Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Burning 24-bit audio to DVD  (Read 5104 times)

Offline tapeworm48

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Taperssection Member
  • I'm running a dojo of coolness...
Burning 24-bit audio to DVD
« on: August 01, 2005, 01:27:34 PM »

If I have a 24-bit recording, can the wav files be burned to a DVD+R using standard software (ie Nero, EZCD, etc.) and played back on a DVD player?  If so, will the playback be seamless?

Or is all this a far too simple way of looking at 24bit playback?

Thanks.
A good friend will come bail you out of jail, but a true friend will be sitting next to you saying, "Damn... We F**ked Up."

Schoeps MK4s / AT831s / DPA4061s
Nbox / Tinybox v1.5 / SPSB-11 / CSbox
M10 / R09 / D100

07/19 Pearl Jam @ Wrigley Field
08/01 QOTSA @ Metro
08/02 Lollapalooza (NIN / QOTSA / Thievery / Band of Horses)
08/15 QOTSA @ Red Rocks
09/23 Arctic Monkeys @ Riviera Theater
10/18 Pearl Jam @ Barclays
10/19 Pearl Jam @ Barclays
10/21 Pearl Jam @ Wells Fargo Center
10/22 Pearl Jam @ Wells Fargo Center
11/15 NIN @ Hard Rock
11/16 NIN @ Hard Rock
12/06 Pearl Jam @ Key Arena

Offline super-phat-al

• Vulture Shit, heard of it?
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • I am a real American
Re: Burning 24-bit audio to DVD
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2005, 01:52:15 PM »
if you have wavelab 5 you can burn a DVD-A with ease.  but you'll need a DVD-A player

Offline The Kilted Taper

• Real men wear kilts.
« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2005, 01:56:48 PM »
Or, if you don't have a dvd-a player, you can use this:

http://www.audio-dvd-creator.com/

very easy to use, and I think it's like $30 - $35
"The guy who's been dissed, dismissed and demoted so often that he should have officially changed his first name to "Backup." "

Offline nickgregory

• Admitted Jeter Homer
    • Hurricanes Insider
« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2005, 01:58:50 PM »

worth every dime as well

Offline The Kilted Taper

• Real men wear kilts.
« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2005, 02:01:30 PM »
I've loved it. I used the trial version to test it out, and bought it within the hour. Love that you can had pictures and text, etc.

"The guy who's been dissed, dismissed and demoted so often that he should have officially changed his first name to "Backup." "

Offline Nick Graham

• Amorican
  • Trade Count: (3)
« Reply #5 on: August 01, 2005, 02:03:59 PM »

worth every dime as well

Ditto - it will make 24/96 discs that will play on ANY DVD player.
Right now nothing...in the past: Schoeps CMC6, AKG 480, AKG 460, AKG 414, MBHO 603a, Neumann KM100, ADK TL>Schoeps MK4, Schoeps MK2, Schoeps MK41, AKG ck61, AKG ck62, AKG ck63, Neumann AK40, Neumann AK50, MBHO ka200>Lunatec V2, Lunatec V3, Apogee Mini-Me, Oade M148, Oade M248, Sound Devices MP2, Sonosax SXM2>Sony (mod)SBM1, Apogee AD500>D7, D8, D100, M1, R1, R4, R09, iRiver HP120, Microtrack

Offline carlbeck

• Trade Count: (14)
« Reply #6 on: August 01, 2005, 03:31:38 PM »
Are you guys getting gaps with it though?? I am, can't figure out why, must be player dependant?
I know you like, tape for people's approval and stuff, and wave your tapes around like they're your dick...  but even you can't actually think section tapes from philips sound good.  

Mics: Telefunken Elam 260, 61, 62, MBHO KA200, KA500 > Niant PFA's, AKG C34L-MS
Preamps: Grace Lunatec V2, Shure FP24
Decks: Tascam DR-2d, Zoom F8

Old rig: Recording: AKG C34 & AKG CK1X or CK2X > MK46 > 460 > Aeta Mix2000 > Sound Devices 702

Playback: Thorens TD125, Denon DVD-2900> Bel Canto DAC-1 > Audible Illusions 3B > Rogue Atlas >ZU Wax Shotgun> Hyperion 938
ALL TUBES BABY!!!

Offline wboswell

• Don't call what you're wearing an outfit
    • Trey Woodruff on guitar
« Reply #7 on: August 01, 2005, 03:35:33 PM »
Are you guys getting gaps with it though?? I am, can't figure out why, must be player dependant?

Its weird with me, b/c I get them once every blue moon.  Mostly never, but every once in a while, I get them, but I can handle it.  The real downside imo is that you can't fast forward and rewind inside the tracks.  Sometimes I'd like to rewind and hear something in particular, but it won't let me...  at least with my 2900

Offline nickgregory

• Admitted Jeter Homer
    • Hurricanes Insider
« Reply #8 on: August 01, 2005, 03:38:28 PM »
I have not gotten any gaps with it yet....whereas I did with wavelab authored discs

Offline The Kilted Taper

• Real men wear kilts.
« Reply #9 on: August 01, 2005, 03:41:00 PM »
No gaps, and I'm 98% sure I can fast forward within tracks. I think a thread on this a while ago suggested burning the image to your HD first, than using a different program to burn to the disc itself to avoid the gaps, but I don't recall. That's how I do it.

I'm just using a 4 year old Sony home theater in-a-box DVD player for now. It's funny cause it won't play CD-R's, but play's the DVD's fine.

Offline kindms

• Trade Count: (6)
    • The Breakfast
« Reply #10 on: August 01, 2005, 03:44:44 PM »
I actually jut burned my first DVD-A's using wavelab this weekend. I went from the generic menus that u get in wavelab with my first and by Sunday I managed to figure out how to add the picture track. I got it so I have different images with each track etc.

I have been having a lot of fun with it to see what it is gonna do. Since I have been making them for me or just a few folks (I will seed the 24Bit FLACs) I have been grabbing killer images from the web and any digi-photos I have of the shows I am making the DVDs for.

I have found it to be a really nice melding of the photography / Taping / Techie as a medium.

To add I had 1 track seemed to pause when playing back DVD-A's on the Toshiba 4960. But after that first disc I haven't heard any hiccups when the tracks switch. I was making sure of it when I added a picture track. I didnt want the photos to cause the Audio to be weird
« Last Edit: August 01, 2005, 03:46:47 PM by kindms »
AKG c426, AKG414 XLS/ST, AKG ck61, ck22, >nBob colettes >PFA > V3, SD MixPre >  TCM-Mod Tascam HDP2, Sony M10
Little Bear tube Pre >Outlaw Audio 2200 Monoblocks > VR-2's

Offline sygdwm

• unknown sleath taper
  • Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #11 on: August 01, 2005, 05:18:08 PM »
I actually jut burned my first DVD-A's using wavelab this weekend. I went from the generic menus that u get in wavelab with my first and by Sunday I managed to figure out how to add the picture track. I got it so I have different images with each track etc.

I have been having a lot of fun with it to see what it is gonna do. Since I have been making them for me or just a few folks (I will seed the 24Bit FLACs) I have been grabbing killer images from the web and any digi-photos I have of the shows I am making the DVDs for.

anyway you could post how you did this exactly in wavelab5 please?
mics: (4)akg c460b(a60,mk46,ck1x,ck1,ck2,ck3,ck61,ck63)
pres: oade m148/edirol wmod ua5
recorders: marantz stock671/oade acm671/fostex busman vintage fr2le

(P.S.: On a threaded discussion board like this one, there's no need to repeat someone's post when you reply to them; everyone can see all the messages in the thread.)

Offline scb

• Eli Manning should die of gonorrhea and rot in hell. Would you like a cookie, son?
  • Trade Count: (11)

Offline kindms

• The Breakfast
« Reply #13 on: August 01, 2005, 06:47:37 PM »

anyway you could post how you did this exactly in wavelab5 please?

Well I followed the instructions that Scott posted above:

I'll add my .02 to the How-To above...

Go to File>New>Audio Montage>choose your sample rate... ( you can change it later by choosing Edit>Audio Properties)

Go to Edit pane>Mode pulldown>Mode DVD Audio

"             ">Fade pulldown>UNselect Create Default Fades In New Clips (keeps WL from putting fades at beg/end of each track)

"             ">Options pulldown>go to Edit Default Pre-gap>set to 0 sec (Keeps WL from putting gaps between tracks)

"             ">Options pulldown>Select Global Auto Grouping (lets you move a track to the right/left and all tracks to the right of

it move in unison)

Go to File>Save Special(montage)>choose Save As Template (so you won't have to go through all this every time)

Right click anywhere in the lower timeline area and choose Insert File(s)...

When you have everything edited the way you want it, Go to CD pane>Highlight DVD instead of CD>Choose CD wizard (magic wand)>I

uncheck adjust pause between tracks>hit apply

{EDITED TO ADD Picture Track)

After all the Audio has been added. At the begining of the Track Pane is a drop down menu. Click on the drop down menu and choose "Insert Picture Track"

Then it Will create a Track under the Audio track where Images can be inserted. If you right click on the Picture Track it gives you an option to Insert Files...

Choose your Photo/s and insert them into the timeline as you want (If your DVD-A player supports it).

It gets a little tricky and you have to experiment a little. If you right click on the inserted photo it will give time in Milliseconds from the beginning of the track.

I noticed that depending on the selected Audio track you have highlighted when adding the photo it sometimes adds the photo to that Track and not the 1.
You wanted to be sure to dbl check it. (it will make more sense when it is in fron of you)

So with the above you can very easily add pictures to dispaly during each audio track or multiple (i havent done multiple yet. just 1 static image per song)

Also a suggestion if you want. Is if you have photoshop or something similar is to take each image per track and add name of track, or band notes etc.

{Back to Original Instructions}

Then Check it by hitting Check (eyeglasses button)

If it checks out, Save the montage and move to the next part...

Go to File>New>DVD Audio Project

Click green Plus sign (add audio montage)>Navigate to your saved Montage from above and add it

Click Wrench icon (settings)>get your settings how you want them, add still pictures if you want

Click Orange Square thing (Edit menus)>tweak out your menu, add pics whatever

{Just a suggestion, What I have been doing is to take an image in to photoshop and add the Band name and Title as part of the static image to import in to the menu creation tool. this way you get a lot more flexibility in the way the menus look. You can move the placement of the menu selections in the wavelab creation tool to show more or less of the image depending on what you want to do}

CLick Eyeglass icon (Check all)

If it checks out, Hit red CD icon (Create), and choose folder to output to

When done, Use Wavelab to burn the DVD using the folders that it output.

AKG c426, AKG414 XLS/ST, AKG ck61, ck22, >nBob colettes >PFA > V3, SD MixPre >  TCM-Mod Tascam HDP2, Sony M10

Offline sygdwm

• unknown sleath taper
  • Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #14 on: August 01, 2005, 07:04:16 PM »
{EDITED TO ADD Picture Track)

After all the Audio has been added. At the begining of the Track Pane is a drop down menu. Click on the drop down menu and choose "Insert Picture Track"

Then it Will create a Track under the Audio track where Images can be inserted. If you right click on the Picture Track it gives you an option to Insert Files...

Choose your Photo/s and insert them into the timeline as you want (If your DVD-A player supports it).

It gets a little tricky and you have to experiment a little. If you right click on the inserted photo it will give time in Milliseconds from the beginning of the track.

I noticed that depending on the selected Audio track you have highlighted when adding the photo it sometimes adds the photo to that Track and not the 1.
You wanted to be sure to dbl check it. (it will make more sense when it is in fron of you)

So with the above you can very easily add pictures to dispaly during each audio track or multiple (i havent done multiple yet. just 1 static image per song)

Also a suggestion if you want. Is if you have photoshop or something similar is to take each image per track and add name of track, or band notes etc.

this is what i was looking for. +t
i started the thread about how to burn a dvd-a. just couldnt figure the picture part out.
mics: (4)akg c460b(a60,mk46,ck1x,ck1,ck2,ck3,ck61,ck63)
pres: oade m148/edirol wmod ua5
recorders: marantz stock671/oade acm671/fostex busman vintage fr2le

(P.S.: On a threaded discussion board like this one, there's no need to repeat someone's post when you reply to them; everyone can see all the messages in the thread.)

Offline kindms

• The Breakfast
« Reply #15 on: August 01, 2005, 07:11:55 PM »
I stumbled on it trying to figure it out in the DVD-A portion of the creation, not the monatge part. So once I realized it would work i started from there. adding individual pictures and tweaking stuff in photoshop etc.

Only have a few days under the belt with it but I am really enjoying putting these together

Offline tapeworm48

• Taperssection Member
  • I'm running a dojo of coolness...
« Reply #16 on: August 02, 2005, 02:57:16 PM »

worth every dime as well

Thanks.  And it is audio-dvd that i am after, rather than DVD-A.
I just read up a little bit on this and it does look nice.  A few questions:

Are the recordings seamless?  or does it burn without gaps?
Can the software understand cue files?
How about txt files?

I think I will be trying this out and buying it soon after.

Thanks to all for the feedback!
A good friend will come bail you out of jail, but a true friend will be sitting next to you saying, "Damn... We F**ked Up."

Schoeps MK4s / AT831s / DPA4061s
Nbox / Tinybox v1.5 / SPSB-11 / CSbox
M10 / R09 / D100

07/19 Pearl Jam @ Wrigley Field
08/01 QOTSA @ Metro
08/02 Lollapalooza (NIN / QOTSA / Thievery / Band of Horses)
08/15 QOTSA @ Red Rocks
09/23 Arctic Monkeys @ Riviera Theater
10/18 Pearl Jam @ Barclays
10/19 Pearl Jam @ Barclays
10/21 Pearl Jam @ Wells Fargo Center
10/22 Pearl Jam @ Wells Fargo Center
11/15 NIN @ Hard Rock
11/16 NIN @ Hard Rock
12/06 Pearl Jam @ Key Arena

Offline audBall

• Trade Count: (37)
  • Feel brand new about it
« Reply #17 on: August 02, 2005, 03:10:20 PM »

Weren't there issues in the past w/ this program where it would accept 24bit files but only burn at 16/48 or something?  Has this changed to support burning at 24??  Or did I just smoke too much crack this morning?
mg m20.21.23 ■ akg ck61.62.63 »  nbob■naiant
aercomp2 ■ v2∞3 ■ sx-m2d2
d100 ■ pmd661 ■ r44ocm ■ f3

Offline The Kilted Taper

• Real men wear kilts.
« Reply #18 on: August 02, 2005, 03:15:05 PM »
It's been burning fine at 24/96 for me. At least according to the DVD player. And it's taking up most of the DVD, so it's got to be a larger file than a 16/44.

Gaps, I've had no issues, but others in the past have said they did. As mentioned in an earlier post it was suggested that you have to burn the image to your HD first, than use a seperate program to burn to DVD.

Don't know about cue and txt files, haven't tried.

Offline dklein

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #19 on: August 07, 2005, 12:33:56 AM »

Weren't there issues in the past w/ this program where it would accept 24bit files but only burn at 16/48 or something?  Has this changed to support burning at 24??  Or did I just smoke too much crack this morning?
You might be thinking about the resampling thing - 44.1 kHz sample rate  is not accepted in the DVD standard so it'll resample to 48 before burning.
KM 184 > V2 > R4
older recording gear: UA-5  / emagic A62 / laptop / JB3 / CSB / AD20 / Sharp MT-90 / Sony MDS-JE510
Playback: Pioneer DV-578 > Lucid DA 9624 >many funny little british boxes > Linn Isobarik PMS

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.075 seconds with 44 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com