Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: SPDIF on motherboard?  (Read 3059 times)

Offline Lil Kim Jong-Il

• Trade Count: (6)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • large Marge sent me
SPDIF on motherboard?
« on: July 19, 2004, 10:41:21 AM »
I'd like to get a new motherboard.  Does anyone know of one that has been verified to have a bit accurate integrated SPDIF interface?

michael
The first rule of amateur neurosurgery club is .... I forget.

Offline mirth

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Les Hommes Savvent Pourquois
Re: SPDIF on motherboard?
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2004, 10:52:22 AM »
Dunno about verified, but the Soyo DRAGON series boards have onboard SPDIF (both coax & optical) which uses the same audio chip as found in the Zoltrix Nightengale...
Governor Jim McGreevey was equally disturbed about the upcoming population increase. "New Jersey cannot support all of these wookies," he said. "For starters, we don't have nearly enough kindbud. At best, we can muster up a Q.P. of some beasties, but we've not a dime-bag more."

Offline nic

• Big In Japan
  • Trade Count: (1)
    • half dead batteries
« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2004, 12:17:53 PM »
Dunno about verified, but the Soyo DRAGON series boards have onboard SPDIF (both coax & optical) which uses the same audio chip as found in the Zoltrix Nightengale...

are you sure its s/pdif IN?
most mobos that have a s/pdif connection are almost always for output

the water's clean and innocent

Offline mirth

« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2004, 12:34:26 PM »
Users' manual for the DRAGON 2 boards (newest edition) shows a SPDIF Coax & Optical in/out.
Governor Jim McGreevey was equally disturbed about the upcoming population increase. "New Jersey cannot support all of these wookies," he said. "For starters, we don't have nearly enough kindbud. At best, we can muster up a Q.P. of some beasties, but we've not a dime-bag more."

Offline firmdragon

• Taperssection All-Star
    • taping blog
« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2004, 01:46:07 AM »
quite a few asus makes mobos for both P4 and AMD mobos that support SPDIF coax in/out.  the SPDIF part is usually an added part that you have to buy seperately.  i believe they use the same chipset as the zoltrix.  c-media based.  try looking into that.

Offline mirth

« Reply #5 on: July 20, 2004, 11:06:06 AM »
the SPDIF part is usually an added part that you have to buy seperately.  i believe they use the same chipset as the zoltrix.  c-media based.

Thats the best part about Soyo's Dragon boards, they give you the SPDIF backplane for free in addition to a media reader which mounts in a 5 1/4" bay.

Offline Lil Kim Jong-Il

• Trade Count: (6)
  • large Marge sent me
« Reply #6 on: July 20, 2004, 12:00:35 PM »
Thanks, that narrowed my search. 

Anyone have a favorite source for barebones systems?  I just need mb/cpu/mem and a new case. 
The first rule of amateur neurosurgery club is .... I forget.

Offline fozzy

• Trade Count: (2)
  • move along, nothing much to see here
« Reply #7 on: July 20, 2004, 12:56:04 PM »
mwave.com will test your combo for ~$9 and they always have competative pricing.
MK 4V > KCY 250/5 Ig (KS 10I)  > VST62IUg > 722

Offline bhtoque

• Trade Count: (3)
  • So much music, so little time.
« Reply #8 on: July 20, 2004, 01:24:33 PM »

Anyone have a favorite source for barebones systems?  I just need mb/cpu/mem and a new case. 

Before you buy, checkout tomshardware.com

They did not like the dragon boards (I was set to get one b/c of the audio too) and there was a review of the audio in a seperate article that said they do not implement it well.

This was a few months back. They always have the best, very current review info.

JAson
MG 200/210/270
AKG c422>s42>Hydra silver interconnects
AKG 391/92/93>MK 90/3 actives
>AM Hyper-Conductors
Studio Projects LSD2>MiAGi II
>Edirol R-4 (Oade T Mod)

db.etree.org/bhtoque

BobW

« Reply #9 on: July 31, 2004, 08:36:13 PM »

Before you buy, checkout tomshardware.com

They did not like the dragon boards (I was set to get one b/c of the audio too) and there was a review of the audio in a seperate article that said they do not implement it well.

This was a few months back. They always have the best, very current review info.

JAson

No matter what, do not rely on the analog section of a Zoltrix or a Dragon MB.

I'll bet the Dragon is bit accurate. The Zoltrix (for $17) is and has same chip.

Offline flipp

• resident curmudgeon
  • Trade Count: (17)
« Reply #10 on: July 31, 2004, 11:45:54 PM »

I'm pretty fond of J&N Computer Systems - http://www.jncs.com  (Note: the website was redone recently and not all links were functional last time I checked so I recommend using their toll-free number) Not the cheapest place around but honest. The sales folks do not work on commission so they don't try to pressure you into something more expensive. They stock from individual components to complete systems. Give them a call, tell them what you're looking for and see what they recommend. May tell you what to avoid as well as recommending something for you. And if you aren't in New York, no sales tax; shipping is a bit more than I wish but you can't have everything.

Once you've talked to them, do some online research. Tomshardware has already been mentioned. Let me recommend anandtech and sharkysextreme as a couple of other places.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.098 seconds with 36 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com