Jeter Homer
  • Trade Count: (2)
  • Needs to get out more...
    • Hurricanes Insider
I am currently running MG 200s, and I am thinking of trying to make a low profile setup.  I am thinking of doing something similar to the schoeps/dpa/neumann active type setups...I am curious if this seems feasible for a full bodied set of mics. 

I am looking to get some PCV tubing...creating a "T" like the below ascii diagram

----------------------
          l l
          l l
          l l

The "T" portion would fit into a single shockmount (thinking a low pro mount like the schoeps - what diameter with schoeps accept?).  and on the top portion, I will have probably 2 sets of 5/8" screws on each side, which I will be able to attach normal (non shockmount) mic clips to, allowing me to run XY, ORTF, and DIN..and variations of those. 

I guess my question is (1) if this setup would be too heavy to fit into the shockmount "on its side" so to speak, and (2) will I be able to find the 5/8" threaded screws at a normal home depot?  Also any other thoughts are appreciated.

Basically I am looking to get away from the shure bar, at 8410 mounts, to something that weighs less and is lower profile....

Thx.

Nick

Offline dr.ph0b

• Local Crew
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Member
  • powpow!
Re: Looking to make Low Profile stand setup for full bodied mics...
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2004, 09:00:19 AM »
it would be too heavy for the schoeps A20 mount. might work with the A20s which has stronger elastics. dont think there is anyway to make full bodied mics low-profile, unless u can get jklabs to make an active system for them :)
sold :(  MK4v->KCY->Sonosax SX-M2/LS2->modSBM1->M1
m-s: mk8/mk4v

Offline nickgregory

• Admitted Jeter Homer
    • Hurricanes Insider
« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2004, 09:00:43 AM »
so this is probably a dumb question, but do mic clips come in the 3/8-16 size?

Offline nickgregory

• Admitted Jeter Homer
    • Hurricanes Insider
« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2004, 09:01:52 AM »
it would be too heavy for the schoeps A20 mount. might work with the A20s which has stronger elastics. dont think there is anyway to make full bodied mics low-profile, unless u can get jklabs to make an active system for them :)

good to know...thanks...I may actually just continue to use one of the 8410 mounts if I can get this rigged up.  And yes, I agree on the JK Labs route....planning on doing that, just have to get the scratch together...this is my gap fill til then :-)

Offline nic

• Big In Japan
  • Trade Count: (1)
    • half dead batteries
« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2004, 09:20:49 AM »
I'm looking to do the same thing for my MBHOs.
supposedly, the A20 can take up to 19/20mm diameter, same with the Shure lowpro mount(.75")

the water's clean and innocent

Offline nickgregory

• Admitted Jeter Homer
    • Hurricanes Insider
« Reply #5 on: July 19, 2004, 09:22:35 AM »
the 20mm in the shure mount would be tight....the MGs are slightly bigger than 20mm and there was no way the mic would fit in there...

good info though on the scheops mount though....guess it will be more of a weight thing then...thanks!

Offline nickgregory

• Admitted Jeter Homer
    • Hurricanes Insider
« Reply #6 on: July 19, 2004, 09:29:27 AM »
mic clips quite often come with adaptors that will drop you from 5/8 -> 3/8

shows you what I know :), thanks Moke, and others...+T across the board...

Offline Nick Graham

• Amorican
  • Trade Count: (3)
« Reply #7 on: July 21, 2004, 10:28:49 AM »
Whenever I ran the MBHO bodies, the Shure mount was *very tight*...it would work, but it'd almost be more feasible to just carry and store the mics in the mounts (like someone was doing with their 480s) than to have to constantly slide them in and out of the shocks.
Right now nothing...in the past: Schoeps CMC6, AKG 480, AKG 460, AKG 414, MBHO 603a, Neumann KM100, ADK TL>Schoeps MK4, Schoeps MK2, Schoeps MK41, AKG ck61, AKG ck62, AKG ck63, Neumann AK40, Neumann AK50, MBHO ka200>Lunatec V2, Lunatec V3, Apogee Mini-Me, Oade M148, Oade M248, Sound Devices MP2, Sonosax SXM2>Sony (mod)SBM1, Apogee AD500>D7, D8, D100, M1, R1, R4, R09, iRiver HP120, Microtrack

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.059 seconds with 32 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com