Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Schoeps MK41/CMC6>V3 at Jones Beach 8/14  (Read 2543 times)

Offline ts

• Trade Count: (81)
  • Needs to get out more...
Schoeps MK41/CMC6>V3 at Jones Beach 8/14
« on: August 24, 2004, 12:10:59 PM »
Well I ran my MK41's(Din) without actives and big ass Shure windscreens at Jones Beach into V3 with no HPF setting. My thinking was since the section was good distance behind the board that the 41's might be beneficial and I also decided against using my Nak CM1000's on this night.
I'm not sure about the sound I got. Was using the 41's a mistake? Would card's(NOS) have been a better choice? Are the Shure windscreens too much, as in cutting out highend? The wind was not strong at all, and initially I'm pointing my finger at the windscreens as part of the problem.
Oh yeah, what is the problem. Dark and muddy (boomy) sounding. Or is that just the Schoeps at work? And Andrew, who patched out of me, if you're reading this, please email me.
Thanks, Tony

Offline F.O.Bean

• Team Schoeps Tapir that
  • Trade Count: (126)
  • Taperus Maximus
    • MediaFire Recordings
Re: Schoeps MK41/CMC6>V3 at Jones Beach 8/14
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2004, 12:14:15 PM »
that would be the schempz :P j/k

dunno, i love my 483's at DIN, couldnt be happier actually, couldve been the venue too ya know, its def venue dependent too :)
Schoeps MK 4V & MK 41V ->
Schoeps 250|0 KCY's (x2) ->
Naiant +60v|Low Noise PFA's (x2) ->
DarkTrain Right Angle Stubby XLR's (x3) ->
Sound Devices MixPre-6 & MixPre-3

http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/diskobean
http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/Bean420
http://bt.etree.org/mytorrents.php
http://www.mediafire.com/folder/j9eu80jpuaubz/Recordings

Offline Brian Skalinder

• Complaint Dept.
  • Trade Count: (28)
« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2004, 01:37:41 PM »
I haven't noticed enough of a HF cut with the big-ass Shure w/s to call any of my recordings "dark and muddy".  There's a very slight cut, yes, but I don't find it all that noticeable.  What did it sound like at the venue?
Milab VM-44 Links > Fostex FR-2LE or
Naiant IPA (tinybox format) >
Roland R-05

Offline creekfreak

• Retired from taping
  • Trade Count: (1)
  • My Son's School Bus
    • Rochester Groove
« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2004, 01:57:49 PM »
hmmmm, I would never call schoeps dark, and with the mk41's rarely boomy....where you in a covered section, for instance, at Darien Lake, I hate taping under the tent, the bommy sound in there sucks, and if anything, the 41's will help cut that down
It is company policy never to imply ownership in the event of a dildo - We have to use the indefinite article; "A" dildo, never: "YOUR" dildo.
In Tyler we Trust

And isn't sanity really just a one-trick pony anyway? I mean all you get is one trick, rational thinking, but when you're good and crazy, ooh ooh ooh, the sky is the limit!

My Current Rig:2004 Subaru WRX STI, Stage 3, 360hp, 380lb-ft

Offline JAH

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Member
  • The kids they dance, they shake their bones!
« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2004, 02:19:06 PM »
41's din  would have been my choice  given the equipment used....DIN meaning 17 cm vice 20 for the cards right??? The shures do not make an audiable difference (IMO).  NOS is not very good sounding to me better suited for subcards. I pinged Andrew for ya as he doen't read here too much.  What are you listening on...it may be your playback system.....likewise you can always roll it off in SW to make your system shine, but maybe not someone else's...IYKWIM.  Take an unedited CD to a hifi store or someone who has a very good system and see what it sounds like...I always like to carry my good to the store and use their playback systems...let us know what you find.

peace
jah
Taping, it's a team sport!
km140/150>M148>mme or msbm-1
...yes screwdriver impaired
modified akg 461/2/ck8
iH120...and a slew of dat decks ;-(

Offline AnalogAndy

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #5 on: August 24, 2004, 02:46:53 PM »
Hey Tony,

I patched out of ya @ Jones Beach and gave you a few photos from the night before. You can email me offline at sapphiresound@hotmail.com. I don’t have any comments on the show quality yet. I haven’t given it a fair listen. I'll check it out and we can compare notes.

Andrew

Offline ts

« Reply #6 on: August 24, 2004, 07:08:07 PM »
Thanks all. I don't know what it was. Open air venue at Jones Beach. Little far from the stage. The OTS at Jones is a good distance behind the board. However to my ears it sounded decent. Andrew was patched out of me, so I'm waiting to hear input from him. And he has the same rig, which was unavailable for that show.
Most of the time I use the 41's indoors with actives and cards outdoors. Maybe that's the problem, my ears aren't tuned to the 41's outdoors yet. Sounds like it's not the screens and maybe the mics, prolly not a good choice for outdoor open air recording. 41's seem better suited for under sheds or generally poor sounding venues. My mistake, but that's how we learn.
I do most of my listening in my car, which has a pretty good system. At home mostly on headphones. When the family is out I crank my Klipsch horns, which will brighten things up considerably. The whole recording just seems dark to me. Not muddy, not boomy, just dark. Not bright at all, which is a sound I'm fond of.
Anymore feedback is most welcome.
Thanks, Tony

Offline creekfreak

• Retired from taping
  • My Son's School Bus
    • Rochester Groove
« Reply #7 on: August 24, 2004, 08:10:12 PM »
strange, because I find the 41'sto be brighter than the 4's. I have used them outside when there is no wind and have always pulled good recordings....DINa is the way to go with the 41's, but overall they excell indoors in crappy sounding venues...I have my TL for the outdoor or upclose stuff no.
It is company policy never to imply ownership in the event of a dildo - We have to use the indefinite article; "A" dildo, never: "YOUR" dildo.
In Tyler we Trust

And isn't sanity really just a one-trick pony anyway? I mean all you get is one trick, rational thinking, but when you're good and crazy, ooh ooh ooh, the sky is the limit!

Offline ts

« Reply #8 on: August 25, 2004, 07:34:39 AM »
Now I'm listening to Warren from Jones and definitely a little boomy. Must have been the venue. Too much concrete. I think I'll keep the 41's on the indoor stuff and stick to my Nak CM1000's for outdoor stuff. They sound pretty good NOS.
Now those TL's are sounding like a good move. creek freak were you in Scranton?

Offline creekfreak

• Retired from taping
  • My Son's School Bus
    • Rochester Groove
« Reply #9 on: August 25, 2004, 09:38:49 AM »
nope, wasn't in scranton, did SPAC and Darien
In Tyler we Trust

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.053 seconds with 34 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com