Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Complete laptop newbie....  (Read 4459 times)

Offline Nick Graham

• Amorican
  • Trade Count: (3)
  • Needs to get out more...
Complete laptop newbie....
« on: July 28, 2004, 05:31:05 PM »
I've read almost all the FAQs both on here and other sites, but have a couple of questions...

As for recording software, is Soundforge 7.0 acceptable? I know it's one of the standard programs for post show transferring/editing/resampling, etc, but is it used for actual in the field recording? Will it do 24/96? I'll be most likely running V3>VX Pocket via SPDIF if that matters.

I recently just sort of "came into" a new laptop, and plan on spending this coming weekend reformating the drive, loading software, and getting it ready for field use. Any tips at all would be appreciated.
Right now nothing...in the past: Schoeps CMC6, AKG 480, AKG 460, AKG 414, MBHO 603a, Neumann KM100, ADK TL>Schoeps MK4, Schoeps MK2, Schoeps MK41, AKG ck61, AKG ck62, AKG ck63, Neumann AK40, Neumann AK50, MBHO ka200>Lunatec V2, Lunatec V3, Apogee Mini-Me, Oade M148, Oade M248, Sound Devices MP2, Sonosax SXM2>Sony (mod)SBM1, Apogee AD500>D7, D8, D100, M1, R1, R4, R09, iRiver HP120, Microtrack

Offline hzgone

Re: Complete laptop newbie....
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2004, 05:36:21 PM »
Sondforge 7 will work for field recording.  For some reason i think the vx pocket is only reliable up to 24/48 i could be wrong about this i'm sure someone else will chime in.  There is a link posted in the archive i believe about setting up windows for field recording.  I will see if i can find the link to it.
« Last Edit: July 28, 2004, 05:38:14 PM by hzgone »
http://db.etree.org/hzgone
http://dead.no-ip.info

AKG 391's>MiAGi-II Silver Cables>V3>VX Pocket V2>Fujitsu 2110

on hiatus, semi retired, injured reserve, got hitched, had 2 kids, broke as hell, & my life is over patcher stage of life...

Offline caymanreview

• Trade Count: (22)
    • shows ive taped  that are in circulation
« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2004, 05:42:03 PM »
if you are planning to do 24/xx then i might suggest using wavelab to record with, since it has auto split @ 2gigs

and the vx pocket WILL ONLY do 24/48 and below, that is it

Offline Nick Graham

• Amorican
« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2004, 05:46:00 PM »
What internal soundcards (preferably w/SPDIF input) would you recommend for 24/96? The higher sample/bitrate is the only reason I'm even wanting to test the laptop waters.

+T for the Wavelab info as well...
Right now nothing...in the past: Schoeps CMC6, AKG 480, AKG 460, AKG 414, MBHO 603a, Neumann KM100, ADK TL>Schoeps MK4, Schoeps MK2, Schoeps MK41, AKG ck61, AKG ck62, AKG ck63, Neumann AK40, Neumann AK50, MBHO ka200>Lunatec V2, Lunatec V3, Apogee Mini-Me, Oade M148, Oade M248, Sound Devices MP2, Sonosax SXM2>Sony (mod)SBM1, Apogee AD500>D7, D8, D100, M1, R1, R4, R09, iRiver HP120, Microtrack

Offline kindms

• Trade Count: (6)
    • The Breakfast
« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2004, 06:37:59 PM »
Well they don't make any 24/96 and up internal cards. The only thing i think that can take that on a PCMCIA bus is either the RME multiface stuff or the Nuendo multiface stuff. In essence the same card system.

http://www.sonicsense.com/rmecards.htm

http://www.sonicsense.com/steinberg.htm

If you have a V3 then getting the full signal(24/96) into your laptop can prove challenging. My understanding is that the V3 only sends 24/96 over the AES connection but I maybe wrong. I do not know if the new optical MOD supports this Bit rate over the optical connection but I am sure some V3 owners could chime in.

Mac users have the Metric halo that is firewire breakout box with an AES connection. There is the UA-5 which does 24/96 over USB but has given some a hassle at this bit rate over USB also m-audio firewire audiophile. For the most part a solution containing the V3 is going to require another piece of HW inorder to get that signal on your Laptop
« Last Edit: July 29, 2004, 06:40:32 PM by kindms »
AKG c426, AKG414 XLS/ST, AKG ck61, ck22, >nBob colettes >PFA > V3, SD MixPre >  TCM-Mod Tascam HDP2, Sony M10
Little Bear tube Pre >Outlaw Audio 2200 Monoblocks > VR-2's

Offline kindms

• Trade Count: (6)
    • The Breakfast
« Reply #5 on: July 29, 2004, 06:45:29 PM »
Also I 2nd and 3rd the Wavelab info.

I have recently found a copy and I am sooo glad I don't have to have the 2hour worry (@24/48) that I used to . I can say that it rarely was an issue but festival taping it is a must.

I recently was taping an almost 4 hour set. I saved the 1st part at 11/2 hours and the 2nd at just 2 hours and Soundforge 6.0e gave me my favorite "File size not supported by this format" or something like that. I quickly switched to .w64 to save but the save process when u switch from .wav takes forever. So I ended up missing about 20minutes before I was able to role again. Luckily I was running DAT back up to fill it in but Wavelab will eliminate this particular stress for you.
AKG c426, AKG414 XLS/ST, AKG ck61, ck22, >nBob colettes >PFA > V3, SD MixPre >  TCM-Mod Tascam HDP2, Sony M10
Little Bear tube Pre >Outlaw Audio 2200 Monoblocks > VR-2's

Offline caymanreview

« Reply #6 on: July 29, 2004, 07:37:50 PM »
il throw th opiton of a firewire 410 for external 24/96 via coax or optical input , can be had for ~225$

Offline creekfreak

• Retired from taping
  • Trade Count: (1)
  • My Son's School Bus
    • Rochester Groove
« Reply #7 on: July 29, 2004, 09:14:08 PM »
if you are using a V3 get a m-audio firewire audiophile, great firewire interface that does 24/96 and can be had on ebay for $150-$175. That is what I am using now.
It is company policy never to imply ownership in the event of a dildo - We have to use the indefinite article; "A" dildo, never: "YOUR" dildo.
In Tyler we Trust

And isn't sanity really just a one-trick pony anyway? I mean all you get is one trick, rational thinking, but when you're good and crazy, ooh ooh ooh, the sky is the limit!

My Current Rig:2004 Subaru WRX STI, Stage 3, 360hp, 380lb-ft

silverbullet

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #8 on: August 19, 2004, 05:08:14 PM »
If you have a V3 then getting the full signal(24/96) into your laptop can prove challenging. My understanding is that the V3 only sends 24/96 over the AES connection but I maybe wrong. I do not know if the new optical MOD supports this Bit rate over the optical connection but I am sure some V3 owners could chime in.

I'm chimming in. I got the a new V3 with the optic out and lappie. I emailed Grace about this. The toslink and coaxial digital connections do output 24/96

Below was my correspondance with Grace ----- also includes some info on simultaneous 24/96 & 16/44.1
----------------------------------------------------------------

> I just got a m audio firewire 410 and I will soon be getting a laptop
> computer so I can take advantage of the 24/96 that the V3 has to offer.

Great!

> What would be the best or correct way for me to connect my V3 to my firewire
> 410? Can I also connect a 16 bit portable DAT recorder to the same V3 as a
> backup source. I don't think the V3 will output a 24bit and 16 bit
> simultaneously. correct?

Well, you have two options for interfacing the V3 to the 410.  S/PDIF or
TOSLINK optical (if your V3 is equipped with TOSLINK output).  You'll
want to set the V3 to the desired sample rate and turn ANSR off for 24
bit recording.  I'm unfamiliar with the exact user interface software
that the 410 comes with, but you'll need to adjust a setting.  Most
likely the unit will have a clock source option.  Either internal with
sample rate choices, or S/PDIF digital input.  Select the S/PDIF as the
clock source.

The V3 cannot output both 24 bit and 16 bit resolution audio
simultaneously.  If you wish to record a DAT source for redundancy, then
you'll have to go 24 bit into the DAT machine.  Your DAT machine will
simply truncate the lower 8 bits to get the 16 bit signal.  This will
obviously be less desirable than recording to the DAT with ANSR, but
will work ok.  If your DAT machine only has S/PDIF input you may be able
to loop the S/PDIF in on the 410 to the S/PDIF out and take it there.
If not, you can use an AES output on the V3 with an adapter.  Hope this
helps.  Please let me know if we can be of any further assistance.

--
Jamie Krapohl
Assistant Design Engineer
Grace Design & Lunatec LLC
www.gracedesign.com

--------------------------------------------------------------

ok, now I need some help. Whenever I close my Vaio lappie it will go into hibernation or shutdown. Either case, everthing stops recording and I don't know how to turn this feature off. I want to close my lappie and still have my Wav Lab recording away.

Offline mirth

• Les Hommes Savvent Pourquois
« Reply #9 on: August 19, 2004, 05:21:07 PM »
Control Panel > Power. There will be a setting for what happens when you close the lid.
Governor Jim McGreevey was equally disturbed about the upcoming population increase. "New Jersey cannot support all of these wookies," he said. "For starters, we don't have nearly enough kindbud. At best, we can muster up a Q.P. of some beasties, but we've not a dime-bag more."

Offline Scooter

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #10 on: August 19, 2004, 05:43:20 PM »
I am working on this issue as well.  With the settings in control panel, and bios settings set appropriately, i still get standby/hibernation mode when I shut my lid (Dell laptop).  WTF?? :'(
MBHO 603a(ka200n/ka500hn) >
R-44, or H120

LMA Recordings

Offline sygdwm

• unknown sleath taper
  • Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #11 on: August 19, 2004, 06:02:43 PM »
i never close my lid while recording. ymmv.
mics: (4)akg c460b(a60,mk46,ck1x,ck1,ck2,ck3,ck61,ck63)
pres: oade m148/edirol wmod ua5
recorders: marantz stock671/oade acm671/fostex busman vintage fr2le

(P.S.: On a threaded discussion board like this one, there's no need to repeat someone's post when you reply to them; everyone can see all the messages in the thread.)

Offline caymanreview

« Reply #12 on: August 19, 2004, 06:57:01 PM »
i close mine alot, always have

Offline mirth

« Reply #13 on: August 19, 2004, 07:20:37 PM »
I have a toshiba & keep it closed to conserve battery life.
Governor Jim McGreevey was equally disturbed about the upcoming population increase. "New Jersey cannot support all of these wookies," he said. "For starters, we don't have nearly enough kindbud. At best, we can muster up a Q.P. of some beasties, but we've not a dime-bag more."

silverbullet

« Reply #14 on: August 20, 2004, 07:16:38 AM »
I am working on this issue as well.  With the settings in control panel, and bios settings set appropriately, i still get standby/hibernation mode when I shut my lid (Dell laptop).  WTF?? :'(

I don't have a dell lappie, but I do have a Dell computer. If still having troubles give Dell customer service a call. I've called them several times on booting issues with my home computers and got problems fixed. Getting an operator quickly on the phone can be a wait. Hope your phone has a handsfree or speaker phone while your on hold but hang in there.
« Last Edit: August 20, 2004, 08:51:59 AM by silverbullet »

silverbullet

« Reply #15 on: August 20, 2004, 08:49:48 AM »
Control Panel > Power. There will be a setting for what happens when you close the lid.

+T and kiss your feet. pah-tu-eee

thanks, I actually did search for this under the help index on the lappie and I feel a bit of an idiot that it's that easy.

Offline mirth

« Reply #16 on: August 20, 2004, 11:21:13 AM »
:) Its all good, glad you got it goin.

silverbullet

« Reply #17 on: August 20, 2004, 05:14:48 PM »
http://www.taperssection.com/yabbse/index.php?topic=14678.0

Got mine at G. Center and the matched the price. Was able to take it home faster that way.

Hey, I love my new lappie and recording 24/96 with Wave Lab but I want to also record 16/44.1 with my lappie also. I can get a line out also from the V3 using the mic out but my lappie doesn't have a line in. It only has a mic in and the signal is way too hot. Besides I get sort of a soft high pitch sound when recording line-in. Is there a good small USB sound card or PCI card with a line in jack. No point in getting fancy with dig inputs because the V3 can't output 24/96 and 16/44.1 at the same time. I've done dual recording 24/96 and 16/44.1 mic in on my lappie and my CPU doesn't even approach 50%. More like 28% on average so I think this is doable.

Reason being, I'd like to give some of the local bands a cd on the spot when the night is over. I was thinking just to record line-in on a JB3 and then do a quick firewire transfer to the lappie. That's what I plan on doing tonight.

Can I get a analog out signal from the FW 410 with only  S/PDIF signal input from the V3? Haven't been able to figure if that's possible.

edti:> oh yeah, almost forgot. I tried converting the analog mic out signal from the V3 to digital 16bit with a AD-20 and the signal output is way too hot for the JB3 even with the gains set at the lowest setting on the AD-20. Come to think of it, I didn't try some Attenuators, AT8202. I'll give that a try tonight.
« Last Edit: August 20, 2004, 05:59:13 PM by silverbullet »

Offline Tyler McGhee

• has developed quite a tolerance...
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • head on down to south park and meet some friends..
    • Piqtu Multimedia
« Reply #18 on: August 20, 2004, 06:35:21 PM »
That is why I use Wavelab...auto-split.  Well, that an the possibility of multi-tracking. 

you can multi-track with wavelab?

i just got a vxpocket 440 and was wondering what program would be best to do a 4 channel sbd/mic matrix....
ADK A-51 TL's /DPA 4061 / AKG e451b > Lunatec V3 optical/spdif out > JB3 (16/48) / VxPocket 440 > Dell Inspiron 8500 (24/48)> WaveLab 5.0

http://www.piqtu.com

Offline mirth

« Reply #19 on: August 20, 2004, 07:08:11 PM »
ntrack

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.092 seconds with 44 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com