Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: folk music (arrg) - what's the best way to tape?  (Read 3072 times)

Offline vwmule

• Trade Count: (16)
  • Needs to get out more...
folk music (arrg) - what's the best way to tape?
« on: February 05, 2005, 03:27:13 AM »
Some people from work are playing at a house tomorrow night and I am considering taping as a gesture of good will. One of the banjo guitar duo is moving away, you see.  I'm wondering what is the best way to record. I can get as close as I want.  Should I run XY or just AB ?

Offline vwmule

• Trade Count: (16)
Re: folk music (arrg) - what's the best way to tape?
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2005, 11:51:04 AM »
think they'll have small amps, not much.

Offline mmmatt

• taping > photography
  • Trade Count: (3)
  • ... A broken angel sings from a guitar
    • LightCraft Photography
« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2005, 02:02:23 PM »
think they'll have small amps, not much.
I just did 2 acoustic guitars with cards in x/y and about 2-3 ft from the body of the guitars.  The tape came out great.  Closer the better IMO.  If it is just 2 guys and no vox you should just mic the instruments (assuming you can only record from 2 chan) otherwise go with a config.  cards in X/Y work great up close.

Matt
I do think taping is the reality of the business..it is also an impetus for artists to create studio CDs that are ART, not just another recording...    Fareed Haque  2-4-2005

Canon 24-70 f2.8L, Canon 135 f2L, Canon 70-200 f4L, Canon 50 f1.8, > Canon 5D or Canon xt (digi) and Canon 1N (film)

Offline Brian Skalinder

• Complaint Dept.
  • Trade Count: (28)
« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2005, 02:47:55 PM »
A few years back I recorded an unplugged folk trio - two guitars + fiddle, vocals from all three - and set up ~5' back, XY, ~4' up.  Played around a little bit with distance and height to get it reasonably right.  Too close and you won't have blending / balance from the instruments and vocals and you'll hear the players moving back and forth, forward and back as they sway with the music.  Too far and you'll pick up too much room and lose some punch.  Somewhere in between and you'll have nice blending of the instruments and vocals with minimal room chatter.  FWIW.
Milab VM-44 Links > Fostex FR-2LE or
Naiant IPA (tinybox format) > Roland R-05

Offline mmmatt

• taping > photography
    • LightCraft Photography
« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2005, 03:27:10 PM »
A few years back I recorded an unplugged folk trio - two guitars + fiddle, vocals from all three - and set up ~5' back, XY, ~4' up.  Played around a little bit with distance and height to get it reasonably right.  Too close and you won't have blending / balance from the instruments and vocals and you'll hear the players moving back and forth, forward and back as they sway with the music.  Too far and you'll pick up too much room and lose some punch.  Somewhere in between and you'll have nice blending of the instruments and vocals with minimal room chatter.  FWIW.
good point Brian.  +T

Matt
I do think taping is the reality of the business..it is also an impetus for artists to create studio CDs that are ART, not just another recording...    Fareed Haque  2-4-2005

Canon 24-70 f2.8L, Canon 135 f2L, Canon 70-200 f4L, Canon 50 f1.8, > Canon 5D or Canon xt (digi) and Canon 1N (film)

Offline mmmatt

• taping > photography
    • LightCraft Photography
« Reply #5 on: February 05, 2005, 05:23:29 PM »
OK... I did a little critical listening to the 2 acoustic guitar recording I did Wed. night.  I hadn't had a chance to do that yet with this tape... just a "background music" type of listen.  This was Fareed Hague and Goran Ivanovic. 
     I was listening to the soundstage  I have to admit, it isn't ballanced very well.  I was mic'ing up close right between the two guitarists as they sat immeadiately next to each other, and the center part of the image is filled mostly with the sound from the guitar player on the left.  This I assume is because the sound from a guitar comes both off the neck and out of the sound hole.  So the sound coming from the center WAS primarily from the guitar player on the left because that is where the neck of his guitar was located in the physical image.  Standing back a few more feet would have solved this I think.  Good call Brian... live and learn! 
    My end result is the guitarist on the left (Goran) feels more upfront, and the right (Fareed) feels more in the background... Fidelity wise it sounds great but the image isn't quite right.

Matt

Offline pfife

• Emperor of Ticketucky
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • I love/hate tickets.
« Reply #6 on: February 05, 2005, 05:52:31 PM »
onstage, ORTF?

Tickets are dead to me.  Except the ones I have, don't have, and lost.  Not to mention the ones you have, don't have, and lost.   And the ones that other dude has, doesn't have, and lost.  Let me know if you need some tickets, I'm happy to oblige. 

Tickets >>>>>>>> Oxygen

Offline mmmatt

• taping > photography
    • LightCraft Photography
« Reply #7 on: February 05, 2005, 11:04:58 PM »
Well I was going to go ortf, but I decided to do the x/y... I was thinking about the "hole in the middle" if I spread too far, but that may have helped some?  In truth I didn't have much option for placement because of walkways... there wasn't really a stage so to speak, plus they were reading music off a stand that was in the way and you name it.  A different config is about the only thing I could have done differently.  The business ends of my mics were sort of threaded between the mic stands the sound guy was using.  I'm going to try remixing the left and right channels and see if I can recenter the image a bit... I think it is salvageable, but we'll see.

Matt

Offline mmmatt

• taping > photography
    • LightCraft Photography
« Reply #8 on: February 05, 2005, 11:14:37 PM »
  I'm going to try remixing the left and right channels and see if I can recenter the image a bit... I think it is salvageable, but we'll see.

Matt

I think this fixed it... anybody want to loan me their ears to see if I'm nuts?

Matt

Offline Brian Skalinder

• Complaint Dept.
  • Trade Count: (28)
« Reply #9 on: February 05, 2005, 11:56:31 PM »
I'm going to try remixing the left and right channels and see if I can recenter the image a bit... I think it is salvageable, but we'll see.

I was gonna suggest it earlier - good idea!

I'd love to hear it - wish I could've made it to the show!
Milab VM-44 Links > Fostex FR-2LE or
Naiant IPA (tinybox format) > Roland R-05

Offline mmmatt

• taping > photography
    • LightCraft Photography
« Reply #10 on: February 06, 2005, 01:25:58 AM »

I was gonna suggest it earlier - good idea!

I'd love to hear it - wish I could've made it to the show!
OK... I officially hijacked this one I think!  Up until 5 minutes before I left, (I called the venue) I thought it was GIG opening for FHG... Quite the pleasant surprise though.  I made a couple of 4.5 mb mp3 samples of before and after the remix... can I e-mail them to you for an opinion before I finalize?
Matt

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.096 seconds with 36 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com