Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Core-Sound PDAudio-CF  (Read 2511 times)

Offline SClassical

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Taperssection Member
Core-Sound PDAudio-CF
« on: September 28, 2005, 08:47:27 PM »
Hi, I pre-ordered my microtrack and I'm still waiting for it to arrive :( I have been reading a few postings about the microtrack from this discussion board. Now I'm wondering why people never discussed the down-side/bugs of core-sound PDAudio. It has been in the market for a few years now but it never got as popular as the microtrack. Can you tell me why??? Is there any down-side in purchasing a PDAudio-CF?

Anyone here used the PDAudio before and if so can you tell me if it is worth getting? I want to record at 24/96 for 2 hours continuously. I also want to have 24bit digital input so I can use my V3 preamp. I also want to adjust levels while the recorder is at pause mode. I can’t do any of these things with microtrack.

Reading about the down-side of the microtrack is a bit worrying because I already made my pre-order. So now should I consider core-sound's PDAudio? Please tell me something you know about PDAudio which makes it not worth getting to make me feel better.... (if not I might consider getting it, too).

Hope someone here has/used the PDAudio and can post some feedback. Thanks!
Mics: DPA3552 kit/DPA3521 kit/DPA SMK4081 kit/DPA SMK4060 kit/Schoeps 2X MK21, 2X MK22 and 2X MK4v and 2X Schoeps CCM2S
Mixers/preamps: Sonosax SX-M32/Sonosax SX-M2 LS/Grace Design V3/DPA MMA6000/Millennia HV-32P
Recorders: SD722/PCM-D50/MT2
Playback: Grace m903 - Sennheiser HD650 / Bowers & Wilkins Nautilus 805s

Offline Startstop

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Regular
  • Pastafarian
Re: Core-Sound PDAudio-CF
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2005, 08:53:43 PM »

Offline musicsherlock

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • Team Upstate New York
« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2005, 09:45:03 PM »
check with macdaddy on this board...he runs the PDAudio-CF

http://taperssection.com/index.php?topic=49016.0

Offline poorlyconditioned

• Taperssection All-Star
  • I'm a tapir!
« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2005, 10:00:21 PM »
Hi, I pre-ordered my microtrack and I'm still waiting for it to arrive :( I have been reading a few postings about the microtrack from this discussion board. Now I'm wondering why people never discussed the down-side/bugs of core-sound PDAudio. It has been in the market for a few years now but it never got as popular as the microtrack. Can you tell me why??? Is there any down-side in purchasing a PDAudio-CF?

Anyone here used the PDAudio before and if so can you tell me if it is worth getting? I want to record at 24/96 for 2 hours continuously. I also want to have 24bit digital input so I can use my V3 preamp. I also want to adjust levels while the recorder is at pause mode. I can’t do any of these things with microtrack.

Reading about the down-side of the microtrack is a bit worrying because I already made my pre-order. So now should I consider core-sound's PDAudio? Please tell me something you know about PDAudio which makes it not worth getting to make me feel better.... (if not I might consider getting it, too).

Hope someone here has/used the PDAudio and can post some feedback. Thanks!

I haven't used it, but I would be wary for two reasons.  First, I have to find my own computer/pod or whatever its called.  And then I have to deal with a third party for software.  If it were sold as a package it would be easier.  Hell, if I've got money, I don't want to work hard to spend it.  I want a single vendor.  The second thing is there may be more bugs/problems with different components.  I've already had my share of problems trying to get PCMCIA cards to work reliably in laptops...

Richard
Mics: Sennheiser MKE2002 (dummy head), Studio Projects C4, AT825 (unmodded), AT822 franken mic (x2), AT853(hc,c,sc,o), Senn. MKE2, Senn MKE40, Shure MX183/5, CA Cards, homebrew Panasonic and Transsound capsules.
Pre/ADC: Presonus Firepod & Firebox, DMIC20(x2), UA5(poorly-modded, AD8620+AD8512opamps), VX440
Recorders: Edirol R4, R09, IBM X24 laptop, NJB3(x2), HiMD(x2), MD(1).
** This individual has moved to user "illconditioned" **

Offline SClassical

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #4 on: September 28, 2005, 10:13:49 PM »
Thanks for posting .... I did a search and read the postings you suggested. No one seem to dislike the PDAudio which for me is worrying because I was hoping to read something bad about it to make me feel better (Read more of bad things regarding Len and core-sound than his PDAudio from my search :) ). I've read there are some concerns regarding 24/96 recording.... anyone encounter any problems recording at 24/96 with a 4GB CF card continuously using digital in? I know this is not possible with the microtrack. Thanks
Mics: DPA3552 kit/DPA3521 kit/DPA SMK4081 kit/DPA SMK4060 kit/Schoeps 2X MK21, 2X MK22 and 2X MK4v and 2X Schoeps CCM2S
Mixers/preamps: Sonosax SX-M32/Sonosax SX-M2 LS/Grace Design V3/DPA MMA6000/Millennia HV-32P
Recorders: SD722/PCM-D50/MT2
Playback: Grace m903 - Sennheiser HD650 / Bowers & Wilkins Nautilus 805s

Offline macdaddy

• Trade Count: (10)
  • Needs to get out more...
« Reply #5 on: September 28, 2005, 10:30:40 PM »
never done anything other than 16/48, as that is the output of my sbm1...

it works flawlessly if the handheld running it has enough processing power, and if your media is fast enough...

i use live2496. the guy who designed the software, gordon, is a member of this board (uername "live2496"). he would be the one to talk to about 24/96 recording...

also - check the pencomputing group @ yahoo - that is all about pda recording...

oh, and +t (yer first) for thinking about it (hit u 2, musicsherlock ;) )
-macdaddy ++

akg c422 > s42 > lunatec v2 > ad2k+ > roland r-44

Offline Digital Quality

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #6 on: September 29, 2005, 12:27:53 AM »
I've been considering going to a system like that. Dell has a new handheld out so the X50v should be coming down a good bit on ebay. They are going for around $300 still.

Basically, I should have never even looked at them because now I want one. Beware of the dangers of handheld pc window shopping!  >:D

Correction: ~$330 for new "unopened".
« Last Edit: September 29, 2005, 02:31:26 AM by Riff Raff »
You are here: http://www.atlasoftheuniverse.com/
http://antwrp.gsfc.nasa.gov/apod/astropix.html

rig:         mk41/21>kc5>cmc6>KindKables>v3>Axim x50v,WM6,live2496
playback: Marantz DV7600>Mackie 1202>Mackie HR824

Offline IowaClint

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #7 on: September 29, 2005, 09:02:35 AM »
Yep the dell is the way to go.  If you get a ipaq 5555 you will have to overclock it about 25%.  I use a Ipaq 5555 and have never had a problem.  Gordon has been very helpful with all of the questions I have asked.  For 24/96 I use a portable hard drive with the Ipaq.  I was using a microdrive but it started acting up at 24/96 works great with 24/48 though.
Clint

Offline live2496

• Trade Count: (6)
  • Taperssection Member
    • Gidluck Mastering
« Reply #8 on: September 29, 2005, 11:20:04 AM »
Hi,
As mentioned, I am the developer of a software application for PDAudio.

You should have good results recording at 24/96 on newer systems recording to SD memory. I recommend the 624mHz systems now like the Dell X50v, hp hx4705, hp hx2750. The older H5100, H5500, and H2200 series (all 400mHz) work great recording to SD also. I'm not recommending recording to flac at 24/96 just yet.

We did have problems maintaining 24/96 using expansion packs and recording to compact flash, pc card drives and microdrives. Craig T. who has put up a lot of shows on bt.etree.org uses an older 3800 series and an expansion pack and a PCMCIA<->Addonics Pocket Exdrive.  He has been having good success with it, and uses a method I developed called "update mode recording". I won't go into the details of that here, but it can make some configurations to work at 24/96.

Initially, we did have problems in software. These problems had to do with buffering and alignment of samples within the buffers. There are some things about the driver that I wish were a little more "application friendly", but I have been able to make adjustments accordingly. I was having some problem keeping 24-bit samples perfectly aligned. Early on, this resulted in white noise, and some jumpy or low levels in metering. Quality issues in the software have been addressed.

Also, to begin with, there was no way to monitor, but that has now been implemented. However, currently it is limited to the capabilities of the pocket pc hardware which is up to 16-bit 48kHz. Since monitoring is done digitally, there are latencies with it. It's better to monitor off the analog source.

SD is limited in practical storage capacity at 24/96. We get around this by using a media swap feature. You can actually remove the media while recording and put in another. The recording is stored to internal storage while swapping. This also works with expansion packs. The catch is that you have to be able to write to the internal file store at whatever rate you are recording. The file store is slower as it writes in a compressed format.

The media swap is a unique feature among recorders, and that is something that I think you won't see with the Microtracker. One thing about the pocket pc is that it is programmable and the programmer is designing the software with tapers in mind! Live2496 is designed for long continuous recording, and no loss of samples is important.

I am still working on the user interface, but I decided early on to put the emphasis on the basic recording function first to ensure that it handled it's primary function nicely.

If you have further questions I will be glad to answer here.

Gordon

AEA R88MKII > SPL Crimson 3 > Tascam DA-3000

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.095 seconds with 34 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com