Gear / Technical Help > Battery Boxes, Preamps, Mixers, ADCs, and Processors

minime vs. V3

(1/6) > >>

cpclark:
have to upgrade to a new pre/ad before camden next week, gotta have good tapes for phish and my ad20 isnt cuttting it, whats better for flat frequency respone, the mids are the strength in these mics, with the bass and treble about the same clarity, what would be better, your opinions will lead to my purchase, thanks.

DaryanLenz:
Here is my opinion, and again this is only my opinion!  I find the V3 to be very tight throughout the range. What I really like about it would be the high's and the tight low end, not as pronounced as the mini-me, not even close, but very tight.  The mini-me has a big fat warm bottom end, and if you like bass in your tapes, I would say the mini-me would be the better choice.  If you like a very transparent tape, the v3 would be where to go.  The v3 bottom end just isn't as pronounced as the mini-me's, and yields what I would dare to call a thinner sound than the mini-me.  The mini-me is great throughout the mid-range, giving that warm fat feeling.  I think it';s bottom end is a little too pronounced, but a sound I have gotten use to as I have used it more and more.  If I were to do it all over again I would probably go with the v3, as I feel it has a superior pre in it.  The a/d side I give to the mini-me.  That said, my future plans are to run a v2 in front of the mini-me, which I find tightens things up just the right amount to make the sound a much more pleasing one.  I think the mini-me is more forgiving.  All of this doesn't take into account features, because I evaluate my gear on how it sounds, and I can deal with rest!

Daryan

cpclark:
sound quality is all i care about really, fuck the options, the sound is what your really out to get

Brian Skalinder:
There'll be plenty of good tapes pulled at Camden, so...what's the rush?

First, a question:

What don't you like about the AD-20?  The answer may help steer you one way or the other for your next pre/ad.

Second, the choice is pretty basic:

If you like the sound of your mics and want transparency, go with the V3.  If you like the Apogee sound, go with the Minime.

Third, I'm not familiar with your mics, but you are.  So:

If you don't know which you prefer - transparency or Apogee color - be patient, do more listening, and make the decision based on what your ears tell you.  It may mean waiting til after Camden, but...there will be plenty more shows to tape down the road and you can always pick up a Camden tape from someone else if you're not happy with your recording.

cpclark:
looks like the v3 and its better transparent sound is getting the nod, yeah for new toyz, just totally redid my setup in the last two weeks.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version