Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Mac users, 10.4 question (core Audio)  (Read 1727 times)

Offline nic

• Big In Japan
  • Trade Count: (1)
  • Needs to get out more...
    • half dead batteries
Mac users, 10.4 question (core Audio)
« on: May 16, 2005, 08:38:41 AM »
wasnt sure to put it here or in Team Mac geeks...(so I'll put it in both)

I have a new Mini with 10.4. I'm trying to make this my main everyday computer so I loaded various apps and tried to do a dat transfer yesterday. my audio interface is the M-Audio FW Audiophile. yes, I know that officially the Mac drivers are for 10.3.9 and before, but the driver install went without a hitch and the control panel is actually more stable than running it under XP(SP1) - I really LOVE the different views as opposed to the 1 view only in Windows.
anyways, no matter which app I try to record to, DP4.02, Spark2.82, Peak4 or Audacity, I dont have the option to record from the s/pdif input, I can only choose Audiophile 1/2(analog)...I cant even select an ASIO input.

in doing some research on this matter, I found some info that seemed to state that with Core Audio in 10.4 the user and apps are not given an option of sources if the interface has multiple inputs...some sort of limitation of Core Audio. the only app I can find that gets around this is DP 4.52 and that version ONLY works in 10.4...apparently, MOTU and Apple worked togethor specifically to get DP 4.52 to work in 10.4

has anyone been able to record from s/pdif in 10.4? if so, what interface are you using and what app are you using?
I realize I can always wipe and reload with 10.3, but thats a big pain.
« Last Edit: May 16, 2005, 08:46:14 AM by nic »

the water's clean and innocent

Offline nic

• Big In Japan
    • half dead batteries
Re: Mac users, 10.4 question (core Audio)
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2005, 09:37:03 AM »
well, after a little more digging around it appears as if all audio interface drivers have to be re-written for 10.4 Core Audio.
looks like I'll be saving data and reloading with 10.3.7 tonight...

Offline daverinuk

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Regular
« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2005, 09:51:07 AM »
Were you able to record with SPDIF in on 10.3.7 before? It sounds like you went from windows to a mac.
FWIW, I have an M-Audio FW410 and haven't been able to record SPDIF in yet. I never tried under 10.4 or with Spark yet, but with Sound Studio, Audacity, Reason Adapted and Live, I had the same problems you're having under 10.3.x. SPDIF was never an option to record in from.
Just curious before you wipe everything and reinstall 10.3.7 Just saying it might not change anything.
I'm looking into the Pro-Tools M-Powered which is designed for M-Audio, but it doesn't work with Tiger yet. And is $350.
AKG 480's ck61->Audio Magic Sceptor Cables->M-Audio FW410 (Oade Mod)->Apple Powerbook G4

"Songs remain. They last. The right song can turn an emperor into a laughing-stock, can bring down dynasties. A song can last long after the events and the people in it are dust and dreams and gone. That's the power of songs." -Neil Gaiman, "Anansi Boys"

"The blues is the sound a baby makes when it cries for the first time, 'cause after that he knows it'll get picked up and it's all show business." - Arnie Lawrence (1938-2005)

Offline nic

• Big In Japan
    • half dead batteries
« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2005, 09:57:20 AM »
Were you able to record with SPDIF in on 10.3.7 before? It sounds like you went from windows to a mac.
FWIW, I have an M-Audio FW410 and haven't been able to record SPDIF in yet. I never tried under 10.4 or with Spark yet, but with Sound Studio, Audacity, Reason Adapted and Live, I had the same problems you're having under 10.3.x. SPDIF was never an option to record in from.
Just curious before you wipe everything and reinstall 10.3.7 Just saying it might not change anything.
I'm looking into the Pro-Tools M-Powered which is designed for M-Audio, but it doesn't work with Tiger yet. And is $350.

yes, I could record from the FW Audiphile s/pdif in 10.3.7 on our Powerbook.
another reason why I'm dropping back to 10.3.7 is for DP4

Offline greenone

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Russian mics... strong like bull...
« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2005, 10:32:43 AM »
I've used Sound Studio 2.1.1b3 (felttip.com) with an Egosys U2A and an emi 2|6 (both S/PDIF) in Panther and Tiger with no issues so far...probably because it's supported Core Audio since v2.1.
Unofficial Blues Traveler archivist - glad to work on any BT or related recordings
archive.org admin - happy to upload tracked material to the LMA

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.064 seconds with 31 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com