Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Sharp 702 mini disc recorder (Microphone recommendation and other questions)  (Read 3707 times)

Offline dave_f

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Newbie
Hello,

I just picked up a sharp 702 mini disc recorder for cheap at a garage sale. Can you recommend a decent microphone for recording live music? I can spend in the neighborhood of $100 - $150. I'll be recording in a small club that allows taping. Music will be jazz and some rock/fusion. If I show up early enough, I'll be able to get a table within 20 feet of the band and set my recording stuff on it for the show.

Any suggestions?

Also, does anyone know where I might find a replacement battery for this unit?

Any other advice for recording with this unit?

The owners manual says "if you want to use a microphone, be sure it is a plug in power type microphone. when a plug in power type microphone is plugged in, the main unit will provide power for the microphone's operation. If a different type of microphone is plugged in, it may not operate properly, or it may cause the unit to malfunction". How do I tell if a microphone is "plug in power type"?

The manual also mentions the ability to record in mono and thereby double the length of recording time available on one minidisc. This sounds like a good idea to avoid having to change discs. Does anyone know if recording in this mode would result in a lower sound quality recording?

Many thanks for your help.

Offline Fatah Ruark (aka MIKE B)

• Trade Count: (11)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • I dream in beige.
    • sloppy.art.ink
If you don't mind spending $230 I enjoyed using my Core-Sound Binauarl mics. They sound okay and are very small. Otherwise soundprofessionals.com has a wide selection of inexpensive mics.

Advice for recording with MD: 1. record in stereo. It sounds much better. 2. make sure you have a flashlight. It doesn't have backlighting. Also make sure the mics can "see" the sound source. Don't put them below head height. Otherwise the sound won't be as "crisp."

You can find a battery for that unit on ebay or possibly minidisco.com

Good luck,
MIKE B
||| MICS:  Beyer CK930 | DPA 4022 | DPA 4080 | Nevaton MCE400 | Sennheiser Ambeo Headset |||
||| PREAMPS: DPA d:vice | Naiant Tinybox | Naiant IPA |||
||| DECKS: Sound Devices MixPre6 | iPod Touch 32GB |||
|||Concert History || LMA Recordings || Live YouTube |||

Offline som

• Taperssection Member
Go check out the mic options at the Sound Professionals (www.soundprofessionals.com). I *highly* recommend getting a battery box that will power your microphones so you can record "line in" vs. "mic in". This will really improve the sound and avoid overloading the built in mic preamp which can result in horrible distortion.

Most of the mics over at SP's are plug-in power mics.

I would avoid using mono mode. Even if the soundsource is mono, there is much more dimension to the recording if recorded in stereo. The more technically-savy folks on this board can explain it better than me.

Have fun!
AT ES943/C's > Church Audio ST-9100 > iRiver H100 (Rockboxed)

Offline dave_f

• Taperssection Newbie
Go check out the mic options at the Sound Professionals (www.soundprofessionals.com). I *highly* recommend getting a battery box that will power your microphones so you can record "line in" vs. "mic in". This will really improve the sound and avoid overloading the built in mic preamp which can result in horrible distortion.

Most of the mics over at SP's are plug-in power mics.

I would avoid using mono mode. Even if the soundsource is mono, there is much more dimension to the recording if recorded in stereo. The more technically-savy folks on this board can explain it better than me.

Have fun!

Thanks for the reply.
I'll browse around on their site. Any specific mics and battery boxes you suggest I look at?

Offline som

• Taperssection Member
I have the SP-CMC8's and like them. The CMC8 and CMC4 seem to be the most popular. The CMC2's might fit your budget better, though. All of the above are cardioid mics, which are more directional. Omni mics in the low prize range have a boomy hollow sound, IMHO. 

As far as battery boxes go, they are all basically the same, with a little variation in size and features. This would probably do you fine:

http://www.soundprofessionals.com/cgi-bin/gold/item/SP-SPSB-1

I personally don't use bass rolloff or level controls on the box. I use a Sony D7 DAT, though....I don't know if bass rolloff would be beneficial with a MD recorder.

Hope this helps!

Offline divamum

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Taperssection Member
I can't offer much on mic suggestions (I'm still figuring out myself what I want to use/like!) but I will say that my first  (and much-lamented since its demise)  MD recorder was a Sharp 702 and I LOVED the recordings I made with it. If I still had it, I probably woulnd't have bothered with the iRiver...  I was heartbroken when it died! 

While undoubtedly you'll get better quality going line-in and avoiding the built-in preamp, I will say that said built in preamp coped well with the operatic noises I threw at it; with a Sony 907 I got some really good recordings.

DPA4060
R09

Offline Rand0mRoll77

• Taperssection Regular
i use the sp-cmc4's and like them alot

you should get them and a battery box WITH BASS ROLLOFF, i think it's very important

you can stream  mp3s from my recording of o.a.r. in chicago july 10th, 2004 here

tell me what you think of the sound quality

http://www.archive.org/download/oar2004-07-10.flac16/oar2004-07-10.flac16_vbr.m3u

Offline Sean Gallemore

1]  the cmc-2 (AT831) and 4 (AT853) have interchangable caps including omnis (what the fuck are binaural mics?), hypers, subs, and shotties.  They are not just cardiods

2]  base roll-off isn't needed with properly powered AT/SP mics

3]  http://www.taperssection.com/yabbse/index.php?action=search

Offline leegeddy

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection All-Star
i use the sp-cmc4's and like them alot

you should get them and a battery box WITH BASS ROLLOFF, i think it's very important

you can stream  mp3s from my recording of o.a.r. in chicago july 10th, 2004 here

tell me what you think of the sound quality

http://www.archive.org/download/oar2004-07-10.flac16/oar2004-07-10.flac16_vbr.m3u

sounds kinda thin. low end and mid bass punch are missing.

marc
"I'm a taper, he's a taper. Wouldn't you like to be a taper too?"
"Mics? What mics? This is my hat."

Offline som

• Taperssection Member
1]  the cmc-2 (AT831) and 4 (AT853) have interchangable caps including omnis (what the fuck are binaural mics?), hypers, subs, and shotties.  They are not just cardiods

You can get the omni, hyper, etc. caps but it costs extra. The actual CMC-2, 4 & 8 models come with cardioid caps.

Offline Sean Gallemore

You can get the omni, hyper, etc. caps but it costs extra. The actual CMC-2, 4 & 8 models come with cardioid caps.

the may be extra ont he 4 and 2 but you may be able to get SP to change them out at no extra cost or minimal cost ie. not $80

and the 8 is the same body as the 6, 10, 12, and 14

taperkat

2 cents -

ran MD-MS722 for years. Have SP BMC-1 mics, now i think they're different... and I run the SPSB-2 box [modified]. Those have always suited me well, I've got a few recordings out here and there, nothing really easy to get to, though :(

try minidisco or eBay for batteries, I picked up 2 new ones (1 for each deck I own) for under $10 each including shipping. Minidisco rocks my socks, though.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.071 seconds with 36 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com