Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Mic config for 4 channels?  (Read 3127 times)

Offline Willie T.

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Regular
  • Namaste
    • My Site (down), well sometimes it is.
Mic config for 4 channels?
« on: July 28, 2004, 01:07:05 AM »
I am going to a show later this week and I want to give 4 channel recording a try.  I would like to run my AT 3035s/UA5 for the front channels, and my AT831s/MD for the rear.  I assume I run the 3035s the same as usual, but what about mic placement for the 831s?  I have 2 t-bars and the shure vert bar.  Thanks.
"Man or woman, if you aren't getting laid, you're being too picky. You just have to find that delicate balance between personal satisfaction and shame." -- Teabag

Offline Brian

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Needs to get out more...
Re: Mic config for 4 channels?
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2004, 02:24:38 PM »
is the MD your only recording device?  no need to make 2 seperate 2track recordings.  run the at831's into the rca line input in the back of teh UA5 and your main AT's in the front and run the ua5 into the recorder.

as for configs.  try running your main AT's wide like DIN or ORTF or NOS or even PAS and run the 831's XY pointed at the stage.  this is just one idea and probably the way i'd do it the first time around.

levels: run the main AT's at a higher level than the 831s.

good luck and let us know what you decided to do and how it turned out!

Brian

jpschust

« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2004, 02:32:05 PM »
dude why arent you running your good mics?

Offline Kwonfidelity

• Trade Count: (5)
  • Taperssection Member
  • Press Record!!!
« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2004, 03:20:22 PM »
Are you mixing in post and trying to sync the 2-2tracks together?
Southern Recording, Inc.
High Fidelity Audio Capture

Offline bhtoque

• Trade Count: (3)
  • So much music, so little time.
« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2004, 03:27:52 PM »
With the ua-5 definately run the 2 sets to 2track on the fly. Much less trouble than trying to sync in post.

I like outrigger omni's stage lip.

JAson
MG 200/210/270
AKG c422>s42>Hydra silver interconnects
AKG 391/92/93>MK 90/3 actives
>AM Hyper-Conductors
Studio Projects LSD2>MiAGi II
>Edirol R-4 (Oade T Mod)

db.etree.org/bhtoque

Offline Kwonfidelity

• Trade Count: (5)
  • Taperssection Member
  • Press Record!!!
« Reply #5 on: July 28, 2004, 03:36:41 PM »
With the ua-5 definately run the 2 sets to 2track on the fly. Much less trouble than trying to sync in post.

I like outrigger omni's stage lip.

JAson

That's what I was getting at.  The only way you can see any advantage on running 4 mics is if you can sync it correctly, and that can only be done with tc or a rig capable of capturing 4 channels simultaneously.  You can sync 2-2tracks in post all you want, but you won't get any true representation of the two different sources you decide to run (ie hyper/card, omni/card, hyper/omni, etc).  You might as well just run two sets and with a delay and phasing you can get whatever sound you want to represent (essentially how "black box" surround set-ups are designed to conrol polar patterns).

With th at said, if you are running 4 channels simulatenously on the fly, or running a 4channel sync'd rig, I've had many, many successes with the following setups:

cards - 20cm/90deg
omnis - 45cm/90deg

cards - 20cm/90deg
hypers - 17cm/90deg

hypers - 17cm/90deg
omnis - 30cm/90deg

hypers - 30cm/90deg
omnis - 45cm/90deg

cards - 17cm/110deg
omnis - 30cm/90deg

Good stereo images with all of the above with the first listed being the predominant level in the recordings.

If you can capture it in 4 individual tracks simultaneously (ie DIGI02 Rack, etc) you can have limitless fun in post.
Southern Recording, Inc.
High Fidelity Audio Capture

Offline Willie T.

• Taperssection Regular
  • Namaste
« Reply #6 on: July 28, 2004, 05:40:35 PM »
I run my UA5 with the laptop, I wonder if i can run 831s in via the onboard sound card, and record all 4 channels at once.   Thanks for all the suggestions, +t's all around.
"Man or woman, if you aren't getting laid, you're being too picky. You just have to find that delicate balance between personal satisfaction and shame." -- Teabag

Offline Brian

« Reply #7 on: July 28, 2004, 05:45:04 PM »
dude, read the posts.... run all the mics into the UA5 831s in back 3035s in front.  digi out of the ua5>lappy

4 channels recorded at once..... the easy way. doing it any other way the two seperate signals won't be synched.  you just need to get cables to run the 831s into the rca ins of the UA5.

good luck, make it simple on yourself, and +t backatcha.
« Last Edit: July 28, 2004, 05:47:26 PM by S_TL-Taper »

Offline Willie T.

• Taperssection Regular
  • Namaste
« Reply #8 on: July 28, 2004, 05:47:41 PM »
dude why arent you running your good mics?

they are on a long term loan to danny right now, and it's only JM/Maroon 5 on friday, nothing to spend large $$ to get back to use

Offline Willie T.

• Taperssection Regular
  • Namaste
« Reply #9 on: July 28, 2004, 05:52:17 PM »
dude, read the posts.... run all the mics into the UA5 831s in back 3035s in front.  digi out of the ua5>lappy

4 channels recorded at once..... the easy way. doing it any other way the two seperate signals won't be synched.  you just need to get cables to run the 831s into the rca ins of the UA5.

good luck, make it simple on yourself, and +t backatcha.

I was trying that last night, and it down mixed to two channels , was i doing something wrong?  I will give it a few tries, and see what happens. 

thanks again

Offline Brian

« Reply #10 on: July 28, 2004, 07:14:36 PM »
OHHH so you want to multi-track! you should have said so in the first place.  i was confused.  that's a completely different ball game.  yes the way i described it it gets mixdown to 2 tracks.  if you want to multitrack you are gonna have to invest in a "interface" for your lappy + a pro-tools-esque program to be able to achieve what you want.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.092 seconds with 35 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com